Zenith 701 (Sky Jeep) from SimWorks Studios released

I found the anything more than flaps 1 is not very useful unless you are trying to land on a cliff! Flaps 3 pushes the nose down so hard you end up gaining air speed quickly then blow the flaps out.

One basically has to compensate dropping a notch of flaps with pulling back the stick, which makes visibility worse during landing. What Iā€™m really wondering is, if the real plane is like this?

http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/701-ms.html

Have a little scroll down and it talks about the characteristics of flying with flaps. (This is from Zenith themselves)

Heres a little quote about full flaps:

" When commencing with Full Flap, repeat the above steps. You will also notice the very much steeper descent and lower nose attitude ā€“ which is how STOL works. Steep in ā€“ steep out. It can be a bit disconcerting and many pilots try to hold the nose of the aircraft at the ā€œcomfort zoneā€ attitude and therefore lose airspeed and therefore elevator authority in the final stages of approach and as a result may wheelbarrow the aircraft on.
Remember the cardinal rule with STOL ā€“ ā€œAnticipate and Practice!ā€ "

It seems like SWS have done a pretty good job bringing it into fs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I took Zenith for a spin. The website stated that the nose attitude should be lower with more flaps, however when flying it in the sim it is the opposite ā€“ The descent is steeper, but nose attitude is higher.

No worries at all mate :slight_smile:
I havenā€™t flown her in sim for a little while, so maybe it has changed but if memory serves it used to drop the nose. Iā€™ll have to take her out of the ā€˜hangarā€™ again! Been so busy enjoying other AC I have forgotten to give it some love!

Here, tried to illustrate the behaviour of the plane (if I understood the text correctly), and the behaviour I observe in the game. It is true that it drops the nose, however one needs to pull the nose back up in order to keep the speed constant.

1 Like

From watching a lot of videos it seems right. What youā€™re saying and also what theyā€™re saying. The angle of attack can become very high.
See this short video, he keeps having to pull the nose up a fair amount along the way.
https://youtu.be/V81uIvDcfeQ

Maybe its a little exagerated in the sim, maybe notā€¦
Maybe its part of the camera angles or mounting positions and also maybe partly the lens on GoPros. But overall the general chacteristics in sim seem similar to a bunch of videos Ive watched trying to figure out how to best fly this bird.

Nice video, thanks!

1 Like

No worries mate :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll need to practice with it more.

What I found was at full flaps you bleed airspeed so much trying to maintain a high AoA that even at full power it will stall.

And if the nose drops it seems to pick up speed way too quickly, and easily blows the flaps out.

Since the last update I have a strange problem with the liveries. They are somewhat blurry, transparent and other liveries shine through. I have reinstalled via orbx direct several times but nothing helped. I have no further mods or liveries installed for this plane. Does anyone have the same problem?

1 Like

I just got this a week ago, and Iā€™ve struggled to get it to fly well, then last night I went into the aircraft setup and the balance is far forward of the fore limit and no matter what I do with pilot weight or fuel it wonā€™t go into balance. What am I missing?

I was so excited when I saw this in the marketplace, years ago I had plans to build one - got plans, built the tail piece (starter kit), then kids and that project has been stalled ever since. Now I can fly it virtual.

After receiving a copy from a customer, I noticed that the ORBX direct version seems to be missing some textures. New file sent to ORBX, logically it should come next week.

Regarding the W&B, there was a miscalculation in the MSFS FM which didnā€™t take the reference datum into account for the UI, but works right in-flight. The CG calculations were changed on SU4 so we are taking another look to see what effects they have.

3 Likes

Has this plane been updated and if so, how do we update it? Has anybody flown this since SU5? Bought mine from Sim Market and I donā€™t show any updates since January.

Thereā€™s been a few updates since Jan Version History - Zenith CH701 STOL - SimWorks Studios maybe email them and ask about the Sim Market version? The one I bought direct from them works fine for me.

Canā€™t confirm. Iā€™ve been flying this little Zenith for a few weeks now, near daily. Iā€™ve seen no issues with it, I like it because of its short landing. I like to land my planes anywhere :grin:

on the Zandvoort circuit :sunglasses: you can land a CJ4 there of course, but this little one can do much shorter approachesā€¦ havenā€™t tried yet, but it would not surprise me a roof landing can be done with itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m having trouble with the flaps on my 701, I canā€™t deploy any flaps over 55 knots and then they automatically retract themselves at around 55 knotsā€¦
This problem is making the aircraft difficult and unpredictableā€¦.
Iā€™m on XBoxā€¦. Current marketplace versionā€¦.

I havenā€™t flown this in ages, but I found that full flaps were all but useless unless the runway, or surface you were landing on was very steep. The first stage of flaps is normally enough.

Thatā€™s the problem Iā€™m having there are times that I need that one notch of flaps but they wonā€™t deployā€¦.

If they wonā€™t deploy you have blown them out, and they are damaged. I thought they ā€œfixedā€ that with a later update.