Xbox Series S/X Headtracking

I looked quickly for a related topic but couldn’t find one, maybe there is one I don’t know so apologies if there is.

I’m on Xbox, upgraded from the One S to Series S recently just for this sim, before all I had was War Thunder’s sim mode, which tbf is a good start for new pilots.

Anyway, I literally have a Rii i7 Mini wireless mouse/remote strapped to my headset, because on War Thunder you can basically use it for head tracking, and I’ve just mapped holding A on my HOTAS One with the hat switch to move pilot view up, down, left, right. Works great considering there isn’t any actual head tracking on Xbox.

On War Thunder too, I can use that to look around and still separately use my wired mouse for menus etc.

I was pretty disappointed with MSFS to find that, for me atleast, I can’t do this. I also can’t just press B on my HOTAS to zoom, like War Thunder again. I can map ‘focus mode’ to B, but if you’re looking at instruments it’ll move the view to those instruments.

Anyone know a workaround, or if they have plans to work on this? Anyone know about the zoom thing? Ideally I just want to zoom in and out to a set level with the one button, I don’t want an axis.

Last thing, I’m not familiar with forums, I don’t know if long posts like this are normal or if people prefer I just get to the point so please let me know!

3 Likes

That is a brilliant image that your description has put in my head and a pretty neat workaround. (was it an officially supported/suggested tracking solution or did you figure that out yourself?)

2 Likes

Uploading: 16293725263125807569156433048919.jpg…

I looked it up, I was looking for headtracking on Xbox and a couple people did this in the search results, I don’t think many people know about it though. Gives you a big advantage in War Thunder as you can almost guarantee that other console players aren’t able to look around properly in a fight.

I don’t know if that image has worked

Do console players have to go up against PC players with TrackIR or VR?

(VR works pretty smoothly in WT and VR is utterly awesome in a dogfight)

1 Like

We don’t have to, but crossplay is on by default. I’ve seen it on YouTube in both VR and with TrackIR. I’m jealous!

Don’t be! Come to the dark side. (we have cookies…and VR)

In all seriousness though, yes. VR is very cool but it’s not really required for MSFS2020. I actually use my screens and headtracking because I flights are longer and/or I want to have navigation tools etc open on other screens or devices which I can’t see in VR.

Aerobatics and combat are where VR really shines and if you ever come to the darkside I would recommend IL-2. It’s very good indeed with VR.

Hope you get your tracking sorted and/or somebody actually makes a workable tracking solution for the xbone.

1 Like

Is there any chance TrackIR (or something like it) is coming to Xbox? It would be great to have this functionality on consoles for FS, but I couldn’t find anything online to indicate that it is in the works…

2 Likes

I want to, but it’s out of my price range right now. I’d likely use TrackIR too so I can still see the controls on flight panels and MFDs etc. Plus I’d want to properly learn an aircraft before immersing myself into it in VR and not knowing what to do and where. Last thing I want to do on my first VR trip is scare myself to death when the ground comes at me fast!

Thanks, I just hope they hotfix it so my current thing works, if War Thunder can do it, MSFS can!

I doubt it, I haven’t heard anything about it. Majority of Xbox players aren’t serious enough about simming for it to be a viable thing for Microsoft to implement, atleast that’s how it seems. Maybe with MSFS out now, and Turtle Beach making their Xbox yoke and throttles, more people will get into it on that level. I dunno though, they might be content with the ‘quick look’ on the hat sticks :man_shrugging:t2:

I can’t find the Rii i7 mini available anywhere in the UK for a reasonable price for something that is a little bit of a gamble so I have just bought this from Amazon to try your head tracking hack with Warthunder, maybe Elite Dangerous and deffinately FS2020 on xbox series x. I will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

It’s not a gamble at all for War Thunder, it definitely works, but I’d recommend having a button held down for it, so you can release and the view goes back to default. If you try to treat it like PC headtracking, it doesn’t always look straight ahead when you bring your head back to default position. I’ll show you my settings for it if you need, just let me know.

As for FS2020, last I checked it doesn’t work. Haven’t played Elite Dangerous but hope it works for you!

Thanks, the gamble was going for the unknown brand of air mouse. I will let you know how I get on with it though.

1 Like

Ohhh, got ya. Well good luck!

first test shows the cheap amazon gyro mouse remote works on Warthunder but as mentioned in other posts above not in FS

Have you tried putting everythint to “manual” in the camera menu? If you bring up the camera thing using the toolbar there are a few settings, which sometimes are in automatic by default.

I’m thinking whether it’s possible or not to assign it to the same command as the Controller RS, instead of the equivalent of holding the RMB and looking around.

I’m very interested in doing something similar myself.

Also that thing has ar least 4 axis right?

Just curious if there’s been any progress on this front. Would love to get something working.

I managed it to get it working, but it’s not perfect, basically the game cannot handle more than one mouse at the time, so I just use the buttons on my USB hub to switch between an actual mouse and the “headtracker” depending on what aicraft I want to fly, or if I need to do something in particular (like during start up and after landing.

I also have binded the camera freelock (IIRC, I’ll check it later) to the trigger on my flight stick, so I can activate and deactivate the “head tracking” at will. It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better for VFR where you don’t have to continuously press switches in the cockpit, or if you use a controller and not a mouse. BTW, the controller cursor works fine, but you have to keep your head still otherwise it will pick up the input, or I turn off the USB input on my USB hub.

It’s definitely not usable for airliners (unless you have enough of a home cockpit to not need to use the mouse extensively), but it’s really good for VFR and messing around in fighter jets

3 Likes

Do Xbox users have the ability to use TrackIR?

was also missing head tracking on my Xbox and now built something that transfers the head movement to the right stick :grinning: I also added a zone in the center where no head movement is considered…

7 Likes