Xbox simmer here, about ready to give up (Or: Should I Just Break Down and Buy a PC?)

I’m not sure that it’s accurate to say that there is ‘no doubt’ that the Xbox is ‘not powerful enough to run the sim properly’ when there are many people on the forums - indeed, on this thread - who report that the sim runs very well indeed on their Xboxes.

Yes, the experience seems to vary from user to user - as, indeed, it appear to on PC (judging from even a cursory look at the bugs forum).

Over the weekend I enjoyed hours of visually stunning, trouble free simming - certainly the Xbox seems powerful enough to run the sim properly from where I’m sitting!

7 Likes

Clearly Asobo don’t think Xbox is powerful enough to run it properly. Otherwise they’d not have removed features from the Xbox version. Or do you think they deliberately block some features for another reason?

You appear to be arguing two different things. ‘Absolute feature parity with the PC’ is not the same as ‘running MSFS properly’. The former is clearly not possible (nor arguably is it a reasonable expectation for a sub £500 box), the latter - meaning that you can simulate flight with a smooth and consistent performance and some of the best graphics ever seen on home console - absolutely is possible and would surely be a reasonable definition of ‘running properly’ to lots of people?

4 Likes

odd … I have msi gaming laptop for pc version and series x for console version. Im getting great performance from both. Only had one ctd on xbox and I think that was caused by a scenery I bought. What I did was sign out of console shut down restart and the problem disappeared. I also turned off quick start feature on the X and deleted cache and rebuilt it…but maybe Im just lucky. Its funny how people on really great systems get problems while my laptop config rtx2060 16gb ram just keeps getting better and better performance.

Absolutely, I have car traffic on roads and live traffic in the air and in the airports, departing and leaving. I watched EGLL for half an hour and there was plenty going on.

As for AI offline traffic, I’ve never even tried it - so can’t comment!

As for your wiggly line image, I was getting much more dramatic figure of eights being drawn on the map when adding waypoints, I think that little zig zag is due to invisible waypoints the planner puts in on climb and descent. Try and make another one but make it longer, add some waypoints to it and see what happens.

1 Like

I don’t think i have ever seen another plane move, on the ground or in the air!

This is a horrible time to buy a PC price wise, but it’s true us PC folks have all the fun especially with these addons you xbox users don’t have access to.

Yes agreed, he did mention there was some resource clash with something else he was running.

That’s where Xbox comes into its own for casual simming. You literally just turn on an go.

No system updates or driver, or graphics card concerns. It just works (more or less).

To be fair the X (and even S) aren’t your average consoles they have considerable more bang - than even the PS4 pro, or earlier Xboxes.

Newer consoles will only grow with MSFS. The reach of customer base within Xbox generally and within Games Pass is too lucrative for MS to ignore.

I ended up buying Deluxe and loads of market place content. I may one day get a PC again but for now enjoying couch flying. Lol.

2 Likes

First video game console was released about 50 years ago, first flight sim about 40 years ago. Until just recently, the idea of having a flight sim on a console was ridiculous and laughed at with comments such as “No, that’s not possible!”

It’s less than a year ago the impossible became possible, in a remarkable technical achievement. I don’t think people consider this and how MSFS is paving the way for things never done on a console. Lack of planes on the Xbox? Yes, but they are doing changes in the very core platform of Xbox in order to have advanced planes on the platform. Flight simning used to be a niche hobby, but it’s growing and that these things happen is a clear sign of that.

So while I understand that for an individual user, some things are annoying and frustrating, in the big picture we’ve taken strides that no one thought possible. I’ve no doubt things will improve down the line and we are certainly part of the most ground breaking era of flight simning since the first sim was released many decades ago!

4 Likes

How did you turned it off ?

Thank you

What i use on Xbox

2500 USD complete installation with 98 Lincoln Navigator Seat !!! :upside_down_face:

I spend 2 hours a day flightsiming and having fun .

Real traffic and Real weather set on,
Landings on wonderfull addons Egpf and Egph with rain and clouds .

So what do i need more ? Maybe 737 pmdg and crj and for sure Track IR

4 Likes

I just switched from Xbox to PC. And honestly, I could not be any happier. I don’t know why or how, but ever since the MSFS Xbox launch last summer, the sim has seemed to have vastly deteriorated in performance and visuals. After every sim update, something with the Xbox version would break. At the beginning, it was great and really smooth. Now it’s just a stuttering mess with CTDs in places I never had before SU7. Yes, a PC can also get a CTD. But the biggest difference between Xbox and a PC, is that there is a way to end any performance issues on a PC. This isn’t true on Xbox.

