Your personal flight sim setup

Hey all!

I’ve read a lot of posts and have seen some incredible cockpits but I feel the need to make a point. No matter what equipment you buy, honeycomb, saitek or others, what matters when you’re going to set up your own personal sim aircraft is to consider what are you going to be doing with it. I get if you you’re doing flight training or something or you just love the B737 more than anything you’re going to build a sim that meets those needs. But overall the best piece of equipment I’ve ever purchased was the $500 bucks I spent on the Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant. With these two items I can configure to fly ANY aircraft. From a simple single engine piston to a four engine jet. I’ve never found that with other equipment unless I spent a lot more money. Honeycomb has hit the nail on the head with the best overall equipment for your sim. Anyone who wants that kind of ability then it’s the way to go.

Good luck and keep the blue side up!

Paul R.

4 Likes

I agree with you and have these two most valuable devices. However, on purchasing the Spitfire, I bypass the yoke and use a joystick as a yoke with this a/c just isn’t right!

1 Like

I keep my Saitek X-52 around for just occasions. :sunglasses:

Though i would not want to change or swap this

For anything else in the world.

3 Likes

Not very well suited for helicopters though. :smirk:

Topic moved to #self-service:peripherals

1 Like

I totally agree about the Honeycomb gear I love mine but also keep the X52 for extra buttons. They do a good job with helicopters when I use them.

1 Like

HC Alpha & Bravo with a Logitech radio panel and SPAD.neXt have been a tremendously flexible platform to fly multiple styles of planes from any dev.

Tbh I prefer a stick set up. Thrustmaster HOTAS and Virpil Constelation Alpha is what I went for. The stick is so smooth. It is like cutting butter with a knife. Absolutely the best controller I have ever bought. Thrustmaster HOTAS takes a bit of bedding in. The throttle is nice, but some of the switches still feel very heavy and cumbersome. The ones I use frequently have slackened off, so I don’t expect the rest to stay stiff.

It isn’t anywhere near what some have done here, but I am more than happy with it. I very much doubt I will ever add to it

My final version of the ipad set up here. I have an old kindle for a second screen for when I start adding extra dials. That is radio etc.

1 Like

I still have it, too. It’s a must for DCS where I need a HOTAS setup.

hi, can you share the blueprints/ details ? I am interested in building a similar throttle.
Thanks.

1 Like

I would if i had but i build as im on the go, i use Leo Bodnar Boards, and use 10k potentiometer for the levers and knobsters, and some toggle switches .
As for the materials i also use/recycle old wood where i can find it, my motto is if it is expensive don’t buy or use it.

As for the yoke i used and old logitech wingman racewheel ffb and jammed my defect CH yoke in it it uses usb and has to do only turn right and left and provide slight backpressure through its ffb motor and selfcenters, put it on a stick, now this stick is for up and down movement, slammed a bord in the bottom so it is hovering and has springs atttached to it. To record the movement i put a 10 k potentiometer near it and connect it with some aluminium strips. Nothing is soldert but connected through cableshoe like u find to connect car amplefier in the right size.

So that is basically it

1 Like

For me there were 2 game changers.

The first was the step up from Thrustmaster/Logitech to Virpil.

The difference in quality and ergonomics, indeed every aspect of the experience is literally night and day.

The second was actual rudder pedals.

1 Like

Thanks, I have watched a few tutorials on youtube - I believe I can build something using arduino.

Here’s my current setup

Modest, but quite functional.

Third monitor to come when I have more room.

:+1:This is a very nice setup i like the woodstyle seat
And yes if handy with arduino, i would suggest that you look into cogwheels and motorized design with some cogwheels to make a full working autopilot its cool to see the levers change position while change speedsettings.

1 Like

…No screens, no keyboard. The antique RAF Navigation Manual is a temporary mouse mat - that’s pretty crucial. Doesn’t stop me getting lost though :sweat_smile:

In VR, it is useful if you can position the controls about where they appear to be. I have resorted to wooden blocks …

1 Like

Getting lost is the best way of sightseeing

1 Like

I agree, I also have a joystick for the fighters. Just wanted to make the point to anyone reading this point that the Honeycomb products give you be the most flexiblity short of fighter aircraft. Thanks for making that point. Now I’m dealing with world update six. Geez@!

1 Like

Setup for fighter and GA