Cessna 172 steering on ground impossible

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No mod, No addon

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

Cessna-172-Skyhawk

Brief description of the issue:

The Cessna 172 turns by itself into the wind even when it stopped. The nose of the plane goes into the wind, it is impossible to steer the plane, so impossible to go to the runway. The problem is present even at very low speed and even when stopped, in moderate wind. No problem with the C152 at same conditions.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Use the plane with wind activated (light or moderate wind)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

XBOX

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

I’m on PC. Next to no steering at all, it’s the only aircraft in my entire collection that has this problem - with or without community mods

N/A

Hello,

For those experiencing this issue can you describe what your wind and weather conditions were to help us reproduce this scenario?

Thank you

To reproduce the issue, create a new flight with more than 15 knots of wind and try to do an 8 on the runway.
At 15 knots it’s still possible but the 8 will be large,
At 20 knots, you can almost no longer turn.
At 30 knots it is impossible to turn.

If you try the same thing with the C152, the plane turns very easily in all cases.

I know this is not flight conditions, it’s just to show the problem on the ground only.

3 Likes

Yes

Even minor winds make it hard to turn, 7-8 Kts. The effect can be reduced by around 20%, so that the wheels on asphalt have more grip.

Yes

Live weather with 15 knots wind and steering from position to taxiway not possible.

1 Like

Yes - it may only be the G1000 variant - not sure

The C172 G1000 seems to have a very limited turning radius of 8 degrees and it doesnt take much wind to make it impossible to steer. Live weather seems to be more difficult than preset weather for some reason.
To reproduce, spend some time flying in and out of NZWN Wellington New Zealand. I often find steering difficult there due to its windy conditions. But the point is that winds may be 12 knts or so and steering will still be impossible. Why is that plane so hard to steer?

n/a

Does anyone know if the problem is fixed in the SU14 beta?

Just a thought, could it be the 152 is broken and handles too well?

Only mention as maximum cross wind for take off in a 172 is 15kts

The maximum crosswind to take off is 15kts.
But you can takeoff with a headwind of 20kts.
So the plane have to steer correctly to the runway with a wind of 20kts for exemple.

The defaut C172 can’t do that.
The C152 is correct.

The toe brakes don’t work correctly either the last time I tried. If I remember the left brake worked as expected but the right brake activated both brakes or something like that.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, the 172 g1000 or the basic/steam?

I fly the steam a lot and it’s a bear at times but eventually with towbrake manageable?

I’ve flow and landed a C172 in a 40 knot crosswind, and lived to tell you about it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks to you, we can modify the POH.
Maximal crosswind is now : 40kts.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I fly the steam version a lot too. Sometimes, in live weather, I can’t even get to the runway, no turns possible, with or without toe brakes.

1 Like

Just to set the record straight – 40 Knot Crosswind – I was TOTALLY Kidding – NOT IN RL.

Maybe goofing about in the sim

It was a lame dig at those that post on the forum, and do not distinguish what they are saying in SIM" or “RL” !!

The POH list the the Maximum Demonstrated Crosswind… very often a Pilots Personal Maximum is considerably lower –

ie Go land at another airport, with a more favorable runway !!

That being said, I 100% agree, taxiing SOME planes in the Sim is far more challenging than in RL.

NOTE: The C172SP Classic taxing far better in the Sim, than the C172 A1000.

One major difference, is that the C172 A1000 got updated this year with all the new fancy airflow modelling !!

the C172SP Classic seldom gets any updates, - Even though it is a costly “Premium” Plane !

Maybe I should not complain it has not been updated to be as difficult to Taxi as the A1000 version !

1 Like

I have some updates and I don’t want them to be missed so Im quoting myself and adding on to the thread.

First - toe brakes do seem to work now. Either I was wrong or they’ve been fixed. It is possible to steer the C172 G1000 in a 12 knot wind. On console, I have rewritten my controls but it works to have right trigger tied to right rudder (and left to left as default) but then add “Right trigger plus right D-pad” to operate the right toe brake (and left for left).

Second - I have had this plane pivot itself into the wind with engine off and parking brake released even with winds less than 20 knots. It happened at an addon airport (I think its FA54 near that giant circle in Florida not far from Naples FL) so maybe it was the ground and not the plane but if so – dry pavement shouldnt do that.

1 Like

Nothing in the release notes at that point, so not fixed (Beta is going so they can always add fixes/improvements until the final release):
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-14-beta-release-notes-1-35-13-0-october-30-2023/613872?u=dementedcorn327

1 Like

On the other hand the demonstrated xwind limit means that the airplane can be most likely flown in considerable higher wind conditions.

Demonstrated only means that this was the highest wind speed encountered during certification.

Taxing in a 30kts xwind with a 152 or 172 presents zero difficulties IRL.

If a pilot can’t handle 15kts he should seriously think about stopping to fly!!!

2 Likes

Except if it’s MSFS, because it’ way too unrealistic and difficult compared to RL.
Never understood why Asobo/MS made the sim more difficult to fly than RL airplanes.

1 Like