You're gonna lose Bing maps

Bing send me email: Dear Bing Maps for Enterprise customer,

On May 21, 2024, we shared our vision for a single enterprise mapping platform at Microsoft and that we are unifying our Bing Maps for Enterprise offering under Azure Maps. This means that going forward, Azure Maps will combine the best of Bing Maps for Enterprise and Azure Maps. Today we are announcing that as part of these unification efforts, Bing Maps for Enterprise will be retired. The ability to purchase Bing Maps for Enterprise SKUs and the availability of the Bing Maps for Enterprise services will end according to the following timeline:

• Customers using Bing Maps for Enterprise Basic or Free license will no longer be able to use Bing Maps for Enterprise services beyond June 30, 2025.

(a) Basic / Free Licenses customers who would like to continue using enterprise maps from Microsoft are encouraged to move to Azure Maps before June 30, 2025.

(b) Existing Basic / Free Licenses customers who would like to continue using Bing Maps for Enterprise until the service end date of June 30, 2028, can upgrade to a paid Enterprise License by contacting maplicq@microsoft.com before June 30, 2025.

• Bing Maps for Enterprise services will retire, and support will end on June 30, 2028, and customers will no longer be able to use any of the Bing Maps for Enterprise services.

Not sure what bearing this has on the flight simulator. This is for those customers who wish to use Azure mapping API’s for their own purpose i.e. external customers, not Microsoft themselves within one of their own products.

If you look at the details via the link below you will see there are many functions available, and I would guess the only ones the sim needs are the base map, and imagery tiles.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/azure-maps/

6 Likes

Whilst I will try to get further clarification on this, there is no indication at this time that this will have any impact on Bing Maps for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Thanks
The MSFS Team

6 Likes

Even if it does. It says you just need to switch your account over to azure maps. OP left that part out. Which I,m pretty sure they would do if it affected them.

1 Like

What OP posted tells me that you’ll need a paid license as of June 25, 2025.
Once Bing Maps is retired in 2028, those who purchased a license in 2025 will get a free license upgrade.

1 Like

and after 2028 is over?

AI will be generating a whole new world.

It doesn’t change anything for us, we are not Bing Enterprise customers. The subject has nothing to do with MSFS or the Maps itself (Bing Maps, Microsoft Maps etc), it’s related (only) to Enterprise customers.

Also, they are basically changing names and (maybe) some terms of the service. The Enterprise customers (again, not US) won’t “lose Bing Maps”.

3 Likes

Yes, I know.

Since the Bing maps are loose, I’m going to tighten them.

4 Likes

Mod Edit: Title corrected for misspelling but not capitalization, optimizing chances to appear in future content searches. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’m neither losing Bing Maps as a consumer or Bing Maps integration with MSFS, so… I’m not “gonna lose Bing maps” as it happens.

Aren’t there some 3rd party add-ons that require a Bing Maps API key? IIR, it was a long string of letters and numbers.

I remember needing a Bing API key. Maybe LittleNavMap? Or NeoFly?

1 Like

Definitely NeoFly. I contacted them this AM about it and they are aware and looking into it.

It’s sound like it is just a rollover to Azure Maps as the alternative, but I haven’t taken the time to investigate how they differ.