You wanted a Flight SIM and got the World

EXACTLY !! we wanted a simulator and we got a world simulator…
what a joke.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is 2020…who needs multiple monitor support in a flight sim! Or advanced peripherals! Or reliable autopilot! Or cockpits without (inop)! IFR that works? Nah.

The people complaining are complaining because this is missing fundamental features that simmers have become accustomed to over 20 years. All those were brought up during the Alpha/Beta period. Multiple monitor support was mentioned in a blog post 10 months ago.

7 Likes

IFR works. Autopilot is reliable. Maybe you should study how to use them a bit better. If you expect a commercial flight simulator for a broad audience with study-level aircraft out of the box, you’re simply delusional. Sorry not sorry that you can’t play pretend pilot and press the button to tell your pretend passengers to fasten their seat belts.

I just completed the 18th leg of a tour around the world, all done IFR, with extensive use of autopilot, without any issue besides super-small things that could easily be worked around, from Italy to North-east Russia, including international airports and small regional ones in the middle of nowhere.

Now I’m gonna start the next to Alaska, and guess what? It’s going to be exactly the same smooth sailing with IFR that works and autopilot that brings me exactly where it should.

Keep complaining and trying to derail a thread celebrating someone and their family’s positive experience with the sim. Those who can fly are doing exactly that.

12 Likes

Nice. I have been enjoying it… but my city is one of the worst in the world for smoke today… clear skies in the sim. Looking forward to the patch.

1 Like

Exactly. This ain’t no flight simulator. It’s a world simulation which includes flight simulation as one of its many components, as has been said by study-level flight simulation studio PMDG’s CEO Robert Randazzo himself:

1. “This is an entirely new world simulation”
  2. “What MSFS is providing to us is a world simulation into which we can insert some truly incredible simulations.”
  3. “Unlike previous generations, MSFS is a live, evolving platform that will remain under continual development.”
  4. “This is the platform that we will be using for the next 5-10 years. As such we are making a long-term investment in our development effort.”
  5. “Microsoft’s effort here is much larger than any of us can truly appreciate. This is a good thing for simming as a hobby.”

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/75469-30jul20-pmdg-s-view-of-msfs-and-the-future-of-simming

Yeah I keep noticing that quote a lot. In a flight/world simulator there’s no such thing as pretty graphics/pictures. They look either realistic or they don’t. In MSFS, they look realistic, and that’s why they are usable for hardcore study-level VFR simulation while in the sims of the dark ages that wasn’t possible (or possible but required a lot of money and time but still didn’t look as realistic as MSFS).

I’m aware of this issue, and have seen it appear in some videos made by a youtuber. Basically he was flying over some airports in US and telling his viewers how ugly and bombed-out they look. Out of curiosity I spawned in the same airports he was flying over, and on my end they looked absolutely perfect and nothing like his version.

This is what I wrote to him: "Perhaps it’s one of your hardware devices that is jank and causing the so-called jankiness. My suspicion is on your 1060 6 GB. Mine is a 1080ti. Your CPU and RAM are many times better than mine though (i7-5820k, 16 gb ram). Because out of curiosity I just loaded the same airport on my PC and it looks absolutely nothing like how you represented it in this video. Here are some screenshot comparisons I made: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Keep in mind that MSFS 2020 scales its overall performance (both visuals and fps) up or down depending on your hardware and internet speed. Watch some of the official MSFS discovery videos, specially the one made by lead engine developer Lionel Fuentes where he talks about how the sim takes into consideration your hardware and internet speed."

As you can see, he has a 1060, and mine is a 1080ti. I’m curious to know what GPU you’ve got. Looked into your profile but there’s no easy way to find out your GPU model.

5 Likes

Excellent write-up. Could you do the world a favor and send this piece to PCGamer, TechRadar, CNN, Verge etc for greater and proper visibility which it deserves? This whole forum is behind some sort of a wall where you have to create an account and log-in to read and write stuff, and I don’t think Google and Bing search engines have access to it either.

Nice one! :smiley:

And this forces me to mention something. My city doesn’t have photogrammetry and isn’t listed as one of the hundreds of photogrammetried areas in Windows 10 Bing map app, yet in MSFS it has everything: my house (and other places I’ve lived in the past), school, universities, nearest church (although some others are missing), stadiums, cinemas and work. Nearly everything. And they all look quite accurate (not 1:1 accurate but still quite accurate), even down to 200 feet. I thought places that don’t have photogrammetry weren’s supposed to look accurate?

Then this happened. Don’t know how they did it, but someone found some photogrammetry data of the city from elsewhere, somehow put it into MSFS (I have no idea how they did that) and released it as a freeware addon. For good reasons I can’t and won’t mention the source or download link but you get my point :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be using that title “Dark Ages Simulator” from now on to refer to p3d, fsx and XP if you don’t mind :laughing:

5 Likes

You missed my point entirely…no one is debating that the graphics are going in the right direction…but, still a lot of work has to be done. Let’s hope they continue to improve the imaging, though I am sure they’ll draw a line in the sand, at some stage, and leave the graphic improvements to the 3rd party developers. I am talking about the abundant errors in the basic flight models. Before you jump to conclusions again, I was not expecting study level models, just the basics to be right. Let’s see what happens in the next upgrade in the next 10 days shall we? Hopefully some solid fixes will occur.

1 Like

Thanks for this uplifting post! I share your opinion: MSFS is a milestone in video gaming history!