This prompted me to finally make the move to buy a gaming rig. Honestly, best decision EVER. Not only is there room to make graphical/performance adjustments to suit your needs, but the incredible community that makes freeware mods. Yes! Fly By Wire! What a team! At the end of the day, we don’t even 100% know if PMDG will ever come back on Xbox. The decision doesn’t lie in the hands of Asobo anymore. MS is the one who decides whether it’s worth opening up the consoles to external coding…just for one game. Think about it.

Listen buddy. If you have the money, go for it. Because you definitely will not regret it.

1 Like

it was in groups quickstart on my main xbox menu, I removed it because I dont want the sim saving a quick resume state if im having problems

How To Disable & Turn Off Quick Resume On Xbox Series X & S

Quick Resume is a feature enabled in the base system-level programming architecture by Microsoft. For this, there is currently no way to shut down the entire feature manually. This technology is enabled by default with help of new Velocity Architecture, which is the base of current-gen console storage technology. But there are several workarounds you can do to overcome this issue. So here’s how to turn off & disable Quick Resume on Xbox Series X & S:

Save the game you are playing
Click on the “Xbox button” on the controller
Select “Home”
Now with the game title selected, click on the “Menu button” (controller)
Now from the menu that poped up, click on “Quit”
You can also go to “My games & apps” in Xbox guide
Then click on “Quick Resume”
Highlight the game you want to disable
Now click on the “Menu button” on the controller
Then click on “Remove from Quick Resume”
This will disable the feature for the game

1 Like

That is very odd, I’d turn off all online settings and re-enable them!

This is a photo I took a while back before the fix that let planes depart, you can count the name plates. Very busy!

Thank you very much

So far I’ve been quite happy with simming in the Series S. And for me getting a worthy PC is double the cost because of shipping and customs, so I’m not heading that way in the forseeable future. I also learned that I like simming on the TV from the couch or bed.

My suggestion: if you do get a PC, install the sim on an SSD. It makes a massive difference with loading times.

Thanks i’ll try this out.

To me, it’s pretty clear.

If you’re ok with the limitations of the Xbox version of MSFS (no community mods, no external hardware / software via SimConnect, limited selection of peripherals, limited marketplace selection) and don’t want to fork out the cash for a PC (certainly not cheap!), then Xbox is the way to go. As long as you’re aware of these platform limitations and accept them, then stick with Xbox.

If you can afford a PC and want to take your simming experience to the next level, then get a PC and use whatever peripherals you want. While I won’t bash the Xbox version, as it is what it is, there’s not a chance it will come anywhere near to being able to touch the PC version’s overall experience.

When it comes to stability though, both platforms suffer the same issues. There’s a huge overlap in the pool of bugs that affect each system. PC have a few specific ones, as does the Xbox version. But overall, most of the bugs are shared between both platforms. So you’re definitely not getting away from bugs and issues by switching from one platform to another.

8 Likes

I’m a new simmer (got my Xbox only in Nov 2021).

I’ve been plotting my journey in the sim nice and slowly, learning in bits and pieces, and enjoying it thoroughly.

I’ve been a jetliner enthusiast all my life, but I wanted to have a wholistic learning experience, and so started off in the propellers, and only recently moved one step up to turboprops.

I know there’s so much to learn and discover, so I saw no rush to jump ahead into the jetliners too soon (although I know I’ll enjoy that part when I come to it eventually). I’m just enjoying the journey so far.

I expect myself to grow with the sim and Xbox. This is a long term hobby, not something I’m rushing myself to achieve or accomplish. It’s not race.

And as they say, things are improving and developing in Xbox and its marketplace, so I look forward to things progressing in tandem as I slowly deepen my flying knowledge and skills in this sim. I’m in no hurry. And I’ve had few problems with the sim (except the occasional bug here and there and mouse freeze). But hey, no tech is perfect right?

I’m not a techie person, so dealing with PC specs and trouble shooting PCs are not my forte. (I read a horror post in a forum not long ago by a PC user who built a top of the range rig but simply could not get MSFS to run on it — yes, it can happen mysteriously, and even after much to-ing and fro-ing with the Microsoft tech team, he couldn’t resolve it!). My lack of tech knowledge is one of the main reasons I decided on Xbox. Also, I know it can cost pretty much more to build a PC rig, but it’s up to the individual whether the immersive pleasure differential (assuming it is real) is worth the added cost. Ultimately, it’s about what your expectations are. And if you’re in a hurry and fear losing out in immersion enjoyment because you feel that’s what others are enjoying, then it’s better that you do get a PC, especially if you have no qualms splashing more capital on more gadgets.

3 Likes

ie You get what you pay for.

You can get an inexpensive, subsidized X-box, but you will end up paying for that, and more, by being forced to only be able to Purchase a limited selection of apps from the MS-STore.

1 Like