[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

I could not see this issue so far. I even took screenshots in su11 beta, opted out of the beta back to su10 and rechecked the locations. Couldn’t find a difference.
Do you have some more example comparison screenshots for that?

After su10 I had terrible photogrammetry in image quality and mesh quality which I got completely rid of by removing the stored data for the game in the Xbox menu and reinstalling the world updates afterwards.

1 Like

I’ll try that soon, but given the fact that many others have reported this issue, I doubt its something I can fix on my end.

Perhaps you aren’t seeing the issue because you aren’t looking from far enough away? It seems that this is an LOD adjustment, so if I get close enough to the ground there’s no difference between SU10 and SU11 ground imagery. The problem is that at an unreasonably low altitude, the ground imagery plummets in quality. I’d urge you to go into the drone camera, face the ground, and slowly translate the drone camera upwards. There’s a very sudden and noticeable transition once you’re at a certain altitude, everything on the ground looks blocky.

Absolutely agree. The way it looks at the moment is NOT acceptable at all. I don’t believe that any significant compromise to visuals is necessary to solve performance issues or crashes on XBOX, because we have an important data point to the contrary from the past: At around the Sim Update 6/7 stage, performance and image quality on XBOX were both excellent. It wasn’t perfect of course, but it worked great overall.

If it worked then, there is no excuse for all of the “one step forward, two steps back” frustration we have experienced since at least SU 9. That evidence from the past proves that the sim can both perform well and look great on XBOX. Just make THAT happen again and we’re good. And if new features are the cause of problems then either delay those features until they can be implemented without compromises, or forget them completely. Asobo has worked miracles with FS 2020, but there are limits to how much additional detail and “stuff” can be loaded onto its back without causing problems. They need to find the sweet spot and just leave it there, at least until new hardware comes along that can support a heavier load.

Most of the “magic” of FS 2020 comes from its extraordinary visuals. They cannot compromise those without ruining what makes the sim attractive. If they keep dumbing down the visuals, then why not just switch to Xplane? (OK, I know that’s not an option on XBOX; just speaking more broadly.)

12 Likes

At that time, were there any issues whatsoever regarding the use of 3rd party addons, and in particular 3rd party airports? If that is a no, I completely agree. But what is the reason behind this visual downgrade we see with SU11 beta?

All I can say is, I haven’t had a single CTD using any of my 3rd party aircraft and airports. And that is a first, since I began playing this Sim. Performance is also excellent.

But that being said, tonight I flew over South Korea, high altitude 41000ft and I did notice the downgrade. It was pretty bad, it looked like the map was build up in squares, and only the ones right underneath me, were rendered correctly. The ones further ahead were a mess. I don’t know if this was because that region is not upgraded via a World Update yet, or it had something to do with the visual downgrade. Yesterday over Europe and Canada things looked a lot better.

1 Like

I can’t say for sure because there are so many add-ons. But I had quite a few and don’t remember any issues with them. I had many of the more complex airports without issue.

Most of the complaints I recall from other users around that time centered on features that weren’t implemented yet, or things like “popcorn clouds” when setting clear skies.

For me, SU 8 began the problems (caused half of data menu, including rolling cache settings, to disappear, made it impossible to control which parts of the sim got installed or uninstalled, and started causing serious performance problems), and really ramped up with SU 9 (horrendous performance problems and elimination of antialiasing). SU 10 dramatically improved performance, eliminating all of the SU 8/9 issues and probably making the performance the best it’s ever been, but unfortunately not restoring the missing antialiasing. Overall though, SU 10 was a big success on XBOX. Both performance and image quality (except for antialiasing) were excellent.

Now with the SU 11 beta, at least in the early stages, we seem to be going through another very mixed bag of results. Performance still seems to be very good, and crashes have been significantly reduced over SU 10 (though weirdly, the sound crackles and stutters at several points during the initial loading process, usually an indicator that the sim is close to crashing). However, image quality has taken a hit for unknown reasons, as discussed in this thread.