I live in Hungary. Now I live in the capital, Budapest but born grew up in the eastern part of the country. On of my first flights was to fly to my birth town from a nearby town where my first real workplace was. It was maybe my most unbelieveable experience I had on a computer.
I took off from the small grass airstrip of Miskolc, and gained some altitude in the yellow Cub. I instatntly recognized the area, and started following route 26 to Kazincbarcika, my birth town. Everything was there: just leaving Miskolc the fuel station along the road. The four lane road switched to two lanes exactly where in real life. After passing Sajószentpéter I reached the large chemical industry where my parents worked. After that I reache my birth town: found the hospital where I was born, the apartment building where I grew up, the elementary and the high school where I studied. And of course the bar, which me and my friends visited frequently during late high school years. :slight_smile:

The experience itself was amazing, but the fact that a simulator out of the box provided this experience is mind-blowing. An area on the Earth which is completely uninteresting for most people rendered in a quality I’ve never seen before in a flight sim. Without mods, even without correcting details with human input! What I saw was a work of satellite images and AI algorhythms! Of course there are some inaccuracies - even some major one - but modders will take care of them. But what really counts is great: the most immersive flight / travelling experience I’ve ever had on PC

4 Likes

Imagine … they can easily make PORTS and nice detailed SHIPS also on this engine. Combine it to one big simulation.

Add ons like Onair or air hauler can be made for ships also.

This is just the beginning … if we have good study planes like PMDG … air hauler 2 available … the fun begins.

1 Like

None of these are from the USA (by the way, in the first pic I fell off the end of the runway…oops - had a blast trying to land there!).

St Barthelemy Island, Caribbean (TFFJ):

Barbuda, Caribbean (near TAPH):

East coast of Scotland - near Dundee (near EG11):

Reykjavik (BIRK):

Iceland, North of Reyjavik (near BIIS I think):

Jan Mayen Island, North of Iceland (approx 71N 8W - no airports near here):

Greenland (near BGKK):

Toronto, Canada (CYTZ):

Sabo/Juancho E Yrausquin (TNCS):

4 Likes

I’ll refer you to my previous post

1 Like

Ah yes, the entitlement to expect what you demand and no-one else’s approach could possibly be tolerated. Loving it. What a fantastic community the simmers are showing themselves to be.

2 Likes

My experience exactly. AP works a treat, I can take over the flying when I want, and the IFR works well for me. I got the AP to land me at an airport the other day so I could look out the window and take some pictures. I’m going to places in the world that I will never get to go to in my lifetime. Sure I could do it through Google Earth or Bing Maps even - but this sparks the imagination and excitemtn in me in a way that they could never do.

The haters will keep hating though and will keep posting their “Ex-plane is better than FSX and back in the day the ATC was much better” threads. Unfortunately they don’t seem to get that all the whining won’t make any difference if they don’t put the votes in and raise the ZenDesk tickets - and even if they do, for some reason still they feel the need to litter these forums with those kinds of pointless toxic threads. Just as they are trying to make this thread toxic too.

6 Likes

Question away, not a problem - just what’s the need for the toxicity or the hate or trying to take away from others enjoyment? The OP wrote a great post, sharing his experience, only to get it **** on. What good has that done?

After MSFS 2020, I believe …

After this “NEXTGEN” simulator, everything will be possible, at last. :blush:

I believe there will be no requirement to insert your floppy disk or DVD1 into the drive before each flight (for boxed version). :blush:

I believe we will have all basic functions in our aircraft cockpits and all those buttons will be active. :blush:

I believe we will have a choice of not installing lunatics, Orc villages and other rubbish on our computers to ensure fast FS installation/launching and smooth flights without stutters. :blush:

I believe that in the 22nd century, professional programmers will find a way to pop up a Splash Screen when the user clicks on the FS shortcut, before the gigantic mammoth wakes up. :blush:

P.S. Can’t be serious about those “NEXTGEN” things and related fluff anymore. :blush:

P.P.S. It is good that you posted MSFS screenshots here – at least some people, who have bought the FS, will see how it should look when running. :blush:

3 Likes

Sigh, more of the same toxicity. I;m sure the OP will be rushing to show his son how the “community” reacted to his post /not

1 Like

Funny that, I share your opinion when flying over Rome as well. Hang on, that’s not in the USA or London either.

2 Likes

Lucky you. In my town we have 12 churches, not one of them is shown in the sim. This will probably be rectified one way or another in time but my point is, scenery realism is very variable depending on where you live.

1 Like

Read the patch notes and known issues. Autopilot is buggy by their own admission. I’ve had consistent issues trying to navigate from VOR to VOR in the 152. I do that regularly with no issues in X-Plane. I know how to do it.

3 Likes

For you maybe, but those of us who wish to fly it with real world procedures and expect the functionality to mirror the real world counterpart we have a lot of work to do

People who counter signal the “haters” are just as terrible as the irrational posters who say the app is trash.

It’s has a great graphics engine, and I’ve had few crashes - but much of what makes it a flying sim v a scenery tech demo has to be worked on.

Airports that have zero arrival procedures despite having them in real life? Sids and stars that are missing waypoints completely? AP that doesn’t fully function, permanent 29.92 pressure and unchanging winds? These are all critical issues demanding attention.

Plus if the devs can fix this software, you can still fly it your way, and I can use it my way. It’s not a sin to criticize the many problems that are on the table.

Plus a lot of the critical comments have already led to community mods. Unfortunate that a few weeks old release has mods to fix things, but it is progressing regardless if the devs get to it or not. Thats the heart of the sim community. As long as the comments are constructive.

Saying it’s amazing and whiners have no place is ignorant when some of the stock aircraft don’t even have correct fuel consumption, which is a basic thing that shouldn’t even have an issue at launch. Ive been playing it exclusively since launch and the more I play it , the more I enjoy it , but I also find new problems regularly as well.

I’m optimistic , but the sim we have today is what it is. I will put faith that asobo will fix it, but I will hold that praise until the patches are in our grubby hands

7 Likes