Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Thanks for that. So basically, their non-LL/FF products.

Felt guilty about asking, loaded in - you are correct!

1 Like

The 170B has been recently patched, I took it for a fly earlier today and it seems much better. Now worth picking up, especially at that price.

It is probably now on par with the somewhat loud AH c140, itā€™s main competitor.

I suspect there are still electrical issues with some external switch gear but the c140 has the same problem - that is an issue with how the game handles the power bus. Having separate external Main and Alternator switches on aircraft that only have one switch for both will always be an issue I suspect.

I still prefer the c140 but that is a personal preference. I actually fly both, especially in neofly.

The 170 is a bargain at that price.

1 Like

Iā€™m not gonna bother - got plenty similar Iā€™d rather fly at the moment.

I have been flying the Kamov Ka-10M HAT helicopter since the marketplace got the latest version and itā€™s way better than previous version. Dunno what was wrong before but it was all over the place (call it bugs) but now itā€™s handling really well. Bargain for the price and great for city touring.

Iā€™m seriously considering ā€œtreating myselfā€ to the CowanSim JetRanger tomorrow now itā€™s available on fs.to, but I am going to dig into the H145 latest beta again and see if the massive problems I had last time have been resolved first.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still waiting for the Wilga. But it has got me flying the Spit and Moth a lot recently. I really do have several planes I enjoy taking up every time.

The Hellcat is still my favorite of the current warbirds. Just so big and gaudy.

I might pick that helicopter up though. Really priced well enough I hardly care how it flies. :joy:

hehe, yeah but it would be nice to use it because you want to, regardless of price, rather than $5 sat in your hangar forever and never used. Itā€™s good to go! Good training for hovering as you donā€™t need to worry so much about ā€œpedalsā€. It CAN and DOES still get out of shape though, but itā€™s a magnitude easier than a single rotor chopper.

1 Like

In terms of the flying experience the only thing similar to the 170 is the 140.

Hellcat is a monster! No wonder the Zeros could not shoot it down

1 Like

My January 2023 Top 10 in alphabetical order:

• //42 FreedomFox / Fox2
  • Antā€™s Airplanes Tiger Moth
  • Blackbird Simulations DHC-2 Beaver (w/ GotFriends Expansion Pack)
  • Blackbird Simulations C310
  • Carenado Beechcraft Bonanza V35B
  • FlightFX SF50 Vision Jet
  • FlyingIron Simulations F6F Hellcat
  • Got Friends PZL-104 Wilga 35/80
  • JustFlight PA-28R Turbo Arrow III/IV
  • SimWorksStudios Kodiak 100
3 Likes

which he did not use much it was said.

Now, without headtracking I would not fly this thing at all, but that also goes for some warbirds or biplanes from the first half of the 20th century.

For a short flight now and then itā€™s quite fun.

4 Likes

Almost like landing from back seat of an F-4 Phantom, try this on a carrier.

4 Likes

Top 10 for january.

The four planes i do most of my flying in.

1. P28 arrow III. Just flight
    If i could pick just one plane this would be the one. Best pick for VFR flying and love the sounds, lack of visible GPS and statesaving options.

2. C310. Milviz/Blackbird.
    Great for cross country flying. Everything is excellent about this plane. Challenge to land at smaller runways. Really immersive plane with interesting features.

3. Turbo Porter PC-6. Milviz/Blackbird
    Love the steamgauge variant. Love to fly this plane. Would be my top pick if it would had some more features like the C310, but still one of my favorites.

4. B350 steam gauge overhaul. blacksquare
    This made the kingair so much more immersive and challenging to fly. Like to fly VOR to VOR without the GPS (most interesting way to fly). Love the different instrument options.

The other good and interesting planes.

1. DC-6. PDMG
    This is a really well made, interesting plane that can keep you entertained for ages if you like the older tubeliners.

2. L1049 Super Constellation. Redwing
    Great aircraft and project. Not as polished as some other planes, but it makes up for that features. This plane has a lot of interesting features that get more with every update. Deserves more positive attention.

3. Ryan NYP (ā€œSpirit of St. Louisā€) Bluemesh
    Really interesting plane, with good modelling and textures. Flying this is something different.

4. C152 with the jpl-mod
    A free jewel.

The planes that shouldn`t be in this list but are.