I’m not panicking yet, but I have to admit that SU 9 gave me a serious case of “sim PTSD” and I get nervous now anytime this sim takes an obvious step backward. If we ever get another SU 9 experience, I won’t have the patience left to stick with the sim at that point. I just don’t understand why even some basic sim functions can’t be locked in and not messed with. The development process should be like a funnel, fixing things along the way so that the remaining pool of problems narrows over time like a funnel. Instead, we seem to go back and forth constantly.

Example: Look at how the annoying white cursor dot cannot be cleared now in SU 11. Why on Earth would the behavior of that simple function change in a new update? We’ve always been able to push d-pad “up” to get rid of it, but now for no apparent reason it stays until it times out on its own, and if you pan the view it comes back. It’s so annoying that this bug alone ruins the experience. But why wasn’t that feature “locked in?” Constantly two steps forward, one step back ( and sometimes one step forward, two steps back like SU 9).

3 Likes

I’m not sure we can claim that 3rd party content worked back then. I’m not saying you made a blanket statement, and recognize they were working for you.

“We” had a very long discussion about Xbox that stemmed around 3rd party issues, which started in December of ‘21 here:

1 Like

Just one more thing though. I think people just want a working Simulator above anything else, without (the fear of) getting CTD’s all the time. SU10 was a big step forward, now with this SU11 beta it’s even better because with great performance introduced with SU10, now comes even greater performance and stability combined with, what it looks like, the ability to use certain heavier 3rd party addons which was impossible before.

In my opion, this is more important than the Sim being a graphical showcase. When i fly over areas that are World Updated, things really ain’t that bad. Only yesterday, flying over Asia i really noticed the downgrade. Whether or not this was because Asia isn’t updated yet, i dont know. I always found that for example China was pretty ugly.

2 Likes

I also noticed the downgrade of the ground textures and photogrammetry in the first (!) SU11 beta.

Yes, indeed, already at about 2500ft no longer looks really nice, the big cities with photogrammetry look really to cry at the moment.

But… Since I started with the beta last Friday, I could count the CTD on one hand. And that even with many AddOns and relatively complex airports, which even after SU10 still led to a CTD more often. In this respect, the stability has become much better.

If this is a first way to solve the - even under SU10 - still very frequent CTD, then can live with a certain reduction of the ground textures.

One should also note that it is a first beta version. Asobo will surely work on it and maybe already in the next beta increase the quality on the XBOX a bit again. As long as it doesn’t come to a massive collapse of the stability again…

1 Like

Question. I was beta testing on SU10 but haven’t had a chance to play MSFS since beta 11 has come out. As I heard those that were beta testing are automatically enrolled I want to know how to get out of it and stay on SU10 on Xbox? Of course something that doesn’t involve re-installing please!!! Once I turn MSFS ON will I be downloading 11? Thanks for help!

Before you open the game, open the Xbox Insider Hub app on your Xbox.

Go to Previews > MSFS Beta > Manage > Leave Preview.

1 Like

So this is flying over The Netherlands, at about 35000ft. I am very sorry, but there is nothing wrong with the LOD etc. Zoom in some more and look at the crispy details😳

I’ve had the same issues. Ground imagery seems like it’s lower resolution or something similar. Even draw distances of trees etc. I ended up dropping the beta and going back to SU10 which is working great.

4 Likes

Not if you’re sitting at a larger airport, handcrafted or 3rd party. You can wait for the CTD to come, sooner or later.

1 Like

The poor quality due to LOD is noticeable at lower altitudes; at 35,000 ft it would obviously be hardly noticeable. See the screenshots in my original post.

7 Likes

My experiences exactly in su10. I couldn’t use katl at all or any other handcrafted Asobo airports as well. And dlc aircraft for the most part couldn’t be used without a ctd.

Near Edinburgh, Scotland. At 6000ft, 3000ft and ground level. What am I missing? Point me in the right direction what I’m looking for. I really, honestly don’t see it.

There’s a new update to the beta

Oh boy, I hold my breath. Thx.

It’s taken a while to load even in a 1GB connection - not moving from the final splash screen yet - am I nervous?

1 Like

I’m cooking dinner right now, will take a look later😁