Xbox simmer here, about ready to give up (Or: Should I Just Break Down and Buy a PC?)

As a Xbox S user I agree. I have very few issues. I’m beginning to think (I have no way of knowing of course) it may be a connection speed issue.

1 Like

I do fully expect WASM to be solved soon and the freeware category to be put into place, also peripherals will obviously grow in time now the ball is rolling with Honeycomb and turtle beach dipping into the platform; so a number of these points will probably eleviate with time.

Also, external SSD is available for the console, plus the ability to part exchange your console with any new models that get released in the interim between generations; so even more mo ey off your upgrade.

I think alot of console opinions don’t take into account the fact it’s still new on the platform.

2 Likes

Find a way to try out VR, even if it’s just the built in flying games on a quest 2, to see if you feel sick or whether you are impressed with the immersion/feeling of flying. Then you will know if you should get a medium pc for 2d or a high end one for vr.

after 2 ctd an hour I spent about 40 hours in beta SU8 to decide whether to stay or go, I was done with it But…40 hours zero ctd! I have to admit I did not expect that. A lot gets fixed with SU8 including the "my way achievement which unlocked the moment I started the sim in beta.

Few more weeks and it will be much better :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is so excruciatingly puzzling is why you have 2 CTDs per hour and I’ve had, maybe 2 or 3 the entire time I have flown the sim on my Series X since November when I moved from an S to an X.

We have the same hardware.

What, exactly, is different enough to cause you to have a hellacious time with the sim and me to have the opposite?

You’re not alone, either. I chat with all sorts of users on this forum who are having problems on their X that I am not having.

We run through the list of all the things I’ve/they’ve tried and nothing makes a difference.

How is this possible? What is it?!

1 Like

No idea, I would like to think that with fixed hardware platforms like the x-box, CTD’s should be a thing restricted to those that load 3rd-party software extensions, those on the base platform should never really see a CTD as thorough testing can be done.

Also, there is never a crash log file or reason - when a MAC eventually crashes, we get a massive dump file to look at.

My X-Box setup is base platform - no 3rd party stuff at all and in 6 weeks i have had two CTD’s

Addons, specifically planes, mostly and settings. Like the cy57 will cause a ctd in certain situations. The Dubai city pack for instance is ok but you can’t fly all planes over it anymore without ctd. So it depends on how many addons you have and unlucky combinations that cause issues. In SU8 I had none so I’m hopeful.

1 Like

Have no idea if this is correct, but I suspect server-side issues. Just a thought…

I’ve had people turn off all Online functionality and they still have issues that I do not — mainly heavy stuttering poor FPS that lead to CTDs.

1 Like

NAT conflicts? How the sim connects to the cloud/network would be the only thing that would differ in hardware. Everyone has different ISPs and router configurations. :person_shrugging:

Aside from that, connected peripherals including wireless headsets differ. It’s a weird one as there was someone saying how they have endless CTDs and they’ve never seen another aircraft in the air or the ground on Series X (traffic). Their Velocity One yoke crashes the sim aslo - I use the V1 and it’s fine, also not many crashes since release considering the playtime (I’d say under 10).

How, then, do we explain the issues where I’ve had people turn off all Online functionality and they are still suffering issues?

You still have to connect to XBOX Live though?

Simple things like closed ports can have quite a surprising effect on how games will function. Even timezones and locations can cause problems when it comes to connected games. I’m not saying it’s the reason but I’m just addressing the idea that everyone has the same hardware - in truth we do all have different hardware even on consoles, just the stuff inside the box is the same.

Same hardware but I bet just about everyone of you has a different spec of TV hardware with different combos of xbox output options, 60/120Hz, VRR, GSync TV ports, HDR10, dolby vision, video modes, ycc 4:2:2, hdmi 2.1 ports (40Gbps), cables, ALLM etc etc.
Also unknown/unpublished graphical tradeoffs for choosing 120Hz over 60Hz refresh rates? It’s apparently common to have trade offs with resolution&FPS v higher refresh rates with some other games.
Also, maybe the X really runs better with the latest tech TV that supports the new higher standards.

Maybe, but I’ve been also connecting my Series X to an old Samsung 27” 1080P TV at my desk that I use with my PC.

I don’t see issues with it.

What’s unknown to me is does the sim still render everything at 4K, but just outputs at 1080P on this TV?

Do you set output res in XBox settings at 1080? or does it detect 1080 display and downsize automatically?
On PC you would have to go to options and set FS to output at 1080. With no graphical options/setings available on XBox you would either asume that FS looks at what is set in XBox settings and make it the same, or like you suggest, just renders it at 4K then downscales to 1080 output, which would be a slight FPS losing process on PC. Always better from FPS POV on PC to set FS and windows desktop to exact same res. Any scaling drops a few fps. This doesn’t include scaling with render scale which you don’t have access to on XBox either.

I think that the Xbox experience is so variable because there are in fact so many variables with everyone flying differently (airplane flown, add-ons installed, IFR/VFR, location, live weather, photogrammetry, etc.)

From reading countless threads on this forum, it seems like one big culprit is that marketplace add-ons on Xbox are causing a lot of crashes and issues for Xbox owners in this current state. Flying the sim in a “bare” state with no third party add-ons installed is resulting in a more positive and stable flying experience. Which is a shame because some people (including myself) have literally spent hundreds of dollars in marketplace add-ons.

1 Like

I tested this, and even if you set the Xbox to 1080p in the Xbox settings, MSFS will still render and output in 4K if it detects you have a 4K TV.

Interesting. So there is no way to have FS render at 1080 on a 4K TV. It auto detects 1080 screen. I always wondered how the X would perform at 1080p or 1440p.

It’s all automatic and offers me no alternate configs beyond setting it to 720P.

I’d agree with this, but just last night I had an exchange with someone suffering from stutters, etc. and was having him uninstall everything that is additional beyond the very base sim (no WUs, even) and he still had issues. He never even had any 3rd party content installed.

There is another thread where a different person (I think he’s commented here in this thread) who is getting constant CTDs on the base install, too.

It’s totally maddening to me that this goes on and I’m not even tasked with trying to fix it!