[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

Presumably this was met with huge disappointment and fed back?
I am still struggling to wrap my head around how this was even allowed to be released without any form of quality control. It’s completely amateurish and even when/if it can be fixed, there will be lots of anxious simmers holding their breath when it comes to future updates. I real feel now is the time to separate Xbox versions from PC.

4 Likes

I’m definitely not qualified to speculate on that, but I doubt it. I wouldn’t rule it out though.

Anyone looking into VRR/Freesync also not unlocking FPS on console? Also an issue.

Don’t worry they’ll fix it. The Developers will be really upset at this,nobody sets out to disappoint.

They’ll fix it soon for sure.

If it was not marked as a bug, then I would worry.

Look at all the great content in the 40th anniversary. I’m sure this will be sorted :+1:

I think that’s why there’s so much confusion about the whole thing probably causing wildly inaccurate speculation.
If the sim was working so well prior (certainly on S), I can think of absolutely no reason why they’d feel the need to upset the apple cart so monumentally. I don’t subscribe to the idea of limitations on the console either. I had a solid 30fps absolutely everywhere even in massively built up area plus it looked fantastic. Sometimes couldn’t believe what I was seeing!
On a side note, I reckon this must be the quickest thread up to 1000 replies in the history of the simulator.

5 Likes

You are right. This was flagged during the beta and yet the beta was curtailed without any communication or fix, so that the devs could focus on the content. I said at the time that this was a mistake wand I stand by that. The consequences of that decision is that for the Xbox community at least, the anniversary edition will always be remembered for all the wrong reasons. A wholly avoidable situation in my opinion.

1. beta feedback from users wasn’t dealt with as it ought to have been. This calls into question the usefulness of a beta. There has to be an improvement in comms on flagged beta issues.

2. where is the evidence of adequate Xbox QA? It seems to have been sadly lacking, again. I understand schedule pressure but regardless of that I personally believe that the release should either have been delayed or at the very least should have gone ahead with a caveat for Xbox users describing the issue and promising a hot fix.

I think that if there are improvements in these two areas it would benefit all of us (devs and simmers alike)
We can all work together to make MSFS a success, we all want that I think - but if a beta is run and users put a lot of work into evaluating ii, where major issues are flagged, the community must be listened to.

4 Likes

The ground quality remember me those good old times using tileproxy with fs2004

3 Likes

99 percent of gamers on XBOX buy this for the graphics and scenery. ‘The Sim’ people are more on the PC side.

So ya, for many of us XBOX users this update killing graphics and scenery was a game breaking feature.

6 Likes

Rolling cache is turned off.

How can u be so sure about that? Have any numbers to back that up?

Rolling cache is turned off, so it’s not that.

reading the posts here and other MSFS sites gives me a good sense of what Xbox gamers prioritize vs PC gamers.

For example, on Twtich, almost everyone on PC sim’s. Flight plans are set, instruments are pushed at the right time, and it’s almost all the time IFR. And almost everyone on XB flys around showing off the scenery and asking viewers what sites/landmarks they’d like to fly to next.

1 Like

It’s beautiful!
This sim is bigger and more capable on xbox then generally given credit for. And makes me more relaxed about having invested so much time and money in this flight sim adventure, i would otherwise never have ventured into if not for consoles opening the gate. I own nearly every plane and add-on worth buying i can think of, and they nearly all run flawlessly. Sim update 10 was the highlight of my experience, which makes this LOD thing even more depressing… The only issue I ever encountered was certain airports just being too heavy a system load. Third party planes and live weather didn’t help either with avoiding CTD and certain airports. But I really don’t understand why they haven’t just made a memory/LOD limit specifically for airports on console. Such a feature would benefit so many PC users as well!
Scale down the crispness while we taxi, take off and land. But let us keep the ground visuals while in air…

4 Likes

Just wanted to agree with some of the earlier comments. This is not game breaking and does not require a hotfix from the perspective of the game developer in terms of software development conventions.

However, for those of us who play this game for the visuals we experience the downgrade as game breaking and are anxious because of two main concerns:

1. That not calling it game breaking will delay any fix/de-prioritize any fix.
  2. That not calling it game breaking may be a way to softly say it’ll never be fixed/can’t be fixed. The comment about the Xbox having limitations while true only exacerbates this anxiety.

As with all anxiety this is based on fear and incomplete information. We obviously don’t know what will happen (or even what is happening now). I for one am happy to let the development team have their time to work on this, as long as it has been communicated to them how important this is to some of us who really, really love this sim. To the point where we would describe it as game breaking, even if it technically isn’t.

3 Likes

I’m part of a group of Flight Sim enthousiast on Xbox, and all of us prefer to Sim as real as possible. Spending good money on hardware too. So I really think it depends on where you read and watch content.

To me, the sim looks so terrible now (even the clouds look awful) compared to what I had in SU10 that this IS indeed game breaking for me and Im sure many others who have a Series X. I quit halfway through a flight it looks so bad. Just not worth a second of my time if this isnt fixed or out back to where it was.

6 Likes

I do both to be honest depending on my mood. Some folks on here love their airliners which is fair enough because their money is as good as mine. We don’t know that we can’t do both and maybe can to a point of course as there has to be a limit. If it’s a bug which has been officially confirmed, we don’t have to distinguish between IFR or VFR, GA or airliners and make sacrifices. I have no reason to believe that said task is not achievable.

I am definitely not of the opinion that Xbox holds back the sim as users can only purchase add ons via the marketplace which generates revenue for the game and the third party devs too. Both platforms can complement each other and without Xbox, PC simmers will see a slow down in development and no doubt increase in price as a consumer. We have no reason to believe that the Xbox cannot do it, in fact we are told the contrary by developers and of course they want to tap into that market to generate revenue.

My only concern is an acceptance of a sub par experience. If they produce a platform in which my experience is good, and they have done this prior to SU11 then I will invest money in the products. It’s a win for both sides if this is achieved.

4 Likes

I feel your pain and completely agree. It’s unplayable as it is hence I have deleted until fixed.

2 Likes

Dave please reconsider. Come back and enjoy it differently until they fix it. I’m with you on this being a priority to fix.

At the moment I’m doing sightseeing in the Helicopter. Not something I would normally do.

My home town of Caserta (lived there as a child).the Royal Palace just as I remembered it.

That’s on a 250£ machine. Who would have believed that just a few years ago.

1 Like

I’m Simmers inside the XBOX, that’s why I’m happy when news arrives like the A310 and maybe with WASM, the XBOX allows more aircraft. So I’m part of that 1% of yours.

2 Likes