Xbox Series X review: Flightbeam's Minneapolis St. Paul KMSP

Aircraft used: LVFR 320, PMDG 738
Live weather: on

Justifiably, Flightbeam have always received enormous praise for their incredibly realistic-looking airports; however at times I feel they’re somewhat overhyped. They are certainly among the top five but the likes of IniBuilds and Pyreegue are, in my opinion, just as good and, in some respects, better. So, does KMSP live up to the hype?

DETAIL

Flightbeam have put the majority of their effort into making the terminal area look as realistic as possible and they’ve done a stellar job. Some of the texturing is a little lower-res than I would have liked but it’s decent enough where it matters.

Despite the marketing claims there’s no real interior to speak of — just a nice-looking vista from the cockpit of a parked airliner but that’s really all you need. You can get inside but it’s a bit temperamental, and what’s to be seen isn’t particularly aesthetic once you’re in there.

Ground textures airside are simply fantastic and retain much of their detail when viewed from altitude. There are no jagged curves in the taxiway and apron markings. The apron itself features those wonderful reflective oil stains we’ve come to love about Flightbeam airports, and it hosts some really decent static clutter, custom-modelled specifically for this airport. It’s all high-res, too! A feature I absolutely love is the airside road tunnel that goes under part of the terminal, near stand G4 — it’s incredibly well done!

The terminal landside isn’t as impressive, with the roads and car-parks being of significantly lower resolution but I’d say they’ve done a slightly better job than FlyTampa or Drzewiecki do in these areas.

Away from the terminals all airside peripheral buildings and structures have been equally well modelled and there are far more of them than I expected. There are three static aircraft dotted about: two Hercs outside the national Guard facility and an old DC-9 used as a fire trainer. The bad news is that, again, some of the ground textures in these areas are much lower-res and in places they’re downright poor. In one location there are flat 2D aircraft — presumably part of an outdoor museum collection — that really should have been erased altogether and replaced with grass if they didn’t feel up to the task of modelling them. Even worse, on Delta’s maintenance ramp there are the dismembered 2D horizontal stabs of several airliners sticking out from the edge of the concrete! This REALLY should have been addressed but, thankfully, it’s an area few virtual pilots will go diligently exploring.

PERFORMANCE

I’ve always been lukewarm towards Flightbeam’s optimisation. Their two New Zealand airports (NZAA and NZWN) aren’t particularly stable on Xbox, especially when you consider they contain a significant number of lower-res textures. However KMSP seems far better optimised for console and I’ve found it as solid as a rock so far, offering superb framerate performance to boot. Surprisingly, the download size is less than 500mb!

VERDICT

KMSP has changed my opinion of Flightbeam slightly, in a positive way. Despite the many lower-res textures, they’ve put the detail where it really matters and unless you get super-close it all looks rather splendid — about as close to photoreal as you can get.

It sits really well within the photogrammetry and performance and stability are top-notch. It’s a shame more wasn’t done to tidy up some of the default satellite imagery away from the terminals but you’re really not likely to notice unless you specifically go looking. Besides, we now know an update is on the way which hopefully will address some of the key flaws.

As a package this airport isn’t quite perfect but it’s well rounded and I fully recommend it to every Xbox simmer. It’s rare that I praise the value of a £17 airport but it’s absolutely worth it.

IMAGES

Hopefully the ugly satellite imagery will be tidied up in the upcoming update. There are back ends of planes that should have been scrubbed, and 3D cars sitting atop satellite ones.

8 Likes

Question for you. When you load in at an airport do you select a gate and start Cold and Dark, or do you spawn on the runway? I ask because I’m considering LVFR’s static aircraft pack but I’m wondering how folks select a gate to start at if most of them have static aircraft parked at them. Is it a problem for you?

I normally start C&D at the gate but it depends what mood I’m in. Sometimes I just want to get airborne and have a more ‘game’ style flight so I spawn on the runway. You get used to what stands are occupied at your regular airports using LVFR’s pack so it becomes fairly easy to select a vacant gate. Not so easy at the other end when ATC directs you towards an occupied stand (seems to happen a lot) but it’s simple enough to use a neighbouring space and still have access to ground support.

While not perfect, LVFR’s static pack is a must for Xbox users in my opinion. It really does add life to
over 400 airports worldwide and most of the aircraft modelling is really good, until you get right up next to them. Even then, they’re better than many static airliners the devs place at their airports. The only issue (and it’s only minor) is the colour variation between aircraft sporting the same liveries — for example, Delta’s blue is much lighter on the 321s than it is on the 738s, 739s and 330s. It can look a little odd from the lit side in bright sunlight but in most cases you don’t notice.

The only other thing is aircraft placement at some third-party airports. I’ve noticed aircraft stuck in buildings but it’s quite rare and of course it’s not really the dev’s fault as the product is optimised for the default fields.

I’ve been flying the 738 in and out of KMSP most of the day today and there’s no bother whatsoever. Exterior views, drone… you name it — whatever you chuck at it, it doesn’t falter.

I’m still shocked all that detail comes in a less-than-500mb download! If this is what Xbox users can expect from future Flightbeam releases, I’ll be buying every one!

3 Likes

I too flew into the new KMSP from CYWG on Asobo’s 787-10 and all was good. It was a pleasure!

2 Likes

I’ve never had any problems with performance at either of these on X Box but small GA planes are about all I fly. NZAA is one of my favorites. Looking forward to getting KMSP.

Images added.

Not on xbox, but picked this up last week. It is nice. I also saw that their website says v1.1 is on the way.

2 Likes

MSP-EWR (Dz) today was flawless fun in the -700 on Series X, live weather, no traffic, Airport Static Aircraft installed, no rolling cache. We will never know but I wonder if Asobo has been sneaking in hot fixes of whatever ails MSFS 2020 LOL! It’s all good and getting better folks. Of course good memory maintenance and light server loads make all the difference so keep those caches clear and reboot, reboot, reboot the box every dang flight!

Great review and pics, thanks! Fun to read. I’ve gotten many a barely-acceptable lunch at that pictured Holiday gas station, and driven under those tunnels to the MSP public flight observation area a few times as well :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see what updates bring. I’m very happy with the purchase as well and will be flying Delta ops into and out of this airport quite a bit in the near future.

1 Like

I imagine the update will tidy up the satellite imagery issues and place a few modelled buildings over some of it. It’s pretty awful at the moment but I think Flightbeam knew it was in areas unlikely to be seen by the average virtual pilot and so left if there for release with the intention of fixing it retrospectively.

As I mentioned I suspect they wanted it out as soon as possible due to the imminent release of the BMW/Amsim version — which should actually be a pretty good competitor, particularly in the terminal landside and perimeter detail departments.