100% GPU Load even during Update

I found a very simple workaround; right-click the title bar for MSFS. In the screenshot below, I marked when I right-clicked. Notice that GPU drops to nearly nil while CPU drops to expected levels and the download continues at the same speed. Won’t work too well if you still want to use your PC, but decent enough workaround to get through a night of downloading. Users have reported for over year now how inefficient the menu is in MSFS. It seems there is no frame limit whatsoever and while sitting at even a static part of the menu, CPU and GPU will max out. Maybe this will help the Devs fix it.

4 Likes

Sadly, my workaround is only effective per update file meaning, the update stops after the current fspackage.xxx finishes downloading. You then have to clear the right-click menu to continue. I suppose this behavior could still be useful with an AutoHotkey script.

Additionally, to those who have persistently claimed that CPU/GPU were being utilized to decompress the files, that’s clearly not the case since all the files are being processed after they’ve all finished downloading; a further insult to injury.

This is great! Thank you. Tried all the suggestions in the thread but this works best. Seems though the window is “paused” during this right click but when clicking elsewhere the downloaded amount does update to where it should be.

Also this works when downloading and updating through marketplace. My RTX3090 is mining when I’m not flying (pays for the sim goodies ya know :slight_smile: ) and installing these world updates are taking forever. Now back at max hah rate whilst FS is downloading.

Will monitor this in the Marketplace downloads.

Hi all,
I have moved the votes from this into the main topic for this issue. (See the next post.)
Unfortunately, with 500 comments on the other topic, it gets difficult to merge the comments into the other topic. I see some talking about workarounds in this topic. Please feel free to repost those in the other topic if you think it would help other users. Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lower Resources in the Menu, Downloading, and Minimized. FPS cap?

5 votes have been moved. 4 votes could not be moved because their users already voted in the other topic.