Yet another graphic downgrade! (water reflections)

What on earth. I’ve been keeping silent about most of the bugs, hoping Asobo will fix them, but this is ridiculous. @usamor’s before and after are a world apart: the light is no longer getting reflected. From a shady company, this would be luring users in with high wow factor and then slowly removing features as a scam. But no. Good god.

9 Likes

From the weather trailer:

I can’t find any good pic showing this, if someone has a night picture over the water looking at city lights would be great!

2 Likes

Lol :joy: $$$$$$

Console ready patch, got to make sure pending console release looks as good as PC :crazy_face:

in all seriousness Was there a reason given for removing the orbs for reflections @usamor ?
Assuming this was noted in some test release ?

2 Likes

Ye and Sharpness too, bad image quality now , incredible udapte . Please fix i cant play with a game , its no real

Day light reflections are a joke too:

weather trailer:

5 Likes

Yikes. Reflections are considerably worse.

3 Likes

Check the pictures again.

The diffusion on the reflections has been greatly reduced. This may be a caused by the less complex water shader. Look at the number of ripples and waves in the before pictures and then check the after pictures. It looks worse. Either on purpose or because of a bug.

Probably to gain some performance on weaker computers.

Sharpness Sharpness Sharpness ,

they have changed something, now the image is of poorer quality and very sharp

nothing to do with sharpness. look at the screens please!, the light bulbs are no longer there and the reflections now have the quality of a 8 yeras old title.

Omg what happened?

Puff when it fix??

1 Like

They made it console ready i think. Series x release.

6 Likes

Hmmm. I’ll see what it looks like when I get the patch downloaded. But so far I can’t see the issue.

When they say “improved” I’m pretty sure they mean “realistic”. None of you are comparing a real photo with the sim version. If you decide to, make sure sure you do it at the same angle, time of day and weather.

Before it looked to me like the water was some flat very reflective pond. It looked cool but was in no way realistic Most places don’t look like that in real life, mainly only super calm inland lakes. As soon as there are waves that mirror image is gone. Personally, I prefer realistic than “I wish the real world were like this”.

3 Likes

Looks like they took that whole “across the pond” thing a bit too literal.

After todays update…

As far as I can see, the problem affects mostly sodium (amber) lights. The water reflection on those has greatly been reduced. I just took off from Gibraltar, where I absolutely loved the reflection of the amber lights against the water at night. Now I can barely see them (yes, I have reflection settings on Ultra). The shot you have of the bridge posts are non-amber/white lights and those still reflect well in the sim. If the purpose of the change is to improve fps, especially for weaker computers, this should have been made into a settings slider, not something forced on everyone. Some of us have beefier computers and would like to enjoy such environmental effects.

2 Likes

Please report it then

4 Likes

Looks like they messed around with the shaders. Downgraded reflections and shadows.

3 Likes

After some more testing, this is what I noticed so far, just to set it clear:

1- Water reflections now, are extremely dependent of angle of sight with respect to the water. While this is true in real life, they went too agressive with this when water waves are very small. This only happens when waves are quite big. This was already represented in previous builds, but in a more accurate way.

2- Lamps bulbs have been removed from the reflections. Thats a fact. This is a huge downgrade, not an adjustement.

All this crazy messing with graphics MUST stop!. It is unfair to constantly change things (to worse) without giving the customers the option to decide. Im really upset about this things, this is not “optimizing”, this is lazy performance gain.

9 Likes

There is definitely something fishy with the reflections. I just discovered that none of the shore lights were reflecting but the tail light on my actual aircraft was reflecting off the water from a starting point on the SHORELINE and spreading out towards me a mile and half away! I would say something broken more so than downgraded!!

1 Like