Xbox simmer here, about ready to give up (Or: Should I Just Break Down and Buy a PC?)

Interesting don’t you think? There are lots of potential effects on GPU output/load with all the possible video output combinations. One or more could be an issue but noone would ever know. I’m always amazed that there isn’t a guide for optimal/recommended XBox video output settings for FS by the devs, but it seems they’ve made it automatic and hidden from view along with the in game graphical sliders.
How interesting would it be to have the option to run the X at 1440p native in FS and see if things are more stable for people, or even reduce render scale by a fraction. Would provide very useful data and at least give users other options to try to optimise around.

i play on xbox series x, i have no add-ons at all, just the standard game, but CTDs on almost every second flight

i think the CTDs on xbox are caused by internet connectivity / streaming, but not because someone has bad internet at home, but because of Asobo/microsoft servers
or its poorly optimized
or just bad programming by Asobo idk

Correct. I think the only way you’d be able to make it work is to use a HDMI EDID emulator to “trick” the Xbox to think that you only have a 1080p display connected. But even then, I’m fairly certain the sim will still render in 4K and downscale to 1080p.

What would be nice for Series X owners is if the sim had some sort of “quality mode” and “performance mode” toggle in the settings similar to what is found in many other console games. So if Performance mode is selected, the game would render in 1080p similar to the Series S, and if Quality mode is selected, the sim would render in 4K like how it is today.

2 Likes

People are quick to blame add-ons. Before Xbox, people would report constant sim CTDs. Everyone blamed mods or marketplace add-ons. People would say they have NO add-ons and are running 100% vanilla, people would still insist they likely have something installed they’re not aware of, or blame hardware differences, system configs, etc.

Then along came Xbox. And they started experiencing the exact same issues. If you look at some of the early Xbox threads reporting CTDs and other game breaking bugs, you had the same members of the White Knight Club in there defending the sim and telling people that they had defective consoles and should return / RMA them because it shouldn’t crash on Xbox.

I’ve said this a bunch of times - the most consistent thing about MSFS is how inconsistent the experience is from one user to the next. And it seems to have little to do with platform or even add-ons in many cases.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are a lot of problematic add-ons as well. Even some in the Marketplace have caused issues. But people are far too quick to blanket blame add-ons or the end user for issues. People will install tons of junk from the internet, modify their config files, install “unsupported texture replacements”, etc and then ■■■■■ and moan that their sim is broken. In some cases, probably even a large percentage, this is truly the case.

But there’s more going on causing issues than just this. And I’ve long suspected that network services are the root of many of the CTDs people on both platforms are having.

4 Likes

I think this would be a great idea.
& maybe have an ‘advanced’ menu with possibities like output res, render scale & TLOD/OLOD sliders.

I can attest to having seen lots of Azure dropouts, licence verification errors, ATC drops etc that many others have reported, but I’ve never seen them cause a CTD (on PC). They are a continual issue though and seem to me to be as bad as they have ever been. Just about every session I experience some online Azure feature drop. Why do atc voices (for example) have to be online based anyway? Older versions of FS (2000 era) had ATC voice addons (I even recollect one with many regional accents included) installed locally and working just fine.

regarding 120 Hz, a guy in our group turned it to 60Hz for his Series X and has way less stuttering now, he says.
Not sure if that’s a setting on the X or on the TV though.

120 htz screen is the issue for what you are talking about.
60 htz is enough

Msfs doesn’t support 4k on 120 hrtz

Your passion can’t be questioned.
Re stuttering. Try deleting your rolling cache and letting the xbox rebuild it. After experiments with disabling it, leaving it enabled and deleting it every now and then works for me.
Re mouse. I use a powered USB 3.0 hub to connect mouse, hotas and keyboard to back USB and controller on its own wire to the front USB.
The game frequently does not see the mouse at startup and I plug it out of the hub and back in, and it gets recognized. After that if it stops, the quick resume trick worked in all but 1 situation that led to a console reboot.
Hope this helps if you stick with console flying

It’s an XBox X OS setting. But TV has to be able to support it. 60Hz and 30FPS on PC seems more of an optimal combo for FS so it’s likely the same on XBox, not that you get to see the in game FPS in Xbox or indeed choose what it is locked at.

From what I’ve read FS was designed for 30FPS/60Hz operation. It runs best and smoothest when locked there (for me). Other people chase FPS thinking it will be smoother, but then often complain of experiencing stutters as their systems struggle to maintain say 60FPS in scenic dense areas and airports.

1 Like

See, and then I don’t have this at all.

It’s insane.

The worst of it is, if the subtext of what Martial said/didn’t say on the last Q&A is to believed, is that Asobo aren’t really trying to reproduce these CTD issues (Xbox and/or PC) in-house due to a lack of direction from this forum on how to replicate them.

I don’t understand how we are ever going to get this solved unless they reach out to some of the userbase that are consistently having these issues and working with them directly to understand what’s going on. Work with some of these folks directly, out of the eye of this forum if they have to, just to get some traction on the issues.

1 Like

I’ve not had a crash to dash since Su7 on series x.

No add ons here and run with a rolling cache set to 16gb.

Is this something that has been an issue in the sim, wondering if any others have had this behavior? Just curious because I had posted in the beta thrustmaster thread about having this same issue and it just started for me after leaving the beta, never had this issue otherwise. Left because I could not get my xbox x to function with the hotas one, kept CTD.

Finally, the only way that I got my mouse to be able to click in msfs was to power off my xbox and actually unplug the power cable then turn everything back on and open up msfs, then the mouse worked.

Did you report this on the official thread for the mouse issue? Asobo are looking for direction on the issue. Please report it there if you haven’t.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There’s more to the data that gets moved around than the superficial services we directly have control over (PG, MP, Live Weather, etc). If you look and see what the sim is doing in the background in terms of data, there are a lot of various data connections open at all times, even if you have all those services disabled. And I’m guessing the network issues we’re having are tied into those background services.

In the end though, it doesn’t matter what we think or suspect. This is what we have and have to deal with. Microsobo are the ones that have to chase down these bugs and squash them.

3 Likes

Well, I can call myself whatever I like but that doesn’t mean others will view me as I want.

I think the simmers can decide what MSFS is, a game or a sim. And the answer tends to be heavily biased towards one product or another. But objectively, it is hard for me to view this as a “sim for simmers”. Its getting close, but with about 2 years in and still a way to go.

I just don’t see CTDs due to one drops so not sure why an XBox would be any different in that regard.

I think that’s the point for most of ctd’s + incompatibles Addon code

1 Like

And then prepare for more issues to happen :upside_down_face: