Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

If the sim is so horrible and unusable on the Xbox Series X, explain how I flew for a total of 3+ hours without issue (other then the known annoying bugs) yesterday and 5+ hours the day before on my Xbox Series X in the same fashion.

I pretty much do this nearly everyday.

In fact, I’d say that since SU7-update, this thing has been even more stable with less of the annoying FPS stutters that I’d experience at the end of long flights.

I’ve got the same piece of hardware running the same OS and the same version of the sim.

There is, obviously, more to it than these oversimplified exclamations of heresy.

None of this helps our cause.

6 Likes

OP - Something helpful with troubleshooting would be to be more specific about your problems and when you see them in the sim. There are many reasons why it can happen. I have used my XBox X with the sim since it was released in July (I use a Hotas one with wireless mouse as well) and recently the issues have been almost non-existent after some troubleshooting and some recent updates. Add-ons can be a big reason for CTD’s on the XBox … not sure if you have any or not but that would be a start.

Maybe he has the box in some kind of small shelf without legit airflow and the hardware is getting hot.

4 Likes

or add-ons…

4 Likes

in my case i have no add ons, the xbox wont get hot, beside xbox controller i use wireless mouse/keyboard and hotas one

Haha it very much can handle it I’d rather have it on pc yes but some of us don’t have 800 to 1000 bucks laying around if you ask me gameplay stability is far less important at the moment when the devs currently don’t care about the community right now towards xbox No planes lack of communication to us players not to mention 1 weekly update I could go on they have measures to increase stability via disabling some assets but oh well

Found this tweet on it. ALthough they spoke about this in the Q&A that came out at about the same time. They go into more detail about how it works there if you want to look into it for yourself.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 12.37.06 PM

2 Likes

Unfortunately 3rd party marketplace mods are not immune to breaking under a sim update. Asobo have no direct influence in their coding (cannot for legal reasons) and it is up to the addon’s devs to provide solutions, there is also testing and encryption so even for the simplest of fixes it is never instant. Currently there is not the choice to disable suspect addons without uninstalling them but I have recently requested it from Zendesk and I expect them to look in to it.

I don’t think that is true, it’s just something that likes to get thrown around these forums. Yesterday a msfs community manager came into one of the threads (and closed it) and explained some things about the XBox and things moving forward.

As a perfect example of this - something from the marketplace was causing a CTD in the content manager after the last update.

1 Like

It’s been surprisingly smooth on my Series X. That being said, I have removed addons I know are causing CTDs. I have my rolling cache set to 20GB, but am thinking about dialing it back.

I consistently fly a couple hours a day with no issues. Maybe a few small stutters here and there, but nothing I would consider deal-breaking.

3 Likes

That might just be marketing speak. They don’t specifically say what it does though. If you have a game that can produce 60 fps (some shooters for example) or even 120fps then the VRR will adapt to the scenes that require the refresh rate to go higher for smooth (flicker free) TV performance. The XBox if VRR is enabled for FS will likely hover between 33 and 25 tbh that is variable. Likely lower in high density scenery. I remember the London discovery flight for example feeling to me as if it were 10fps at times. All I’m saying is that 60(ish)fps (where top end PC’s currently max out at) and 120 FPS where they most defnitely don’t even go are head and shoulder performance wise above the XBox X. What the XBox is lacking is an in game FPS counter, having your TV count FPS is bogus as it’s just showing you refresh rate of the TV. So your TV is in all likelihood currently doing 4 refreshes for every frame that FS is generating.

Sorry to say this but I totally disagree, I think the series x is more than capable of running the sim, crashes are just not happening on the xbox they are also effecting pc users, and up until recently I have experienced very few problems, but since Christmas it’s Been problem after problem, I still believe this is a big problem with the sim itself not the machines running it Been a high end pc or series x

2 Likes

I know how it’s supposed to work. I’m just telling you what MS’ claims are.

The devs spoke about it in the Dev Q&A (likely the June one). If you want the specific details, go check it out. They were quite clear that it was a locked 30 unless a TV had VRR, and then it would allow it to run at higher frame rates. How they go about doing this, I neither know nor care, as I don’t have an Xbox and never will. But they’re quite clear that this is the case, whether or not it makes sense to us.

This is I can 100% agree with. Doesn’t matter how many times your screen images refreshes of the content is at a lower rate.

I have been using Series X with this game since September and very rarely have a CTD (those were add-on issues)and since the latest up date I don’t have any stutters.
I your game is stuttering, that is a internet/network issue
The game runs smooth for me and has been great.

It is very much true man I played on day 1 since release on xbox game stability was a huge problem but overtime i got used to it what I didn’t get used to is them not releasing planes and lack of concern about community feedback ive been banned on Twitter and so have others just for providing a opinion ive said it multiple times before any other gaming company stocks would fall if they were in asobos position look at call of duty and red dead their community’s both have outrage for lack of content now I know Asobo are no where near that huge but come on all they do is sit back and act like everything is OK but it’s not planes like the f16 and f35 DC6 should be on console as we speak but all we get are scenery and airports idk about yall but I got 200 hours already and haven’t purchased but 1 airport and over 500 dollars in planes that’s the real problem here

Same here - since launch I have had two CTD in total on Series X, and have many add ons running including several the ones you mention (the latest being the excellent and highly detailed Edinburgh Airport that runs completely smoothly with seemingly no hit to frame rate).

This is not to minimise the fact that many people are obviously having a rough time with crashes, but it’s strange that it affects some more than others.
One thing that springs to mind is that I fly exclusively GA aircraft and have yet to so much as park my bum in an airliner - I presume light aircraft are also lighter on the simulator in general?

The main issue I’ve faced is peripheral things like the sensitivity settings not saving or mouse not being recognised (this second one resolved by making sure things are connected in this order - usb hub, then mouse, keyboard and lastly hotas).

I do hope issues can be resolved, but I also worry that that 3rd party developers may be discouraged from releasing new products due to a general idea that ’ Xbox cannot run Flight Sim’, as it clearly can.

I sympathize, but give it time. It was over 6 months after launch that stuff (particularly planes) started showing up for the PC in the marketplace. We did have free mods and 3rd party stores, so that was less of an issue for us. But I understand how frustrating it is when you want content that’s available for PC but isn’t for Xbox.

That said, due to the inherent complexity in making 3rd party stuff work with Xbox, it’s not likely the catalog of available PC add-ons will all be ported over to Xbox. Many devs won’t want to strip down their content to make it work on the limited Xbox resources.

And there are a lot of 3rd party devs that just want nothing to do with the marketplace at all due to the onerous submission process and the unrealistically long flash to bang time of when they submit content (including sometimes critical updates) and when the content goes live. For this latter group, their content will never be available on Xbox.

So the frustration from Xbox users is certainly understandable.

5 Likes

Totally agree

1 Like

What am I looking for?