[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

Folks,

I see many posters here are hung up on @Pieter2427’s use of the word “slightly” in his earlier post above. Please keep in mind that all our moderators are volunteers from the community. They are not employees of Microsoft or Asobo, and they have access only to the same publicly-available information that you do. The moderators’ role is to keep the forums running smoothly, ensure discussions stay on-topic, and make sure everyone adheres to the Code of Conduct. They are not official spokespeople for MSFS.

That said, when Pieter described this issue as “not game-breaking”, he is absolutely correct in the literal sense. We acknowledge this issue has reduced your enjoyment of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but you are still able to launch the sim and fly normally just as you could before SU11. The terms “game-breaking” and “unplayable” are reserved only for bugs/issues that literally prevent players from launching the sim and starting a flight. A reduction in graphical quality does not meet that definition.

Also, in case anyone missed the earlier announcement above, our Developer panel of Jorg, Seb, and Martial will have more to say about this issue during the livestream tomorrow starting at 1830Z at https://twitch.tv/MSFSOfficial. Be sure to check it out for the latest information about this and many other topics.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

11 Likes

Folks, let’s not get into discussion on who all plays on Xbox and PC and wether or not users are happy on platforms.

Please stay on topic. Thank you.

5 Likes

I am both simmer and sightseer depending on my mood and I also love the complexity/ flightmodel of the A310,but even when I am in ‘simming’ mode I still continually look at the scenery and always consider the visuals to be an extremely important part of the overall experience.

4 Likes

Excited to see this issue being addressed and thanks to the devs for discussing the topic more at tomorrow’s Q&A!

2 Likes

You can call it want you want, game breaking or not. For me, untill this is fixed, this stops me playing the game. VFR flights are broken and I will wait if/when this horrendous downgrade gets resolved.

6 Likes

I politely disagree as I did with Pieter on a previous post. He politely explained that “game-breaking” describes a technicality from a developers perspective. My issue is that from a consumers perspective and a simmer “game-breaking” occurs when I cannot fly as a VFR pilot due to the poor terrain quality and pop ins and not being able to identify my position in a timely manner to compare to my nav maps. With LOD reduced to this level it’s just not possible to achieve especially on small hard to find grass airfields.This has only happened since SU11. The previous SU10 I did not have any issues with. Just because the code runs does not mean that the game is not broken for the consumer. It is currently not enjoyable and not possible to fly the way I did previously. You may technically tick your box as a developer by running code but you aren’t ticking my box as a consumer.

14 Likes

Good job folks here don’t sell car’s!
So long as the car starts - it’s not broken.

To the rest of the world it’s broken. But yeah it still starts. My yardstick to measure severity and impact is would someone buy this Sim on console in its present state knowing it was fine a week ago.

For me it’s a No.

A piece of software shouldn’t be judged as not broken simply because you can open it and run it.
A major degradation of draw distance to around 15 miles is terrible. It’s a major selling point taken away.

So taking away the technical terms. And arguing over definitions. As it stands to a “reasonable person” you would consider the Sim in present state as degraded to a level on console where one would call it broken. And in need of a hot fix. Why is it debated. Lol.

This is not a bargain basement £5 game.

And I’d appreciate if the official line was more supportive of the community who actually pay the wages, rather than towards those moderating a forum. But that’s how forums work. Hence my earlier call to action.

Just a free opinion, maybe too harsh but one which anyone can gladly disagree with. And I politely respect.

ON-TOPIC

I guess we just have to wait for the stream tomorrow. I am confident it’ll get fixed.

They would not otherwise mention it.

I hope the community will come across as largely grateful tomorrow though. The A310 is a thing of beauty. A study level detail airplane on a console.

10 Likes

That’s just gatekeeping and stereotypes. There are plenty of us simming on Xbox.

7 Likes

Flying low to minimise this effect is sometimes ineffective. I’m noticing that eventually the sim stops loading new terrain ahead of me and I am left with mobile phone graphics even in my immediate vicinity.

My internet is stable and this happens while connected to the servers.

12 Likes

This on Series S or X?

Apologies. This is Series S :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The team has identified what has been causing this and will share their findings in the Developer Stream tomorrow during our segment on 40th sentiment!

48 Likes

nice to hear!

2 Likes

That’s good news! Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

You have to activate rolling cache … at least 8 gig

That’s probably the most interesting and informative development so far. The fact that they had to identify the cause implies that it wasn’t an intentional cutback.

This news gives me hope that the issue will get fixed without stability or performance taking a hit; many of us were worried about that.

Regardless, it’s good to know that the team has a grip on this and that we’ll learn more tomorrow.

18 Likes

Good news I hope it’s easily resolved. Appreciate the feedback.

2 Likes

Can you ask if this has affected the PC also? Im positive there has been a reduction in the LOD quality of ground textures.

This is wonderful news, thank you for sharing it!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for pointing this out😊. I hope it will satisfy all of us.

5 Likes