[1.27.11.0] - REGRESSION - Popout panel performance fixed in 1.27.9.0 is now broken again

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

There’s been a long standing issue with popout instruments causing large fps losses. The last release of SU10 Beta fixed this. Both DX11 and DX12 saw zero performance loss with popouts. WIth 1.27.11.0, the full performance loss under DX11(up to 50%) is back, and it’s now also affecting DX12 as well. In the old DX12 Beta (SU9 and prior), there was no performance loss with popouts under DX12. This is a huge regression.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Pop out panels from the virtual cockpit, watch frame rates plummet.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 5950X, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Are you using DX12?

As described, the biggest regression is with DX11 that has returned to its pre-SU10 state. DX12 now takes a 10 fps performance hit on my system that it didn’t in the last beta.

EDIT: With all the same settings, I’m back to being main thread limited with popouts. In 1.27.9.0, I was seeing main thread timings in the 15-20 ms range. I’m back to seeing them close to 30ms now with or without popouts.

Are you using DLSS?

Yes, but the result is the same with or without DLSS enabled.

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes.

I’m also seeing a noticeable performance loss when popping out UI panels, like the camera menu, VFR Map and so on. I don’t remember experiencing that before…

Are you using DX12?

No, DX11.

Are you using DLSS?

No, TAA/TAAU.

Same issues as OP describes

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

Yes, same issue

Are you using DX12?

No

Are you using DLSS?

No

Yes

Are you using DX12?

Yes

Are you using DLSS?

No

I asked about this in the Q&A today and Jayne asked the team. The answer was pretty vague, but they did say they were aware and performance issues overall are the reason SU10 is being delayed.

Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing or how highly this specific issue is being prioritized, but it seems they’re aware of this regression at least.

1 Like

Wow. This has now been tagged #bug-logged instead of feedback logged.

Thank you @Jummivana. I can’t even express how happy I am that this is finally being looked into. After the incredible performance in the original SU10 beta, it made many of us incredibly happy. And it was heartbreaking that 1 week later it was torn away from us. Really hope this nasty issue can finally be put to bed once and for all.

And to be clear, this is still an issue in 1.27.18/19.0.

If I make a pop out in DX12, the sim immediately CTD’s. I did make a post about this but I think it just got lost in the mire….

Considering that DX12 isn’t really a thing in the sim yet (due to the memory issues, it was reverted to what it was prior to DX12), it’s understandable you can have issues. I can’t even run DX12 at all currently, even though it was great for me in the initial beta 1.27.9.0, texture and other glitches aside.

What’s disappointing for those of us using this feature is that it was working under DX11 with 1.27.9.0 and was broken again a week later with 1.27.11.0. And it’s just now 6 weeks later that this is being finally recorded as a legit bug.

1 Like

I can’t even begin to express how gutted I am that this hasn’t been fixed in SU10 considering it had been in 1.27.09.0 and then taken away from us.

We already know it CAN be fixed in DX11. And it used to work in DX12 prior to SU10 Beta for those who were able to use DX12. And I guess the expectation was that since it finally got “bug-logged” status, it would finally be fixed once and for all.

Now with the final SU10 beta, it’s worse than ever in DX11 (a bigger performance hit), and makes DX12 completely unusable.

That first beta left us with such high hopes. And now they’ve been dashed again.

All we want is to be able to use a key feature of the sim that we really need but has been broken since launch 2 years ago, and is still broken today.

1 Like

Hi @Crunchmeister71 ,

I was wondering what do you mean by popover ? Like other apps that are open while flying ? Such as Volanta, AIG etc. ? If I know exactly, I can also do a test and contribute to this thread.
Best regards,
Sam

I mean undocking glass cockpit instruments to move to another screen.

For example, the G1000 screens. Use Right Alt + click on a G1000 screen to undock it, then move that window to another screen.

Although appreciated, there’s not much to test. This beta is over now.

1 Like

Ah fair enough, understood. Thanks for explanation !

Moved to #bugs-and-issues:performance.

No update on this?

Every sim update, we get hopeful this might finally get fixed. And every sim update, we’re once again disappointed. I’m sure we’ll be hopeful for SU12 in March, and then disappointed again. Probably the next sim update(s) as well.

1 Like