100% GPU Load even during Update

Anyone else observing an extremely high GPU usage (near 100% - my coolers went berserk!) even - or more precisely: especially - during an update?

At that point all I see is the update progress bar (which is progressing) and a static background image. So why the GPU is under such a high load is beyond me, see attached screenshot.

Once I noticed this I made sure that no other foreground application was running (so closed e.g. all browser instances etc.). And the task manager clearly indicates that the GPU load is coming from the FS2020 process, see attached screenshot.

This is the first time that I have observed this, but possibly this happened also during earlier updates.

I have now stopped the update and will re-launch FS 2020 shortly (which hopefully will pick up the update where it left off).

This is normal behavior. At Main Menu when the game is running, GPU load is extensive. It’s all related to the rendering of the background images.

Okay, this is ridiculous: even before I select anything (before the update actually starts, that is) the GPU usage of FS 2020 goes up to near 100%.

What is FS 2020 doing here? Mining bitcoins while we download the update? :wink:

Here are some specs:

• Windows 10 2004
  • iMac 27" 2017, i7, 32 GB RAM (before you ask: Windows 10 is running from an external SSD)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 580 GPU, 8 GB VRAM
1 Like

Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense: even when I fly around I don’t have such a high (constant!) GPU usage, and the ventilators (coolers) kick in, but not as intense as just witnessed here (otherwise I wouldn’t even have noticed).

And “rendering of background image”: are you serious? We are talking about a static screenshot here, right?

Again, this is not the “hangar scene”, this is the screen which let’s me choose the package folder, shows me the update progress bar going up (pixel by pixel)… please don’t tell me that you’d expect to render a static image with some blurry dialog in the foreground to take up 100% GPU.

2 Likes

It’s not doing anything. It’s just wasting electricity and putting wear on your GPU.

2 Likes

This has come up before

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/gpu-load-while-in-menu-and-pause/323523

1 Like

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Can we get back to the real issue and at least discuss whether others are observing the same high GPU load during to startup screen (update process)?

And I am not talking about the “game menu” (with an animated “hangar backgound”), I am really referring to the startup screen showing a static screenshot of some flight simulator scene (at least that’s what it appears to be - nothing animated, and why on earth would you render a static image repeatedly using the GPU).

2 Likes

You got an obvious answer because you’re totally oblivious. Spend two seconds searching the forum.

1 Like

Because the UI is badly optimized. This has been reported since before release.

So why don’t you enlighten us and post a link to the forum where you think that the same GPU topic is being discussed?

In case you are referring to:

100% GPU load : main menu : because background hangar rendering

What do you think why I called my title including the word “even” (as in “not just the hangar scene (which is animated, which justifies the use of the GPU), but even the startup screen with a static image”)?

Again, I am not talking about the “game menu” (with the animated hangar in the background - that one is rendered by the GPU, yes, as in “GPU justified to be in use”).

I am really talking about the update / startup screen which I cannot imagine why the GPU would be required to render a static bitmap image!

And annoyingly the GPU usage stays up at 100% even if I minimise that “update / startup window”. So that is clearly a bug.

1 Like

Where? Mind to post a link at least?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?expanded=true&q=GPU%20Load%20on%20pause

This is all the same issue. The game simply redraws the window as fast as it possibly can. If there’s no work for the CPU to do, or any complex geometry, then the GPU gets slammed with hundreds of unnecessary draw calls.

And…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?expanded=true&q=menu%20gpu

Happens on any simple menu or static screen.

Thank you.

And sorry for my tone. I really thought you were trolling me with comments like “it’s just waisting your GPU”.

It is just the first time that I noticed this (usually I grab a coffee and walk away from the update screen).

Sorry again about my tone!

1 Like

My bluntness is directed at the developers, and Microsoft who no doubt railroaded the developers into shipping this thing way too early.

1 Like

I might have found a possible workaround for the high GPU load during to update (launch) screen:

As I wrote earlier minimising the window (that is, clicking on the “-” button in the window title bar, top right) does not seem to reduce the GPU usage at all (the application should detect that it is not visible on the screen and should hence stop updating / rendering its window content completely).

BUT: resizing the window until it becomes as small as possible seems to reduce the problem to a 30% GPU usage. Still way too high, but at least the coolers are shutting down every then and when.

There is hope that this update (which is being downloaded) might fix this issue, but given the fact that it has been reported since ever makes it unlikely still (it is a “world update”, after all).

6 Likes

For nVidia cards, just set an FPS limit of 100 for FS2020 in nVidia Control Panel and it will stop this unnecessary GPU use in menus.

3 Likes

I found a work around on my GPU (AMD RX580 - control centre didn’t register the fps)
Using MSI afterburner and Rivatuner I set a 50fps cap, while I’m doing the update.
it was refreshing at 411fps.
This also appears to have increased the speed of the update, but that’s speculative.

1 Like

Thanks to the Author, resizing the window really helped a lot.
I came back after 3 months and my engine already started while downloading the update.
Unfortunately, radeon chill from the driver software did not help to cap my FPS.
98% gpu usage while installing an update (few hrs, ~120GB) and Devs dont care.

Its time to fix this *’%+% ! Will the devs wait until the first few graphic cards die while installing the game to fix this issue? It shouldnt be such a big problem to set an fps cap for the menu…

Thanks for the tip about resizing the window, my GPU usage went down from 66 to 40%.

What a stupid and outragous waste of energy. Enough computational power use to cure alzheimers in a week used to re-render a static background that I’m going to leave on for 12 hours while the game downloads 125GB… Really smart ASOBO/Microsoft. At least steal my computing resources for analysing people’s data to show them ads while the game downloads…

While fidgeting around with the resizing, I found that if you attempt, but do not, snap the window to half screen the GPU usage reduces to near 0%.

1 Like