1. DC-3 with the duckworks mod.
    It came for free, but didnt like how it handled and was implemented. With the mod installed its a nice plane to fly. Would love a better DC-3 but this will do for now.

2. Twin otter. Aerosoft
    Would love a version with more depth and up to a higher standard, but its ok for casual flying.

4 Likes

And I was thinking now that itā€™s a TOP 10 it would be easy. Plenty of room for everything, right? Right. Turns out, I still had to throw two planes out of the list to whittle it down to ten.

Category I: Neutron planes. (Which relate to normal planes as Neutron stars do to normal stars. Take everything that could possibly be awesome in a plane and condense it until there is nothing left but pure awesomeness in its nuclear form. Then compress further until there are no more gaps between each nucleus of awesome for the highest amount of awesome per cubic pixel that the laws of physics will allow. Shape this into the outlines of an aeroplane and make it available for us lucky users to fly in this superb sim. Thatā€™s what Neutron planes are.)

1. Of course, the Antā€™s Airplanes Tiger Moth. Iā€™m on record stating (quite without anyone having to ask) that the Tiger Moth is my absolute favourite plane in any sim, at any time, that I have ever flown. I stand by this assessment. It simply feels right in every possible way. Iā€™d have to look with a microscope (and Iā€™ve got access to lots of them) to find anything wrong with it, and even then that would be things that donā€™t have any impact on my enjoyment. The Tiger Moth is simply out of this world.

2. Got Friends Wilga PZL-104. I canā€™t thank @Baracus250 enough for recommending this and convincing me to jump right into it. For those who want more complexity than the Tiger Moth, who want something not quite as vintage (though pretty vintage still!), who want to play at being a bush taxi, there is currently no better offering that I am aware of. Not only does the Wilga tick all of these boxes, it does so with near infinite character and ambience.

Category II: White Dwarf planes. Which only nearly missed making it to being Category I, but which contain an extremely high density of awesome. Fantastic planes in nearly every way, but there is a little bit of room between the nuclei of awesome that would make them even better.

1. Blackbird PC-6 Porter. Challenging for a small piston kind of pilot like me, but fun and rewarding to learn. Splendid plane with a can-do attitude. Whatever you ask of her, she does it willingly. Unless you overtorque or hot start the engine, in which case youā€™re in trouble.

2. Just Flight Arrow III. Just Flight were a game-changer in this sim. They were the first who really created a high fidelity model for MSFS. And that first model happens to be an utter joy to fly. Benign handling, just enough complexity to train procedures, just enough speed and range to get around, countless liveries available on flightsim.to, perfect ambience. A must have for anyone who likes GA planes. All planes in the PA28 family from Just Flight are marvellous, but for me itā€™s the classical Arrow III that has stolen my heart.

3. Big Radials P-40B Tomahawk. This warbird offers more than most people realise. Not more realism - I guess it just about ticks that box but not more. Not more complexity - compared with some of the other warbirds the P-40B is relatively simplistic. But once airborne she handles beautifully, has a lovely engine drone, and has the charm of not being one of the best fighter planes of its day. So while this plane technically may not be on the same level of perfection of the others in this category, it makes up for it in pure joy of flying.

Category III: Subgiant planes. Which are great fun to fly and shine much more brightly than a majority of other planes I have ever tried. All of these are boundless fun. The only reason theyā€™re not in category II is that i donā€™t fly them as much (or donā€™t anymore) as the ones further up the list.

1. Antā€™s Airplanes Drifter. The best and most realistic of the ultralights, as attested to by me (who is confidently expert on the basis of no real-life flying experience whatsoever). It feels well-rounded, capable, is great fun, and has the best visibility of any plane bar none.

2. Blackbird FG-1D Corsair. By all rights this one should be higher on my list. It is technically the better plane than the P-40 which made it to Cat. II. Itā€™s a famous plane with a famous performance history in real life, came to life in some obscure TV show (and Iā€™m using the word ā€œobscureā€ quite wrongly), looks weird but beautiful, flies higher and faster than most other warbirds. But when it comes to choosing between flying this one or the P-40, Iā€™ll choose the P-40 more often than not. To be honest, I cannot say why I prefer the P-40 - maybe some weird emotional attachment that I have for some odd reason. In all likelihood the Corsair the better warbird for most people and I can absolutely recommend it.

