100% reproducible CTD at specific coordinates for months [grammar.pggmod]

For months (since the launch of MSFS) I am getting the same CTD at the same coordinates 100% reproducible every try. I created a ticket and many follow up tickets, but they are just closed with copy-paste default answers and suggestions, which are not helpful (I did a complete fresh installation multiple times), I don’t think anyone has even read the details I provided.
Trying to reproduce the CTD would just take a few minutes, even if it’s not reproducible on their side I’d at least know it’s something weird on my PC.

Could maybe someone of you try to reproduce it? I’ll add the details I also provided in my tickets below:

On the direct track EDLT->EDVY, shortly after takeoff in EDLT, the game crashes always at the same point. This is reproducible (100%). Verified without any add-ons, just the base game.
Coordinates:
51° 57’ 44,29" N 7° 50’ 33,23" E
51° 57’ 44,00" N 7° 50’ 27,98" E
51° 57’ 43,87" N 7° 50’ 27,71" E
Altitude around 1000 ft MSL (really short after takeoff while climbing).
As you can see those points are only a few meters apart. See also the attached screenshot of a map where the crash occurs.
The Windows Event Viewer always has an application error pointing to the same module as the source of the crash: “grammar.pggmod” (a file from the MSFS installation at “Official\OneStore\bf-pgg\PGG”). The content of an error in the Event Viewer is also attached.

To reproduce:

• Direct flight from EDLT to EDVY.
  • Take off from runway 10 and follow the direct route immediately (e.g. with Autopilot & GPS).
  • Stay exactly on the path or a bit north of it, the crash area seems to end just shortly of the direct path, but extends a bit further north of the path.
  • Very soon the game will crash around the coordinates listed above or seen in the attached map. With a normal climb in a GA aircraft you should be north of a few wind turbines at the point of crash.

ctd_mappos.PNG

Windows Event Viewer error:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f467af2
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: grammar.pggmod, Version: 68.0.5727.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f2b24d2
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000026743e5
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa2c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6830654b104a3
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: G:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Official\OneStore\bf-pgg\PGG\grammar.pggmod
Berichtskennung: 95e8fa8c-2ee9-4d68-afc3-2dc7a7f2ef74
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

A little bit of elbow grease required, but I wonder what search results you might get when FSDeveloper forums are back up? I believe they’re the official forums for SDK development? They might have more details. So far I see three other threads here referencing this file, but no further info than what you have.

Next time I’m online I’ll give it a follow up and post the results.
Regards

LauriniusVFR Munster-Telgte (EDLT) to Porta Westfalica (EDVY).pln (2.1 KB)

Does not look like it is just your computer.
I got same thing 3 times with attached flightplan.
I see a .NET Runtime error a few seconds before each time.
I flew a bit more south 1st time and was about 1/2 way thru flight with no problems. Then I added userpoints and yes, game stalled, paused and CTD each time when I was closer to points at about 1000 ft.

1st 2 times in DA62
3rd time All Community Folder Addons disabled. in Cessna172

ERRORs

Could be Antivirus or something else like marketplace addon. Perhaps others can fly and add their results.

1 Like

I’ll try it now. What would also be interesting is can you move the drone camera there, and perhaps see something, and maybe not even trigger the crash.

For the record,I had a similar thing last week, where spawning at a 3 digit airstrip in the US would crash before the flight even loaded. Something in that location is broken I assume. Will check back in soon.

In something like 250 hours flying on MSFS I have rarely seen a CTD, so thought I’d have a look at this.

Took off in the Cessna Skyhawk G1000 and sure enough, at exactly the point you mentioned my computer crashed.
I then tried the flight the other way round from EDVY to EDLT. All went well until I came to the location you mentioned where I had a CTD again.
I couldn’t see any reason, but do these results suggest there is some scenery dependent problem, perhaps trying to load a missing or corrupt object?

3 Likes

Any overclocking going on? Or software like AfterBurner, RivaTuner or CPU Tweak running in the background?

