Zen 4 X3D chips enroute

It’s official, though surprising they are coming so early in the Zen 4 lifespan, to me at least.

Gamers Nexus roundup:

I have no plans to throw my 5800X3D in the trash but at least I have a future upgrade path to Zen 4 as and when I find that oil field in my garden.

Great to see they have expanded the range!

4 Likes

It would also require a new mainboard since the new chips are AM5 socket.

One of the benefits of their stacked 3D cache approach is that they can easily add it “on top” of an existing Ryzen chip with minor changes.

Until Intel releases a competitor to this, these will be the CPU to buy for msfs PC pilots.

Doesnt matter if it’s a 5800x3d, or the 7xxxX3d series, they all outperform similar Intel chips in their price range by a massive margin.

Buying anything else would be a mistake. The gains the massive L3 cache these amd X3d chips have absolutely destroys the competition. I mean the 5800x3d with a 4090 @ 1080p was hitting 170-210 fps on msfs.

Imagine what the 7xxxX3d chips will hit. VR if you have it will be something very, very special.

Will 7900X3D and 7950X3D outperform 7800X3D for MSFS per se?

That is the question.

Yes, that is the question I am looking for an answer to as well. We are going to have to wait a bit though since AMD look like they want to sell us the more expensive Cpus first and then later in April we’ll get the cheaper (more popular?) 7800x3d. It will be interesting to see if supply is restricted as well and what the actual prices will be. Nevermind, I can wait :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, clock speeds and cache are up from the 5800x3d but will these new cpus deliver the massive improvements which the 5800x3d gave us in MSFS 2020? I guess we’ll have a better idea in late Feb and April (7800x3d).

I’m doing a new PC build this year and have decided to go the (currently very expensive) AM5, DDR 5, X670 MB, Atx3 PSU route so I am interested in the answers as much as anyone. The main reason for the AM5 route btw is MB support to 2025 at least and the ability to drop in better Cpus during this period. Can’t be doing with changing the MB every couple of years.

Yes.
I suspect the reason they are delaying 7800X3D is precisely the relative gaming performance.
It’s a smart business decision, as the delay will have a positive impact on their margins.
Early adopters will flock towards the higher end chips.

I am going through a similar selection process.
I would have liked to see high end X670 boards with more PCIe slots. After comparing with B650 it appears the choice is not as obvious as I initially perceived it to be. I’m leaning towards an Asrock Livemixer B650, the colors are a bit saucy for my taste, but purely features wise, it’s solid.
Also there is talk of a future add in card with a second B650 chipset to be sold separately, to turn it into a X670 of sorts, down the line, if needed.

1 Like

Yes, interesting times with all this new (and very expensive) stuff coming out.

I have lots of fun decisions to make before I decide on the AM5 cpu, atx 3 PSU and AM5 motherboard.

Thankfully, I am getting really outstanding performance at the moment (until the next SU anyway) in FS20 on my base 2017 system with, believe it or not, an intel 7600k cpu (oc to 4.6) and a mere 2070S gpu so it’s okay for my build to take about 6 months.

2 Likes

Reviews for the new X3D chips will hit the road on Feb 27th. Early leaks seem to confirm higher core counts will not necessarily translate into better gaming performance.

1 Like

Interesting, 8 cores is still the mainstay for now, though this could change as DX12 matures. Can’t wait for the reviews for these. It will likely be the 7950x3D will be the best of both worlds in terms of gaming and productivity, aswell as streamers with 50 million programs open… time will tell.