Xbox Series X review: Flightbeam's Auckland NZAA & Wellington NZWN bundle

Aircraft used: Default 32N, LVFR 320, AT7, PMDG 738
Live weather: on

NOTE: I’m reviewing these together since many people are likely to buy them as a bindle due to the discount.

Flightbeam are a respected developer who have a bit of a reputation for taking their time creating and releasing sceneries. Like FlyTampa, people get excited about each release, knowing that many months of diligent research and work will have gone into making them.

NZAA and NZWN come in a bundle, which reduces the total price by a few pounds compared to buying them separately. Since most will not want one without the other, I’m guessing the majority of sales are of the bundle.

DETAIL

Both sceneries are quite old now, in MSFS terms, and it is beginning to show in the lower-res texturing. That said, they’re fine when viewed from the flightdeck, and Flightbeam have an almost unique knack of creating their textures with incredible realism. Of all the renowned devs, they create the most authentic textures — every building looks almost photoreal, with just the right amount of weathering. You never see those ‘cartoonish’ looks associated with many devs, that make the buildings fit rather awkwardly into their surroundings. One effect they seem particularly apt at is creating ‘frosted’ effects on windows, giving them the kind of weathered look you’d expect, being constantly exposed to the elements.

Both airports have some good detail extending well back from the airside areas. NZWN’s tower, for instance, is located in a retail park(!), which Flightbeam have faithfully recreated. At NZAA, you’ll see many buildings and structures as you head into the city — it really is decent attention to detail, well outside the airport boundaries.

Apron textures are first-class. Every repair, every tyre mark, every oil spill… complete with some outstanding reflective effects. Ground markings are good — not too garish, not too muted. Wellington in particular has a superb sense of realism about it (‘moody’ is the word), although that’s likely down to the real-world airport rather than Auckland being inferior. The aprons are brimming with custom clutter and you’ll see custom ops and security vehicles driving around.

Where both airports fall short in 2023 is terminal interior modelling. Perhaps unimportant to some but NZWN is the better of the two; however it’s all quite low-res and the internal lighting is poor. There’s a huge model eagle dangling from the ceiling in NZWN’s main concourse but it’s very hard to see with so little illumination. There is a little 3D modelling in each but the majority of interior textures are simple 2D overlays, which don’t look particularly good.

PERFORMANCE

Pre-SU13 both caused me problems, however stability wasn’t the worst I’ve seen, given how complex these airports are. Possibly marginally below average in 2023 but Su13 has helped a bit. Both will still black screen with excessive drone and exterior view use, and if you continue for too long during black screen incidents, both will likely CTD. I will say, though, that crashes are manageable.

As for how they run, I’ve suffered very few stutters. The vast majority of my flights to and from both have been buttery smooth, even when the bulk fo the detail has been displayed on screen.

VERDICT

When released, these airports were top-notch. And they still hold up well today, although of course their appeal will wane with time as they become increasingly outdated. But the authenticity of those textures is something no one will be able to take away from Flightbeam. Some devs have rivalled them, but not as consistently. If you’re not too bothered about flying in and out of two of New Zealands’ biggest hubs (the only other international airport in the country is Christchurch) I wouldn’t say these sceneries are must-haves. They’re not particularly cheap, even as a bundle, but I think they just about manage to justify their current price. Of the two, Wellington is definitely the better, likely because a smaller airport can be more detailed. It’s also situated in a more scenic part of the country, making operations that bit more interesting.

Of course if you’re a New Zealand native, or fly a lot in NZ, they’re absolutely essential. Whatever your reasons for buying these airports, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. But there are slight stability issues with both, and Flightbeam have never been a dev to quickly patch their work (if ever).

If this bundle were a high school report, it would read, “Good, but could do better”.

NZAA IMAGES

NZWN IMAGES

The model eagle, dangling from the ceiling in the main concourse. Perhaps a waste of detail, given the poor internal lighting.

2 Likes

43 pictures? I thought there was a limit!!??

What difference does it make? I’m reading on my phone as I always do and I’ve had no issues from it. I for one really appreciate this detail for 2 airports I’ve been considering for some time but not yet hit the button on.

One minor error in the description, NZQN also has flights to multiple Australian cities.

2 Likes

Yes, forgot about that one…

NZWN is definitely the better of the two but its real-life location partly dictates that. I love how the nightlighting illustrates the very noticeable difference between older sodium lights and the new LEDs.

I doubt you’d be dissatisfied with NZAA, though.

2 Likes

Also NZDN Dunedin, NZWN Queenstown. See:

Pre COVID, NZHN Hamilton and NZRO Rotorua also had scheduled international services.

