Your optimal settings for smooth VR (Reveerb G2)

I am enjoiyng my VR in past week. The thing is, that there is just lots of testing and trying, wich settings are just for you.

I want to tell my latest experience. Past 4 days i have flyed and read this forum. Lots of good stuff and anklowelence here. I have used OpenXR´s motion repojection, but i know how it works so i just tested new old method… without it.

My Specs

• 9900KS underclocked to 4,8ghz (Boost is 5,1). Very cool and quiet
  • 3080ti underclocked (Very cool and quiet)
  • 32gb ddr4
  • 40gb virtual ram (Pagefile)
  • Lasso (to disable 1. and alast thread (affinity) from all the other aplications but FS2020, FS2020 uses those thread full 100%)
  • CleanMEM monitor, it cleans my ddr4 and its cache with 1min intervall.

Basicly i just had to lower my other setting to have smooth stutterles VR. So here what i did

• updated yesterday OpenXR in Win store -) library -) update
  • updated Nvidia driver last week
  • did order new cable to G2 from HP (free)
  • locked fs2020 fps to 45fps via Nvidia control panel
  • “prefer maximum performance” in NCP
  • Best visual quality in MRP (setting is inside of WIN10)
  • 90hz refresh rate of G2
  • disabled Motion reprojection
  • 80% Custom render scale (OpenXR)
  • 80% Render scale (FS2020)
  • LOD´s 100/100
  • FS2020 Graphics: settings medium

My test area is Helsinki with Photogrammetry and with Helsinki Metropolitan landmarks ( i made that addon). It is very FPS unfriendly place, but now it was pleasure to fly with VR. No stutters at all and i can clearly see my intruments in cockpit. Howewer, i van increase those settings in country side to 90/90 to have same smooth experience but not to 100/100. Clouds are pretty bad for fps and smoothness, but it is very cool to

So, we just need to wait Asobo implement NIS to the simulator? Or is there other way to have some AI sharpeness/clearness?

What is the settings i should try to lower in simulator, so i can try 90/90 in Helsinki?

Tell settings you use for a smooth VR experience.

1 Like

You should amend your title to specify G2 as Oculus has its own XR implementation.

Done. Thanks for headsup.

1 Like

There’s no external way to get smoother VR as far as I know. As you said NIS doesn’t work and you cannot implement FSR either as this is openxr not openvr. Ive seen the improvements to fps that FSR gives in DCS.

The worst things for frame rate in my opinion are:

Renderscale. In game has the biggest impact on both visual and performance, oxr not as mucj but still significant.

LOD. I wouldn’t go below 100/100 and anything above this I’ve notice a big hit on the frames

Clouds. Its not just the visual side that impacts but I’ve found flying through aerosol to have a big effect. Like 5-6 fps just between high and ultra# and up to 10 to low. I can’t go below high as they make such a difference to the game

AO. Big difference in performance between ultra and low. Not that much visually in my opinion

Contact shadows. Similar to AO.

Just my thoughts. You could try find captlucky8’s guide or YouTube Pieintheskytours.

I am currently using TAA100/OXR80 with motion reprojection on. Everything high except AO and contact shadows on low, pre-cache ultra. Incredibly smooth only the very occasional stutter in aerosol above a big city. 5950x 3090.

3 Likes

Check out MSFS | BEST VR SETTINGS TUTORIAL | REVERB G2 - YouTube and his channel. It’s what I used to get things dialed in.

I have an all AMD system, 5800x and 6900xt and a Reverb G2. I have smooth flights. Here’s my measurements from CapFrameX. This is from an 8 minute flight at 2000 feet above Philadelphia with photogrammetry on in the DA40.

You’ll see that my average framerate is only 30 fps because I cap it to a max of 30 fps. You don’t need 45 fps for smooth flight. However you can also see that my 1% and 0.1% low averages are really close to the 30 fps average. This is how you get smooth gameplay. My framerate doesn’t vary much. There’s no high highs or low lows. It’s all consistent and smooth.

My settings are simple. I had to lower them slightly after SU7.
Motion Reprojection off (it enables me to push my settings a little higher plus it more clear)
Capped framerate to 30 fps
70% openxr and 100% TAA
Both LOD settings at 100% (for Terrain LOD above 150 stutters)
All the game settings are 1 notch below max so find the highest value and back it off 1 notch.

One last thing. In the AMD graphics software I disable everything. I don’t want to have to manage my settings in multiple places so I just turn them off. It’s too confusing to know the interactions from so many differing settings so I only play with the game settings. Of course I do use the AMD software to cap my max framerate.

That’s it. Good luck,

1 Like

Tried a few of these settings suggested. There’s a little difference in certain situations and in certain aircraft. I sold my old Quest 2 and got a G2 a few weeks ago. Mixed feeling about it and still got mixed feelings about VR in general.

Part of my issue is even though the G2 is a much, much easier headset to get working and get working relatively well in the sim I still find myself spending more time reading threads and watching Youtube tutorials trying to get it working well than I do actually flying and just enjoying VR. I find myself in this constant state of being convinced that there’s this one magic hardware tweak or setting somewhere where I’m going to get to the much fabled promised land of stutter free VR at reasonably high settings. Because thats what everyone else seems to be experiencing.

I’ll keep hold of my G2 as a future investment because it is a really good headset. I think the truth of it is only Asobo can optimise things for a better and satisfactory VR experience and I don’t think they’re in any rush to do that. Not when there’s possibly only a few hundred people out there who regularly use VR in the sim.

3 Likes

That’s a nice coincidence. I plan to buy a better GPU (coming from a RTX 2080 which is not bad). An RTX 3080 TI is nice but I’m hesitating to pay at least 1.800 € for such a card. For that reason I’m looking after a 6900 XT which is 300 € cheaper.

