100% reproducible CTD at specific coordinates for months [grammar.pggmod]

please… your location description make a quick-test unenesarry hard. Can you post the Coords and a screenshot with the VFR map enabled ? So we can easy and simple jump to the position.

In case we can realy reproduce that too, and that not with the error-message “grammar…” , then it might give the developers an intressting hint for that topic “The memory could not be read.” where we searched soooo long a reproducable situation. All what we know about these error is, that it not depends on a specific geolocation ( we tested that so often ).

I can confirm with a few flights under my belt now in this area that I no longer see any CTDs using the Beta SU10.

Woooohoooo!!!

Hello.
I have the same CTD since yersterday.
One flight from to UTTT to VIDP => CTD near VIDP.
Two flights from VIDP to LTFM => CTD after 1/2 hour when near LAHORE.
I think it’s near Pakistan ?
I am not in SU 10.
(Sorry for my English, I am french)

@AllanB2853 looks like SU10 will release on August 23. Maybe try again after the upgrade? The beta is working fine for me.

1 Like

I had this CTD today when flying the Fenix A320 from LDSP to EGKK. It happened near the coast of Engeland on the KUNAV 1G STAR near waypoint KKE64. I might try the flight again tomorrow and see if I get the same CTD.

I did another flight to different airports and was able to complete the flight succesfully.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: grammar.pggmod, version: 76.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x61977cfe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000003eace61
Faulting process ID: 0x4e1c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b53a6619b50b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: ?\C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\bf-pgg\PGG\grammar.pggmod
Report ID: 0425e9ea-995c-46a3-97b8-a5e4e89ed0dd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Found a location that produces a CTD every time (at least on my machine).

Community folder is empty with stock airplanes used.

I’m on SU10 beta.
Maybe someone can verify this happens on other people’s machines as well?

To reproduce: load in at waypoint DN301 (Coordinates: 45° 50’ 54.69" N 0° 41’ 1.30" W) → CTD on load.

CTDsDN301

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.27.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.30.30704.0, time stamp: 0x615a9215
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001616
Faulting process id: 0x1408
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b8760adc19ab
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: e00eb508-1e45-479f-b2d1-7715d7cc2c7e
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

In Process Monitor this file always shows up suspiciously close before CTDing: Official\OneStore\fs-base-cgl\CGL\031\vec331.cgl

I’ll try flying here tonight, then report back.

I’am not sure whether this is same reason… we have some topics, e.g. near Linz (LOWL), where only for some users the same location allways cause that error, but its not reproducable for others ( in contrast to grammar… error ).

Therefore I checked the coords and had no issue so far.

The old guesses are about the G1000, but not sure.

1 Like

Ah okay, so it is most likely a problem on my end. Will try cleaning the scenery indexes, etc further.
Thank you for your help and time. Much appreciated.

1 Like

If you use rolling cache, delete the cache then recreate it.

If it IS the cache - then this just adds to a pattern of bad error handling. MS / Asobo NEED to implement much, much better, and more resilient handling of errors, cache corruption, etc. If there is a problem with some data in the cache, reload it, report it, and don’t crash.

I’m going to got out on a limb here, and perhaps suggest it’s in part due to them being primarily a console developer. Maybe bad habits from working on a closed platform.

That said, I’ve not read about crashing issues with the Plague Tale games, so perhaps not.

Flight Sim has been a PC game for… 40 years, and they inherited the code base.

I did not have the chance to investigate further yet, but I always have the rolling cache turned off. So that should not be the cause.

yep, as mentioned… the VCRUNTIME140.dll ( which differs to the topics main issue ) was a bit more tricky. In the post which I linked , I also mentioned a user post which mentioned steps which helped him, but not sure about the other cases ( I also linked a second case ) and whether will be helpfull in your case.

So I tried deleting the scenery indexes, content.xml, empty community folder, deleted marketplace items and finally world updates (and ofc combinations of those things)…

And still got the same CTD as the same coordinates.

Currently reinstalling the sim -100 GB to go. Yay.

Edit after reinstall: I still get a ctd in the exact same spot with a fresh install with no extra content installed - I give up this was/is painful.

Yikes. Are you in the SU10 Beta test?

The final is expected in the next couple of weeks, so maybe it will improve things, worth a shot?

I flew this route with no crash.

I finally found a solution.

As the error pointed to VCRUNTIME140.dll I installed the latest versions of VC_redist.x86 and VC_redist.x64.
And voila no more CTD.

Feeling pretty stupid now as this is probably the most obvious thing to check first. Ah well maybe someone can learn from my stupidity…

Thanks for helping me out all.

2 Likes

It still begs the question what is going on in that specific location that causes an issue with software external to the sim?