10 minutes video (by Pilot Studd) showing the visual quality degradation | Comparison SU4 to SU5

I dont know if that has been posted here already, but in this video you can actually see how bad the visual quality now has become due to “performance improvement”. I’d personally prefer quality over high fps but i understand that there are people with less capable hardware that are thankful they can play the game with a better performance now. I’d just wish you could achieve the same kind of quality with some (OPTIONAL) settings, like make ultra look like ultra looked back in SU4 and make those new “improvements” apply to medium/high settings only and actually let us max out the game, so people who want to increase their fps can do that and people that prefer looks can do that too.

especially look at lightning, shadowing and the trees + tesselation

40 Likes

Those video clearly show the degradation. I’m with you. Needs to be an option to go back to changing the settings. I wasn’t ever bothered with FPS. Around 30 on avg was just fine with me.

22 Likes

The lack of shadows in SU5 and therefore depth of field is the big one. I’m assuming he used the same weather and lighting when comparing the two?

5 Likes

I wonder how this update passed any sort of quality control.

21 Likes

Sorry but I’m not sure what you are seeing there.
I’m not sure this video is suitable to make comparisions concerning changes in quality between SU4 and SU5. First of all the weather conditions aren’t always completely the same. At the London City take-off there’s sunshine peeking through onto the airport in SU5 and in SU4 the sunshine is in shadows. In the flight over Canary Wharf I can see photogrammetry in SU4 and in SU5 there are more 3D models.
And the landing in Sydney seems to have less haze in SU5 than SU4.
I agree that in the Paris take off with the Dreamliner the shadows on the buildings are definitely less harsh. However I don’t see that as a problem.
On the contrary I always had the impression myself that some of the shadows in the game were overdone and to harsh. Often it looked to me like a picture a photo sensor in a DSLR would display it. And they neither have the dynamic range nor the ability to constantly adapt to changes in light sources and shadows - which the human eye does. And those two things are extremely difficult to mimick on a computer monitor. So I personally welcome the change.

22 Likes

he clearly didn’t

6 Likes

Even at relatively low altitudes, the ground textures look disgusting right now. Recorded at Ultra settings except for disabled Motion Blur and Bloom :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

I think you might be conflating photogrammetry, with the Bing image data, or textures?

If you are showing the textures being blurry here, then that’s not photogrammetry.

1 Like

I agree, I renamed the video. Not quite correctly put it. It was the quality of the textures after the patch that was meant.

1 Like

imagen

This is a disgrace

20 Likes

I’m actually shocked by this

1.17.3.0 v 1.18.13.0

1.18.13.0 v 1.18.14.0

3 Likes

I’m going to bet you £20 he didn’t check the grapahics settings and they were changed int he update process which is what’s happened to many people. And what is this rubbish about “it appears the photogrammetry didn’t get loaded” for London. What? That just tells me he’s not completed the updates to the world updates properly. And he’s not using the same weather/lighting time of day etc. And who knows what other settings

And of course he was only comparing FPS - it is others who are trying to use this to show visual degredation. To do compare that you actually need a like for like comparison. This is worthless for that

19 Likes

You’r right, that so-called comparison of visuals is a disgrace. Different settings, weather the whole thing. Completely meaningless

10 Likes

Do you have a “before” video showing it looking better? I’ve seen it look awful like that when you zoom in all the way since alpha.

1 Like

Clearly not if you watch the video

3 Likes

Correct - zooming doesn’t add more detail, it just shows the same detail bigger so you see the flaws of distant drawn items more clearly - which is meaningless. There is a wishlist for a proper “zoom capability” that actually adds more detail when you zoom.

I’m seeing no issues with ground textures or details from 25000 feet (see screenshot of NY above)

In the video description it mentions that the settings are the same.

I have compared screenshots taken by me at the same location, date, time, weather (real time weather off) and graphics and the differences in shadows, lighting and LOD are obvious.

2 Likes

Sure. See my videos above. And the settings clearly aren’t the same given the weather differences.

Why don’t you share your screenshots so we can all see?

Did you read the top comment that the video author placed by the way that is immediately after the comment about the settings?? You seem to have conveniently neglected to mention that, so here it is in full:

The video author even says “you can take it from me the quality has remained the same” and “I wouldn’t say you should use this to compare scenery”

Which is exactly what you and @dumpsterfire248 are doing - very very disingenuous of you

Here’s my version by the way, and if this is “downgraded” I’m pretty happy with that. HD version being processed now:

6 Likes

well i am glad that youre happy with sim update 5. youre right and the other 324982 people who opened threads and wrote open letters and started petitions are wrong, got it. just dont read posts like these if you dont like it

4 Likes