In this video MSFS VR | RTX 3090 VS 6900XT: WHICH IS BETTER? [REVERB G2] - YouTube VR Flight Sim Guy experiences extreme stutters when he tried to run 100% openxr and 100% TAA. In his comparison that was not the case with the RTX 3090 (low fps of course but no extreme stuttering).

Can you confirm this behaviour of a 6900 XT in full G2 resolution? In the comments to his video users suppose that the stuttering is either a driver problem or a problem of the slower RAM.

What to you think about these issues and guesses?
I would appreciate if you can help me out for my decision what GPU to buy.

The following works nicely for my specs, which are:
CPU: Intel i9-9900K 4,9 GHz
GPU: RTX 2080 (driver: 496.49)
Windows 10 (version 21H1)

After more than a year of tweaking and finally using the settings suggested by CptLucky, which worked really great until SU6, I’ve now set my nVidia CP to “let the app decide” which gave me more smoothness than any other nVidia setting before, with quite decent graphics. It even allowed me to deactivate OXR custom render scaling after SU7, which gave me more clarity without significant loss in smoothness (had it reduced to OXR 60 and in-sim render scaling 85 before). Furthermore I noticed a significant performance loss after SU6 due to the new terrain-LOD introduced back then. I found out that reducing terrain level of detail to 30 gives me the same smoothness I had prior to SU6 and no performance loss after SU7. Obviously the sim did not have a worse performance after SU6, but the low fps many users complained about had to do with the much greater default LOD. 30 after SU6 is more or less similar to 100 prior to SU6. However, one must be aware of the fact that at TLOD 30 scenery popping-in is also back. It is simply a matter of taste and up to each user to decide if s/he wants to trade LOD for smoothness. I guess we have to live with some compromise here until there’s something like a 7-GHz cpu on the market, because at anything more than TLOD 50 I am cpu-limited in VR. But as I use to fly airliners only, TLOD 30 is enough for me, I can put up with that. With this setting now the scenery looks the same as prior to SU6 with much more clarity, better reflections and equal smoothness as before SU6 and more so after SU7. All in all after SU7 without tweaking I have a slightly better experience than I had before with all that tweaking. In my opinion SU7 was an improvement: better for mediocre machines, such as mine, as well as for those who can crank up TLOD to more than 100, thanks to the bigger slider range (400) Asobo introduced with SU6.
I also stopped tinkering around with in-sim sttings. I just resetted them to default, I then cranked render scaling up to 85, offscreen scenery pre-caching to ULTRA, raymarched reflections to HIGH and glass cockpit refresh rate to HIGH. I am quite happy with that setting for VR.
Summary:
OXR:
Custom render scaling: deactivated
Motion reprojection: off
Sim:
Render scaling: 85
Terrain level of detail: 30
Offscreen pre-caching: ULTRA
Raymarched reflections: HIGH
Glass cocpit refresh rate: HIGH
The rest: default settings
Sometimes I can set volumetric clouds to HIGH, there is no significant performance loss unless I’m taxiing at some demanding add-on airport.

Greetings and happy landings to y’all

1 Like

I watch him too and he’s a nice, entertaining guy. The problem with his sugggestions and other people in the comments is that they never show any actual data. Without data it’s just all talk to me. From my testing I’ve come to the conclusion that you need your 0.1% low measurements to average above 20 fps to really show stutter-free flight. Any data that’s not showing the low measurements isn’t really the data you need. Capping your framerate is the magic that allows the low measurements to get high enough.

I think you won’t go wrong with either of the cards you mentioned. Get the software I suggested, CapFrameX, and do your own testing. I’m sure you’ll find settings that you can be happy with. I’ve tried the 100/100 settings many times with the 6900XT and I can run it but it stutters. I need to go down to 80/100 to get stutter-free and that’s when my 0.1% lows are just above 20 fps. So I lower to 70/100 to get a little headroom, I don’t push the LOD too far etc. and enjoy the sim. Believe me, it’s very enjoyable at the settings I described above. Well actually, don’t believe me but look at my data :wink:

Good luck.

1 Like

I’ve spent ages trying to get a smooth experience with my i9 10900k 3080 and G2. What I have proved is that it is impossible to get a totally smooth experience without Motion Reprojection. Looking sideways when flying low and fast is the way to test for smoothness. I fix my frame rate in the nvidia settings to 30. Things have definitely improved after the last OpenXR update. I think you have to put up with the occasional hiccup in frame rate but I’ve managed to push my settings quite high and get a half decent performance.

Have you tried the updated OpenXR from a couple of days ago, with the Latest Preview OpenXR Runtime enabled, Motion Reprojection off, and Render Scale to 70 and 100 percent in the game? This totally transformed VR for me.
2080 Super

I will try today 70/100 and with terrain lod to 60/400.

Which update are you referring too? I can’t find anything beyond this: https://www.khronos.org/openxr/ and this 108.2109.21002 that is mentioned in this forum a couple of weeks back. Is that the one I should find somewhere, because I’m seeing 109.2111.23003 API version 1.0.19 in Windows Mixed Reality Runtime? I would assume 109… would be the latest.

You need to update it through Microsoft store. There’s a thread about it on these forums. It makes a improvement especially if you use MR and can maintain 30fps, hardly any artifacts.

Thanks, but I could not find anything in the store. However, Is the 109… correct anyway?

Yes that is correct. 109.2111.23003 is the current one when latest runtime preview is checked.

108.2111.23004 is when it is unchecked and despite looking very similar is the older of the two versions.

Thank you. Cleared it up.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.