Yep, I crashed as well.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fa3fc26
Faulting module name: grammar.pggmod, version: 69.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f685689
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000002a5f6d5
Faulting process ID: 0x5564
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bff626ea10b5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.10.11.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Flight Simulator\Official\OneStore\bf-pgg\PGG\grammar.pggmod
Report ID: 17a9bab0-e98b-4f6d-889c-7c004d905bbf
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.10.11.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The only mod I have is the Navigraph data. I was flying the Seminole. I’m now going to use the drone camera to have a look around at that location. I might also try turning off all the online features, in case it is streamed scenery that is the issue.

There is a text file in this location, with the following content:

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Copyright (C) 2016-2020 Blackshark.ai GmbH. All Rights reserved. www.blackshark.ai
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[PGGMODULE]
P4_CHANGELIST="678754"

# Copyright (C) 2016-2020 Blackshark.ai GmbH. All Rights reserved. www.blackshark.ai

[PGGLIB]
P4_CHANGELIST="677304"
P4_CHANGELIST_DATE="2020/09/17"
P4_BRANCH="KH_STAGING"

If it’s Blackshark related, then maybe it’s the autogen buildings in that location?

2 Likes

Sounds like a similar problem to what used to cause a CTD at/near Keflavik in Iceland (BIKF) in the launch version. That got fixed by Asobo and was a scenery problem.

Only way to get this resolved is via zendesk, which you’ve done. If others get this too, then raise a ticket as well to help to raise the issue. I will try it later.

Thanks for testing. Yes, after a bit more research it seems to be autogen related, and it seems it only happens when the graphics setting for “Building” is at least “Medium” (or the crash area in “Low” is just too small.

I managed to create a small scenery add-on which is just a exclusion polygon for autogen buildings that seems to fix the problem. I’ll try to narrow the area down a bit to the center of the crash area and I’ll upload it later.

1 Like

I turned all online features off, and I still crashed.

Empty your community folder. Add mod by mod and test. Already solve CTD for me. In my case it was a scenery conflict.

This is my home airport and i had never serious problems there^^

No mods here, so it’s not that for me. Lowering building quality to Low allowed me to fly through that area.

The two abrupt stops above the magenta line are with Ultra presets, online features on, and off.

The dashed line that flies mostly on the magenta line slightly further South is with UItra presets with buildings set to Low. It’s definitely a default scenery issue related to autogen buildings, not a scenery mod in the Community folder.

2 Likes

Without airport and scenery addons too?

Yes, as my screenshot shows.

I completed that flight with Buildings set to low.

No takeoff logged as is often the case with unt-towered airports as it asks for ATC clearance for takeoff that you cannot get. Near the end of the flight it still shows this, which is a different issue for a different thread:

I’ll now fly the reverse course, with Buildings set back to Ultra, and see where it crashes on the way back.

2 Likes

That’s somewhat common, actually. Apart from report it to zendesk and avoid the area there’s not much you can do. Will probably get fixed in a next world update.

1 Like

The reverse course crashed much further back than I expected:

It’s the line heading SW just above the yellow line:

So somewhere in this area:

I hope this helps. I’m now off to get some burgers, and watch episode 4 of The Mandalorian! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I narrowed it down to a small area and the OSM buildings, when I exclude those I do not get a crash. Could you try with my fix add-on?

Rename to .zip and extract into Community folder:
package-laurinius-scenery-edlt.zip.pln (14.3 KB)
Project sources (rename to .zip):
sources-laurinius-scenery-edlt.zip.pln (16.5 KB)

The area where the problematic autogen is located is really small, you can barely see the EDLT airstrip in the lower left corner:

I wonder what the OSM buildings are, as the few houses in that spot are still build when I only exclude OSM (when I would choose exclude all there would be no buildings at all in the exclusion polygon.

Would be nice to know what its trying to do in the excluded area that causes the crash. And I wonder how much more of those tiny crash spots exist around the world.

6 Likes

Yes, I just flew over that area with Ultra presets, including Buildings set to Ultra, and I had no crash.

Well done! :clap:

Definitely log this with Zendesk, and include that mod folder as a workaround. That should assist with them fixing it.