Xbox simmer here, about ready to give up (Or: Should I Just Break Down and Buy a PC?)

The first time I had CTD was about ten days back, it stuttered heavily then CTD, I posted about it on a Facebook group for XBOX/MSFS and the same time of day roughly, a couple of others reported CTD’s - this would lean heavily towards a data issue, it was a Saturday too so my guess would be server load was pretty high, I think but i’m not 100% certain, it was the Australia WU day.

1 Like

My CTD issues usually start / end with a sim update.

From launch until the sim update that introduced VR (Dec 2020), I rarely ever had a crash. The sim was fairly solid. I’d get crashes, but they were typically due to known issues. Most of the time, it was fairly reliable. We knew not to do “thing A” or else it would crash the sim.

After the Dec 2020 update, each sim and world update would add more issues for me. The trend was definitely downward. Each new update robbed me of performance and made the sim more unstable and less usable.

Then came SU5. After that, I was running great, both in performance and stability. There were issues, but I could be almost guaranteed to be able to finish a flying session without a crash. I’d still get the odd crash here and there and other issues (like Azure Voice drops), but overall it was a much improved experience.

Then SU7 rolled out, and the multiple crashes per day started again. That’s about when network services started getting really bad - constantly loosing Azure Voice, PG services, etc (despite a rock solid gigabit fibre connection on my end). It was making the sim extremely frustrating to use. I wouldn’t even have to be doing anything. It would even crash sitting idling at the world map sometimes.

Then the SU7 patch was released in early January, and it’s been the most stable the sim has ever been for me. I may have crashed twice since. This is easily the most stable the sim has ever been for me.

So needless to say, I’m a bit fearful of what SU8 will bring.

Yeah an Im pilot of the year whats you point Bwhahahahahah! :rofl:

I have to say, I was doing some testing for another thread on my Series X.

I brought it to my desk where my PC and my Thrustmaster Boeing yoke pack, throttles and TPR pedals are setup. I plugged in the Series X to the 27” 1080P TV I use here and ran the Boeing kit through it, too.

I just flew the EMB-110 for 2:10 hours and it was just fantastic. The Xbox was quiet as a church mouse, unlike my howling like a banshee cooling fans PC. The Xbox’s HDMI CEC control powered up the display automatically and the entire experience was rock solid and looked awesome even in 1080P.

I was looking at crucial.com for memory upgrades for my PC and for the price of 64GB of RAM I can buy a Series S or for a bit more (if I can find one) a Series X. This PC component pricing nightmare is 100% wack!

The best part of the flight is I just flew without thinking once of messing with some stupid graphics slider to try and improve the experience.

I even took off VFR, programmed in a flight plan on the GNS 530, radioed for IFR clearance whilst airborne, and flew to my destination trouble free.

I’m having a really hard time wanting to go full bore into my PC after experiences like this.

5 Likes

Yes, and it would help if some of that Network code was not compiled in debug mode, and then put into the release version !! :-1:

In my experience, over quite a lot of time, I feel there will never be an end to complaints from simmers because they always want more. That is what makes a simmer a simmer and not a gamer, we get what we ask for and then realise there is more, so the game is broken.
There is always something to do to improve our experience and we strive to attain it even the though it can be small we want it.
Hope you make the right decision, sounds to me you will.

Gando

Just popping back in to say I sure do appreciate all the kindness and kinship on this thread - I’ve read every response and I really appreciate the insight and discussion. Thank you all!

I spun up a Windows 10 instance from Boot Camp on macOS and I’m installing MSFS now. Hopes aren’t super high for performance but it’s giving me something else to tinker with, which I like. Thanks to the poster who recommended this.

We’ll get there!

1 Like

What machine are you loading it to?

I have been reading in the SU8 forums that some users have being seeing big performance gains for the beta so far. I think you should wait it out and see if SU8 makes a difference to you. If you are still not satisfied, then you can maybe make your decision to get yourself a PC.

Alot of Xbox users reporting performance gains with the SU8 beta. I do not know how PC is doing, I haven’t had any CTD for a while. It sucks because it seems like it affects some people and others do just fine. Here to hoping that it SU8 fixes a lot of your issues as Asobo has said it is mostly a focus on the bugs.

One thing I can say is the new propeller physics has definitely changed the game. It literally almost feels like real life. P-Factor, Adverse Yaw, feathering etc. It looks promising.

3 Likes

2018 MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, SSD, onboard Intel IrisPlus graphics with 1GB allocated video memory (why my hopes aren’t high). MSFS is at 90% downloaded as we speak. If it runs even halfway decently, and if I can get a Boot Camp’d Windows 10 OS to play nice with my VelocityOne yoke and Bravo throttle, tonight might be interesting! No hopes.

1 Like

Interesting thing is SU9 is pencilled in as a focus on “performance” update.

You may struggle, that video card is under min spec. 4GB video RAM I think is the minimum spec for FS.

EDIT: It’s listed as 2GB min VRAM, 4GB ideal.

1 Like

“Stability” update which doesn’t = performance

That is what I have been hearing that SU8 is supposed to be for bug fixing. I am not sure though I can be off.

Su 8 will be a bug fix according to the 3 articles that I read on google news the other morning. And all 3 said that only 8 non-game breaking bugs from the list were fixed, and then a bunch of other ones that no one was really asking for in the 1st place.

The beta’s working pretty good, they missed alot of broken knobs in the 208 that used to work , so far thats all Ive seen that applies to me. ;(

Don’t count on that working. I’d be shocked if it did.

1 Like

Yeah… I have the next year’s model… 4GB graphics.

Yep. It was pretty bad. Pretty much unplayable. But, expected!

1 Like

I don’t seem to have any issues on xbox. For frame rate drops, if you have any kind of respectable internet connection, clear and turn off the rolling cache and see if your frame rates stop lagging. I can’t really tell if it’s better solely based on internet. I had it on wifi around 120 down/50 up but fished a wire and now it’s ~900/450… Kind of remember it being a little ‘less smooth’ when I was on wifi for a little bit.

I have zero frame rate drops, just the occasional drop-in ‘chugs’ when in super dense cities as it loads new big chunks of cities(and it’s minor). Even with DC/KDCA scenery I can land and park, go to drone, shop for coffee in the terminal and get out and take off again with butter smooth frame rates(except for the WACO which CTD’s doing that). I have a pretty heavy hitting laptop that can run it solidly in the middle of things(use it for i racing mostly) but still have no issues just putting my little basement flight desk in place, plugging the buttkicker in and extending the 55" to 2" behind the yoke(takes 3 minutes to move it out of the way for the racing rig to come into it’s place or just couch gaming).

I did setup my yoke as per the simhangar video and it’s MUCH better assignments than default and just have a wireless keyboard and mouse on either side of it. Although resetting sensitivities gets a little old, I find rudder -50% and elevator -40%, and 4% dead zone completely favored to elevator up/off center, as the yoke doesn’t return to perfect center from back elevator(check your V1), which can cause trim issues.

May get the Boeing yoke setup for airliner/RJ work, but mostly just fly GA, was going to check to see if the pedals can be ported through like the HOTAS for the V1. Just too in love with the trim wheel and vernier levers and I just keep finding myself jumping in small GA planes. Of course, many moons ago flying a 747 with a CH pro seemed perfectly acceptable…

Keep in mind though with the V1 I pretty much took it completely apart and did a lot of messing around with the moving bits.