Xbox overheating and shutdown

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

yes, I deleted the mods, the game, reinstalled and still this problem is there!

Brief description of the issue:

As soon as I start at any airport, and as soon as I fly out of it, with a 99% probability, my console will turn off and I will see a message about overheating

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

31/08/2023 13:32 UTC (16:32 Moscow)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

This can happen anywhere, maybe 5 minutes after departure, or maybe 30

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

[1.33.8.0]

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Assuming that an Xbox has one or more internal fans, are they working?  If you have access to the device’s “bios”, can you change the fan’s temperature profile so that they’re always running?

I used to have problems with my PC’s video card because the fans took too long to start spinning.  The default settings kept the fans off until there was too much heat to dissipate.  I set the fan’s temperature profile so that they never go below 50% speed and since then they’ve never needed to go faster

Have you tried blowing it out with some canned air?

Depending on how long you’ve had the 'box and where it’s located, you may have a bit of dust inside.

After thoroughly cleaning out the dust, if it still overheats, make sure that there’s enough room for air to get in the vents and it’s not on a soft surface.

(My sister used to go through laptops like candy until I told her that she shouldn’t put them on a pillow on her lap.)

If that doesn’t solve the problem, I’ve seen postings, (perhaps here?), talking about adding external fans to an Xbox to improve air flow.

Overheating is almost always an issue with insufficient airflow caused by dust or placement or something.

Disclosure:
I don’t own an Xbox.  My advice is based on years of experience destroying electronics by asking it to do things the manufacturer never imagined in his worst nightmares!

Hello @YAdeB1LL,

Please see this post from Xbox Support that describes how to position your Xbox console to ensure proper cooling and ventilation.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/hardware-network/console/position-ventilate-console

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

Hello!
The console is upright, there is a lot of space. Maybe the problem is due to addons, but the problem is not in the console for sure. I don’t have this in any game, but for some reason it is in MSFS

1 Like

I have also had my XSX suddenly shut off completely while playing MSFS, and it has only ever happened with MSFS. I get no error messages though, when I power up the console again it is as if nothing happened. Lately it has happened much less for whatever reason.

EDIT: it’s upright with lots of space in all directions.

2 Likes

Same!!! Today I completely formatted my console, reinstalled MSFS, installed ONLY airports and pmdg 737-8, flew out of Oslo and my console completely turned off

Oh my god, how it infuriates me, it’s only with this game, it stands upright, there is enough space around.
Either Asobo broke the game, or PMDG broke the Boeing.

1 Like

Hi, do you still get this issue if you uninstall the PMDG 737 and all other third party add-ons?

1 Like

Whilst the Series X has adequate cooling, I knew it wouldn’t be enough. The case and cooling design is thought out but I started using two 140mm fans. Simple push from the bottom and pull from the top.
Got them from Amazon. Work really well and very low noise. I’d recommend one for even a Series S.
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4, Quiet 140mm USB Fan Amazon AC 140mm Fans

Also, get yourself a powered USB hub if you’re running multiple peripherals. Helps lessen up the power demand from them and thus cut down on heat.

1 Like

Hi! I found the source of the problem! It turned out to be multiplayer!! As soon as I turned it off, everything worked, nothing crashes, in any weather, time, etc.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for the recommendation! I will see what is in my country

1 Like

That’s great :slight_smile:

However it still sounds like you have a bit of an overheating issue, your Xbox shouldn’t shut down from overheating no matter what add-ons or multiplayer settings you have.

You might have excessive dust and fluff inside your Xbox that needs cleaning out (I recently did mine a few weeks ago), however opening the case WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

If your Xbox is under warranty and has overheating issues you should contact Microsoft about it.

3 Likes

My Xbox is completely dust-free (I cleaned it 2 months ago). This problem is observed only in MSFS, in other games this is not the case.

2 Likes

That makes sense, MSFS is probably the most CPU intensive game you can play on an Xbox.

1 Like

Definite heat issue. No other title puts as much stress on a system, not just Xbox. What’s your ambient temperature?

1 Like

15-16 degrees Celsius

1 Like

Turning off Multiplayer is NOT a solution, just as loading MSFS, but not going past the menu system, into FLY, is also NOT a solution !!

Is there any way (on an X-box) to get a reading of the CPU core temperatures, and the heatsink temperature. ?

Sounds like you may have a defective X-box , as everyone with an X-box and MSFS is not having this issue.

I don’t know if it really needed , but I run MSFS on a Laptop, and knowing I was going to be running MSFS on it, I got a Fan Tray to go under it, and have never had any signs of overheating,

1 Like

No, I just turned off the multiplayer and it worked. The problem is not in the xbox, the problem is specifically in the MSFS. Before this update, everything was great. As soon as it came out, I started noticing this error. The console does not heat up, the bottom is completely cold, the top is warm, everything is as it should be

1 Like

Multiplayer causes it to overheat because it is having to run additional processes for multiplayer, this means that the CPU is working harder and is getting hotter.

Your Xbox should not overheat and shut down because of this, it is not normal. If it was multiplayer causing Xboxes to overheat there would be hundreds of people with overheating Xboxes!

3 Likes

Very interesting. Blame my xbox. Great. It does not make noise, it works absolutely quietly in all games where I can play multiplayer for hours, whether it is any popular online game. The console was cleaned completely a few months ago and there are no complaints. Stands in a completely ventilated room. MSFS works fine if MULTIPLAYER IS OFF, works fine with real traffic.
Again, there were no problems in MSFS until the last update. After it, “overheating” began, all the statistics flew off and the download speed in the content manager completely broke down.
In May, there were no problems when PMDG first came out on the Marketplace. All was good.
I give a 900% guarantee that the fault of my console is not here.

2 Likes

So what are you going to do. ?

• Revert back to the Non beta (and be 100% sure it is the beta)
    Watch out you do not loose your logbook going back ( BACK IT UP !!)

or

• Never use Multiplayer again - unless it magically starts working again,

Just strange, that with all the X-boxes out there, you are the only one reporting overheating specifically with MP turned on –

I am not going to question your conclusions, but you are sure are â€œĐĐ”ŃŃ‡Đ°ŃŃ‚Đ»ĐžĐČыĐč”

1 Like