10-15 knots crosswind and the C172 is grounded?

Right, I was clarifying some posts near the top of the thread that were saying max demo crosswind was 11kts. But the rest of the context spells out my personal limits.

1 Like

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve figured out the dynamic transition between surface and air ops. Iā€™m going to hazard a guess that a lot of the initial production was done in silos - hereā€™s this brand new aerodynamic system, hereā€™s this revolutionary weather system, hereā€™s this (etc). But weā€™re all finding out that there are issues with certain interfaces in which correction would require either a completely new silo (like ground dynamics) and reconciling the interface at which they meet, rolling back the conflicting silo (like theyā€™ve done with weather), or using (hopefully temporary) workarounds like the wheel friction values.

2 Likes

Your question is entirely legitimate.

Asobo have admitted that ground physics/handling is wrong. They are working on an overall solution (no further details), but in the interim they have introduced 4 values that can be used to either control the amount of lateral friction a tire will exert or the ground speeds at which no or full crosswind effect will be felt (sort of like an assist).

But there have to be applied in the aircraft flight model and we know that for 90% of stock aircraft and many 3rd party aircraft have not had these values applied

That includes the stock C172 G1000. So yeah, it will weathervane in 0.5knts of crosswind on its frictionless tiresā€¦

2 Likes

thats why i bought the wb sim and i like the mod

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and I understand about the values. You are quite correct. What I do not get is why after nearly 3 years do ā€˜weā€™ have to add and tweak these values to all of the FMs? Even then, these values only really make the problem manageable. They do not eliminate or fix the core issues in the FMs which is the overall physics and aero dynamics, flight control relations, etc.

Is it the end of the flight sim world, obviously not. Will I continue to play it, obviously so. But that does not change the fact that the stock 172 (and nearly all other stock FMs) are doo doo.

The WB 172 is a great mod (wish it came in a G1000 version). However even it still suffers from the ground handling issues although WB has done a tremendous job of (nearly) overcoming them.

The underlaying ? is, why canā€™t Asobo do the same or even better with the stock aircraft?

1 Like

Well, I agree with you. The present ā€˜solutionā€™ requires each aircraft Dev to go in and make the changes. Some have, most havenā€™t. (In some cases it might not be necessary - the PMDG 737 has always seemed to handle well on the ground, for example).

Absent the Dev doing something, if you are on PC and the aircraft you fly has an unencrypted flight model file and you have the skill and patience to mod your personal aircraft, then yes that can fix it on a individual level. But clearly that is not really any solution at all for the vast majority of users who remain dependent on the Devs taking action.

Iā€™m not really sighted on the more global solution Asobo is working on. Better modelling of the surface area contact friction I understand. It was described as ā€˜work in progressā€™ at the last Dev Q&A.

The WB has applied some of the values, although maybe a bit low I thought. The solution is further complicated by the fact that the 2 sets of values seems to offer different routes to achieving the same outcome.

A starting point would be a set of measurable standards for ground handling - what is realistic. What is not?

Related post: Joining efforts about the ground handling / weathervaning issue

Related reports: