Xbox Series X review: UK2000's Belfast City EGAC

Aircraft used: default 32N, LVFR 320, AT7
Live weather: on

DETAIL

Uk2000, aka Gary Summons, is one of the veteran scenery developers, having made airports for MSFS as long ago as FS2000. Back then, UK2000’s work was held in very high regard (the ‘Pyreegue’ of the day), however his development techniques seem to have settled more into the mid-range in the current version of MSFS.

EGAC is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. That might sound a bit too critical initially but I must stress, I don’t mean it does everything badly. The terminal building is modelled quite nicely, with textures of a sufficient resolution (neither high res nor particularly low-res). The ground markings are clear and crisp and the apron generally is done to a very satisfactory standard, with various patches and stains. The taxiways and runway look okay but perhaps look a little clean. There are runway guard lights — or wig-wags — which project a little too much light by day but look great at night. We even get a partial terminal interior, with some passengers (a small number animated), although getting in with the drone for a look is tricky, with a tendency to boot you onto the roof if you try to enter at the ‘wrong’ height. Apron clutter is very good and the right amount has been included.

The landside areas are surprisingly well done, with the dual carriageway that runs past the airport having been fully modelled — even down to the footbridge close to the 04 threshold, and the train station (with static train) opposite. There are static people and cars outside the terminal, and the car-parks are fully populated with a good number of static (but fairly low-res) vehicles. All airport roads are properly done, with correct UK markings, although their textures aren’t likely to blow you away. There’s currently a bit of construction work going on to the south of the terminal and the fencing in the area reflects this, with presumably the name of the contractor plastered all over it. We also get advertising billboards but the texture resolution does take a tumble. Finally, we get some custom vegetation, which is good, if not a touch repetitive.

Away from the airport we have the sprawling Spirit Aerosystems complex on the northwest side (plus some warehouses), and to the east the Holywood Exchange shopping complex, which includes Ikea (with bold text on the roof), Sainsbury’s, B&Q and a number of smaller shops and restaurants. The texturing here is a bit lower-res than that found at the terminal (and the Ikea blue is the wrong tone) but there are small parallax interiors and plenty of parked cars.

PERFORMANCE

Perhaps predictably, performance and stability are excellent. I’d have been disappointed had I suffered issues, because similarly-sized airports with this level of detail are typically fine.

VERDICT

EGAC is UK2000’s penultimate work, London City being the latest (and most advanced). It’s a nicely rounded airport — it doesn’t do anything innovative, and it’s not got the eye candy of some of 2023’s sceneries, but it functions flawlessly and vastly improves on the default area. No stuttering, no black screens and no CTDs. I’d say there are more detailed airports of a similar size out there, for the same or less money, but if you’re keen to add EGAC to your operations I can fully recommend it (especially if you’re an ATR flyer). It’s an important airport if you fly at lot of UK regional routes, and there’s just about enough here to sustain a good level of immersion. I have Orbx’s GB North pack, which adds a few key buildings to the city, making the runway 04 approach that bit more interesting.

To be completely honest, it presents better value if you pick it up in a sale, as I did. With its regular tag I think it’s a couple of pounds overpriced.

IMAGES

A strange-looking door that features a few times throughout the scenery. An error, or something subliminally significant?

3 Likes

Images added.

Uk2000 is pretty much the only developer whose sceneries aren’t murderously huge which counts for alot to me.

Can’t think of many or any other ones sub 500mb and many of theirs are.

I’d trade some fidelity to not be choked with 1gb grass airstrips.

Yes, I noticed the ridiculously small file size when I downloaded it. Think it was something like 48mb! But this is actually deceptive as UK2000 utilise an object library for all their scenery, which is a couple of hundred mb in size.

I do think some of theirs are overpriced though, especially when you consider IniBuilds’ EGHI is £8.9 at full price — less than I paid for EGAC in the sale!

The door is just advertising so probably an accurate detail