Xbox Series X review: Pyreegue Dev Co.'s East Midlands EGNX

Aircraft used: default 32N, LVFR 320, AT7, PMDG 738
Live weather: on

DETAIL

Unless you’ve been living on the ocean floor for the last few months, you’ll likely have heard a great deal about this airport from Ukrainian dev Pygeegue. But is it worthy of the hype?

The short answer is ‘yes’. Pound for pound, it rightfully sits at the very top of the ‘most detailed MSFS airport’ list. There’s really nothing not to like about the level of detail — it’s truly stunning and currently only rivalled by two, later-released airports: AUScene’s YBHM and IniBuilds’ EGHI. Incidentally, it’s the first Pyreegue airport to feature an accurate terrain profile. I won’t go into more detail (pardon the pun!); I’ll just let the images below do the talking…

PERFORMANCE

The initial release was pretty poor — it was prone to black screens and CTDs, both easily triggered with even very conservative drone/exterior cam use. It was also extremely stuttery, particularly when on finals for runway 27 and when taxiing with the main terminal in the frame. Just a couple of weeks later the dev released a patch, which improved things considerably. That’s not to say performance and stability are now perfect — because they’re not — but you have to bear in mind that we’re dealing with the most detailed airport ever released for MSFS. Put simply, this airport is so incredible that the remaining issues can easily be overlooked.

Oddly, I always found the AT7 to be the weak link with this airport (it’s usually the PMDG 738!), even after the release of the patch. Then along came SU13 and things have been rather good ever since. It will still black screen after excessive drone use but CTDs are rare, and exterior camera angles don’t trouble it as much as they once did. I often replicate reality by doing circuits in my Ryanair 738 and I can do about 5-6 using a variety of exterior views before it typically black screens (and even then the screens often return after a few minutes). Unfortunately much of the stuttering remains, although it is slightly improved.

Given the level of detail I’d say performance and stability are now just shy of excellent.

VERDICT

Having the greatest airport currently available for MSFS does have some drawbacks in the performance department but it’s simply the price console simmers must pay for an ultra-high-fidelity airport on their platform. Pyreegue’s EGNX has set a new bar for airport development and it’s extremely high! A couple of devs have managed to rival the level of static detail and have achieved smoother performance to boot, but only because their airports are smaller. EGNX’s detail fans out way, way beyond the perimeter fence, including Donington Park racetrack (complete with animated cars) and Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station, located some 3 miles away from the runway 27 threshold! There are also the custom animations: the revolving terminal doors, the blue/yellow Skylink buses (that pull up at the airport bus station and open their doors!), the various barriers that are raised to let vehicles access restricted areas, the functioning clock in the RR hangar…

It’s not a cheap airport but there are inferior examples that are similarly priced (and even more expensive). It commands a higher price because it can; because you’re getting an awful lot of airport for your money.

IMAGES

3 Likes