3. Blackbird DHC-2 Beaver. Out of all of the free planes that I have tried this is without a doubt the one with the most character. Plus, it just fits my style of airplane. Iā€™d still have preferred a more complete payware addon, but on the other hand Iā€™m glad that everyone now has access to this classic. Iā€™d most certainly recommend you to get this plane, but I have a nagging feeling you might have it in your hangar already.

4. Iris Simulations Jabiru J 160-C. A well rounded, uncomplicated and undemanding little GA airplane. If you just want to do a quick flight without much hassle, this could be the ideal choice. Not study-level by any means, but for the type of aircraft this is, it has the exact right amount of detailing. Fun and well worth the money.

5. Asobo Top Rudder 103 Solo Ultralight. Oh, I spent hours in this one. Flying super slow just a few feet above the ground is where this sim really shines, and thatā€™s precisely why this is such a great plane.

7 Likes

Beautiful write up - thank you very much! Really enjoyed reading every word of it.

I love your categorisation theme!! Very funny :smiley:

Except maybe the 103 Solo? And I guess you donā€™t have the HPG Hot Air Balloon? :slight_smile: (you like slow, rightā€¦???). That Kamov Ka-10M has pretty phenomenal visibility too (directly down) and you can hover to get a really good look at stuff.

Gonna add this and the previous two submissions later on - just treated myself to the CowanSim JetRanger so giving that a test run first, so I have not ā€œheartedā€ the posts yet but I will when I add them to the spreadsheet. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Maybe, yes. Itā€™s actually tricky to rank the two in terms of visibility. The 103 Solo has the motor and a small dash in the front, blocking a little bit of forward visibility, as well as the wings next to the pilotā€™s head, blocking visibility to the side in a bank. In all other directions, including straight downwards, it is utterly perfect though. The drifter has that cockpit shell in the front, but that is only blocking your vision when you look pretty steeply downwards. In turn, thereā€™s effectively nothing at all blocking your sight in any other direction except towards your six. Both are excellent though.

True. Iā€™ve been thinking about getting this one a few times, but I wonder how long it would remain interesting and when it might get boring. But I think I might give it a try anyway, by all accounts it seems to be very relaxing.

1 Like

Yeah to be fair - itā€™s very unusual to say the least. But I like unusual things. I have only flown it 3 times so thatā€™s Ā£5 per trip :slight_smile: Oh wellā€¦ it is well made, and it does provide a unique experience but you knowā€¦ itā€™s kinda weird as you donā€™t really ā€œcontrol itā€ so much as ā€œdelay the moment you might consider wanting to land somewhere randomā€ :smiley:

1 Like

It sure is not a common flightexperience.
You can control or ā€œcheatā€ a bit by effecting the wind/weather during flight.
But I planned my balloonflights with the windy app, and I must say that with changing altitude and windlayer as you would do in real life, I made several landings just a couple of hundred meters from my target point.
The approach while flying a couple of feet over the houses and finally precisionland on a small field or parking lot is still quite a exhilarating experience.

2 Likes

You know what. Thatā€™s why I love this thread. Iā€™m gonna finish this flight Iā€™m on now and take her up again. Then it will have only been Ā£3.75 per flight. Bonus!

Actually just looked and I paid Ā£13, so Ā£3.25 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it did win the award for highest average score!

I agree though, itā€™s strange what is stopping people. Itā€™s not my kind of plane (I donā€™t have it) but I wonder why the lovers of vintage passenger aircraft didnā€™t take to it as much as the others?

2 Likes

I decided to pick up the C170b. Iā€™ve really enjoyed the AH C140 and liked the idea of stepping up to a bigger, faster, version that still has that retro look. I really like the rounded tail on both of them.

Took it for a short flight and am not disappointed, especially at the price.

I paid through PayPal and was expecting to be given the option to choose which card PayPal used. I have a Visa gift card that still had enough to cover the cost. Instead PayPal used my default card.

I guess Iā€™ll have to figure out how to use the gift card and use it on ANOTHER plane! Thinking of the CT182T or the M20R Ovation. Or maybe the Skymaster. Maybe Iā€™ll have to consult the latest ā€œTop 10 Listā€

1 Like

Here you go :wink: Dropbox - MSFS_Aircraft_Charts46.pdf - Simplify your life

3 Likes