[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

I think it will. On PC, a user would just move a LOD slider and then change the texture resolution to high. 30 second fix.

This may take longer. They might have to isolate the issue and/or balance something. But in theory it is changing the TLOD from 50 to 100 and textures from Medium to High. And we have been obnoxious enough in here to get noticed and put this on the short list for fixes.

So I am optimistic.

3 Likes

Yes, especially here in my neighbourhood I was able to find my way throughout the world, because of all the scenery I recognized during flight.

Hello SuperAstro really appreciate you asking it’s a good question. I just want to clarify.

Nobody was pushed or urged or forced.
I said those with an issue. “Should” not must.

If this was an FAA issue, it’s not a compliance or mandated AD - t’s an advisory. :relaxed:

Some here used the language a “game breaking” issue and are not happy with waiting until next Sim update. To avoid community arguing. They have the freedom to take it outside of our closed environment and raise/complain in public. And display evidence accordingly. Where it is truly open with a wider gaming community.

The objective? Is to ensure customer’s and we are paying customers as well as hobbyists - have a public voice that can be shared and not be controlled or contained by popular opinion within a community board.

Not asking anyone to do it. But if it’s broken and not getting help then yes they should speak up.

Stuttering has nothing to do with the power of a console or PC and is mostly related to bad Network quality and the rolling cache. Stuttering is normal for FS and happens also on high end PC’s. This stuttering has nothing to do with this issue here. If you disable the rolling cache, the stuttering is way less and also the most CTD gets solved. Unitl UP 7 or 8 I had absoltly no problems with CTR, but then they began to happen after 30 minutes of a filigth. I was just simple to fix this by disabling the Rollgin cache completly. Since I have disabled the rolling cache on my SX, near all of the CTD and stuttering are gone. There is for 100% sure an issues with the rolling cache!

IMO, the rolling cache feature is the problem in this game and not the memory.

1 Like

SU10 was the golden update for Series consoles as it brought stutters down to ZERO with or without rolling cache. First time in months I was playing it with no stutters at all
 No matter which location or what conditions.

@MonkeyCH

5 Likes

Yes this may be, but there is still somthing wrong with the rolling cache, as also UP 9 and 8 worked well here without the rolling cache enabled. UP10 had already a small grphical downgrade, I believe they have added FSR in UP 10. FSR gives a worse image than native resolution. But it was still playable an it was OK for me, but this here is a complete different thing. To get gameboy graphics (320x200 or less) resoliuton if we are above 5000 feets, cant be right, and musst be a bug.

After skimming the previous ~100 posts after reading what seems to be the official acknowledgment from MS/Asobo this is an issue and it’s being worked on, here’s my take away:

From a development/tech standpoint this is a “slight” issue. IMHO that was a critical clarification by the moderator. Up until that point, I wanted to chuck my phone across the room based on how dismissive the “slight issue” comment felt.

From a customer satisfaction/expectation standpoint, this is anything but slight. And, unhappy/disillusioned customers means no more spending of customer money on said products/services which does not make the mothership happy (after all, at the end of the day it is ALL about money) which leads to the product going bye bye.

None of us want that. I’m hopeful there is middle ground and the resolution will come fairly soon.

In the meantime I found a workable solution last night! Nighttime, bad weather/low minimums, IFR flights only! Lol.

13 Likes

It’s not “slightly” degraded and it does have a functional impact which you can easily discover by trying to find a grass airstrip located on grassland VFR from a couple of thousand feet up. It simply won’t be visible, at least not until you’re on top of it, when it might suddenly appear, only to vanish into the blurry mush again as you circle round for another go.

My fear now is that they’ve backed themselves into a corner and it isn’t fixable. What if it can’t be made to handle all the new assets and the mechanics of choppers, thermals etc AND decent scenery resolution? They can’t, without massive embarrassment, pull the gliders and choppers out, and i don’t believe there’s any real chance that’s gonna happen, so what then?

6 Likes

Brazil - can’t see Christ the Redeemer,. Nor the airport
 Used to just last week.

What’s that 20 miles away. Can see either.

A draw distance of 15 miles if flying GA is a game breaker in a flying game where visuals matter.

I’m there now if anyone wants to join lol

16 Likes

I can confirm this. I cannot detect grass landing strips anymore, even from 1000 feet. As much as I love this game I think I will uninstall it and wait for a fix because flying with vintage, small GA planes is not worth it in this state.

4 Likes

Aside from the bad draw distance and blurry textures, forgot to mention: I’m also noticing a fair amount of aliasing
 The red half rectangles used for landings, for example, have very visible jaggies both from afar and up close, as if the game is running at 1080p resolution.

2 Likes

I’m no expert by any means but would tend to agree here. I really hope it is anyway as you’d hope it would be easier to fix. If it isn’t, I dread that it isn’t an easy fix and as a result we’re gonna have to wait for a long while before it is rendered playable again.

Exactly it’s pointless playing unless you want to use the airliner. That is of course providing you don’t get multiple CTD’s with it as I did. It’s broken and it seems those that deny it are just kicking the can down the road or accepting second best. In its current state a re-name is needed to Microsoft Soup Simulator.

Hopefully they will get it fixed so we can enjoy it again.

1 Like

Having contributed to this thread a few times and agreeing to the general feeling that graphics have been turned down to a limit that makes the SIM not as enjoyable and not what it was meant to be I would still want to at least commend Microsoft/Asobo for having brought something like the A310 to the console. How they put such an incredibly complex plane on the platform and working smoothly on an S Series is something. Of course I want my good graphics back and as I feel the 2 don’t go together the way to go is having the A310 with lower LOD or a GA to mid complicated aircraft ( Carenado, Hondajet ) with the quality graphics we were used to in SU 10, never mind the very rare crash. Also if thermals, helicopters, gliders and all the rest they are adding is part of the problem just stop bloating the console and leave it to run what it can run well. I think in the future they can always improve things and maybe one day we can have the best of both worlds on console too.

1 Like

To be honest i dont believe in theory that gliders or helicopters are much more demanding for our console than F-18 or older airplanes from SU10. If there is split screen option then i could agree with you.

1 Like

I bought a series X just because flight sim, in the beginning the visual immersion were amazing, but every update makes me feel more and more disappointed. We lost the anti aliasing, and in every update the distance seems less realistic. In the beginning I wasn’t able to see any issue in distance, everything looks so real. I really enjoy flying VFR but the experience is becoming more and more disgusting.

Now we have helicopters but the visual are not bringing the experience we expected to have before the constant downgrades.

Please Asobo, take attention to the possibilities of correcting all this visual issues, bring back anti aliasing if possible.

My FS2020 is almost looking like my old FS2004 and I’m afraid of more downgrades in the future.

12 Likes

Exactly the same in the beta. LOD usually refers to 3D meshes, so that’s why we’re seeing melted buildings when we get far enough away. The same concept can be applied to 2D textures such as the ground imagery; in this case it’s called mipmapping.

The two are used hand in hand. In my demonstration video (linked in the original post) you can see as we translate the drone further from the ground, the ground imagery switches to a lower quality mip, and buildings decrease in polygon count right along with it.

So yes, those two are directly related, as they’re basically employing the same concept: reduce quality as we get further from a mesh/texture. And yes, it has been that way since the beta; in fact, the demonstration video was shot during the beta.

3 Likes

I am such a dissapointed :frowning: l love that game, specially for amazing graphic level.
I’m waiting for Thrustmaster Aribus TCA, but for now, I don’t even want to play this :frowning:

9 Likes

So almost no chance for this being a server related problem?

1 Like

not possible to be a server problem i was in the beta 11 since the beginning it was like this

6 Likes