Nice write up on the Flightbeam scenery. Lack of interior terminal models = higher performance :+1:

1 Like

Just looking (quite by chance) at the arrivals at NZDN for the past three days and the only flights are to NZAA, NZCH and NZWN, by ANZ and Jetstar. Nothing international. NZQN, however, does have service to Oz, with ANZ, Virgin Oz, Qantas and Jetstar.

The sim does quite well for NZ airports, I think NZNV, NZNP, NZNR, NZHN, NZTG and NZWB are probably the last major ones left for someone to do (since NZPM is in the pipeline courtesy of Xwind Studios).

1 Like

Indeed, we certainly punch above our weight for airport scenery’s for a country with a relatively small population!

NZNV is reportly on Orbx’s future release list, NZNP is nearly complete by Riddlez Interactive, there’s a great freeware NZNR on flightsim.to from NZA Simulations who have also recently teased a look at the NZTG that they’re developing on their discord.

NZA are also redoing NZNR as a ‘Proline’ product. Xwind seem to be a new dev but they’re already about to drop their second airport (which looks much better than the first).

Oz is also well covered, although it’s disappointing to see that there’s currently no decent Cairns or Darwin. AUScene are nearing completion on Toowoomba Wellcamp but I’d sooner have the big hubs first.

Others I know are in the pipeline are Gold Coast (think that’s Orbx) and Sunshine Coast, which I think Impulse are doing? There’s certainly a billboard advertising it as ‘coming soon’ in one of the Aussie airports I own. When I contacted Impulse recently, they did say Cairns was on their radar at some stage. There has actually just been a version released but it doesn’t look like it’s up to Impulse/AUScene/Orbx standard.

1 Like

YBCS is available from OrbxCentral as of 4 days ago, although created by ‘TAIMODELS’ rather than in house like you said:

I havnt heard any negative reviews of the addon- I see it has a well modelled terminal interior which is better than other payware I’ve purchased from Orbx!

1 Like

Yes, the interior is about the best-looking thing about it. Exterior textures seem a bit sterile and uniform. I’d much rather AUScene, Impulse or Orbx proper get their hands on it!

I’d really like to see IniBuilds get stuck into Cairns, their stuff lately is phenomenal!

Impulse was going to do Darwin but they met with resistance rather than assistance from the airport authority so I think they’ve dropped it, which is a real shame.

I’ve got the Cairns city scenery I’m pretty sure that was Impulse. I’ve been looking at YBCS since it came out to complement that.

Yeah, it is. I have it too, picked it up for £4.99 in a sale a few months back. It’s really good!

1 Like

How is the black screen performance in relation to NZA Simulations airports, Christchurch for example? For me NZCH runs quite smooth in terms of not stuttering, but black screens can sneak up on me even with the PMDG. Certainly not doing anything crazy with the drone camera.

If these perform better than that, I would gladly try them out.

I’d say they’re both better than NZA’s NZCH but only marginally. In turn, NZWN is marginally better than NZAA, which isn’t surprising with the size difference.

Well I decided to give it a go…black screens at NZAA on my first takeoff in the PMDG with calm weather, no traffic and conservative settings. Pretty disheartening to say the least. I’ll give it a few more tries.

1 Like

It took me about 20 minutes with the drone to capture all the NZAA screenshots. Just as I was completing the last one it black-screened (if you have the place and POI markers on you can always tell because a little white box will appear around the indicator icon in the sky).

NZWN was fine, I managed to take all shots without issue.

I’ve used the PMDG 738 at NZWN but I don’t think I’ve actually used it at NZAA. The two 320s and ATR should be much better.

Yeah its concerning, cant say Ive ever had black screens that fast anywhere, not even at NZCH or Dublin which I’d say are 2 of the heavier sceneries I visit. If I was flying the drone camera around for 20 minutes then I would expect it, frankly that sounds like a much more demanding load then what I put it through. I spawned at the cargo ramp and taxied down to rwy 5 with some pretty significant shutters and then when accelerating for takeoff on the runway, as I come back towards the terminal again and items start loading in, thats when the black screens came.

I will try out NZWN when I get a chance but in my experience the PMDG is the best performing plane I have by far, better than the ATR. I’d say they’re close but I cant imagine one being better than the other.

NZCH is definitely worse for me — I can’t typically land or take off with the PMDG 738 without black screens! But as I say, I really don’t ever recall using the 737 at NZAA. As long as I have other routes I can do with other airliners, I’m not too fussed about airports being 100% stable with the 737 (as long as they’re decent with the 320s and ATRs).