Zen 3 refresh. Any thoughts?

It has been announced that there will be a face-lift for the Ryzen coming in Q1 of next year and although details and timings are a little sketchy, I wonder if anyone has observations regarding this and MSFS. Of course, Alder Lake is going to be here in the next few days and that event will obviously impact any AMD plans, so it looks like another few months of intrigue and mystery awaits us.

There is some very sketchy reports on Alder lake right now about 330w power draws. I really hope this turns out to be false. We really need competition for AMD right now.
There has been no set date for Zen 3 - V cache as yet. Q1 2022 is the early estimates. How Alder lake performs may change that with a good Alder lake bringing V cache forward, where as a bad turn out may make AMD push it back.

The Zen 3+ in Q1 2022 is rumored to be on the new 6nm nodes from TSMC, and with the V-Cache significantly increasing the L3 cache. If the rumored +15-20% performance increase from V-Cache alone holds up, along with modest IPC improvement on Zen 3+, it could be a decent competitor to Alder Lake. Zen 4 will compete with Raptor Lake, the Alder Lake successor.

All the leaked benchmarks for Alder Lake seem to point to performance at or slightly ahead of Zen 3, especially on single-threaded performance. One benchmark I saw showed the 12900k with a 25% single-thread performance advantage over the 5950x, but still falls by 11% in multithreaded performance. If true, these are some impressive IPC gains from Intel.

We’ll see what the benchmarks show for Zen 3+. If a significant performance improvement, it might be a worthy upgrade as it will be the last Ryzen release for socket AM4 before moving to AM5. If you’re interested in Zen 4, you will be forced into a significant upgrade to replace the motherboard and install new DDR5 modules.