2-5 minute random freezes (not responsive)

Every so often the sim freezes/becomes unresponsive for say 2-5 minutes. It happens on the ground, in the air, with various aircraft (pmdg 737, fbw a320, WT CJ4) and at various airports.

I’ve had this problem for a while now and can’t seem to get rid of it (SU 9, 10 and now 11). I have the latest amd 22.10.3 drivers (5700xt), 32gb ram, 1TB nvme drive, ryzen 3900x. I’ve tried running with HT and virtualization on and off.

I have also added exclusions for the entire Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wek… folder (windows AV).

I have the latest FSUIPC v7.3.14 which starts with the sim.

I’ve tried running constant pings (ping plotter) to a23-45-16-106.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com to determine whether there is a drop in the connection…all is solid green.

I tried running ProcessMon (sys internals) but the FlightSimulator process is still very much active (registry, files, and network) during the freeze.

During the freeze, the sound keeps playing, but the graphics freezes and you are unable to interact with it. FSUIPC log also stops. The sim eventually recovers but ■■■■ this is annoying.

Any ideas?

4 Likes

Got the same now, started with su11. Any ideas

1 Like

I thought it was just me. I’ve started having this issue since World Update 11 with the same add-ons (scenery), although mine is 3-5 seconds but very often, especially when I look around in the cockpit.

I also have been having this problem for many months and it is driving me crazy to the point I don’t fly much anymore. I experience freezes that last around 45 seconds, sometimes more. It is similar to plugging or unplugging a USB device but I have disallowed turning USB devices off, so that is not the problem.

My first freeze will often come in the main menu or the flight planning map. Then again in the plane getting the plane configured and the flight plan installed or often just as I lift off the runway or just before touchdown. It’s maddening.

2 Likes

im getting the same exact thing.

I have the same problems. I have had this issue since i got FS2020, last 2 years. Have tried alot of things. Freezes are always 3-6 mins for me. Sim always comes back, but could freeze again. Makes the sim unusable But it doesnt happen every session for me. Very frustrating and hence i dont play the sim as much as i would otherwise. Would welcome any new ideas for a real solution

1 Like

I’ve the same issue

Just started getting this problem today. In flight and it is just like pause but the aircraft slowly rolls and heads down, unable to stop a crash the second time.

I started having this the last 5 days and it feels completely random. I have updated/rolled back display drivers without any success. I used to kill the sim process when this happens as I thought the sim locked up but realised today everything goes back to normal after 5-10min.

1 Like

I am experiencing a similar issue, but my freezes usually last “only” 10 sec or so. I noticed that they seem to happen only when I am approaching a sizable regional or international airport, smaller landing strips seem to be safe. Had this with a number of different GA planes and it started with SU 10 or 11. SU 12 didn’t fix it.

1 Like

Randomly having the same Issue…never was able to figure out the reason.

Same here. Aircraft stopped three times on the taxiway for one to two minutes.
Additional I have mostly a time lack after pushing the “fly-button”. The aircraft appears in correct condition, but the toolbar is not rechable until I wait two minutes. This special effect started some weeks ago. Tried everything to find a solution, but did not succeed.

I have the same thing and it randomly freezes for 10 minutes and then everything comes back to life. I have only had it in the ATR and not 100% of this but I think it only happened when not flying real time.

Just had another one and after about 5min waiting I decided to change the MSFS process to an above normal priority in Task Manager and the sim came back to life instantly.

I have this since a couple of months and it prevents me using MSFS.
Now I am at 1.33.8.0
This is a very annoying thing.
What did I pay for?
3.500,- EUR for hardware only for MSFS -USELESS!

I thought it freezes when using the oculus rift s. With the rift s I had the longest freezes. Felt like more than 7 minutes.
This happens at take-off close to the ground (sure, the sim was started and so the flight starts on ground. But: I also have freezes after a stable flight to 15-30 sec. sometimes 2 minutes when landing…)

Then 2-3 seconds of gameplay then again freeze for 1-2 minutes then again some seconds of gameplay and after this again freezes and so on.
until the sim stays stable.
The next test was without VR but behaves almos the same, but a bit shorter.

I have no HDD activitiy during the freezes. I turned off network capabilities, but no change.

Who wants to wait 7 minutes for the sim ???
This is an absolute bullsh**

2 Likes

This started happening to me too a couple of weeks ago. Ryzen 3700X Radeon 6800XT. Have no errors on windows event viewer and MSFS is still active since I can see in task viewer changes in CPU and RAM usage. Sounds are still on, but the image is completely frozen and non responsive to any input.

Ran CHKDSK, DISM, found no errors.

Try disabling Fast Start/Boot in your bios.

Do you have any explanation on how fast boot could be related? Just to understand.

When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular start up or shut down. Its like a hybrid sleep mode and over time things can get corrupted as the kernel is not getting fully initialized from scratch. Also your video driver is not getting fully reset at boot up. Disabling fast boot helped reduce the number of stutters on my PC. See article below
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-fast-startup/8c08b3cf-7f31-4857-8e77-09351906f3a5

I have the feeling that these freezes occur with me at the beginning of the descent… sim freezes i click onto the icon on the taskbar inside the mini picture and it comes back… i have no idea what to click or why i click on the msfs icon on the taskbar … just want windows to unsuspend (its not suspended as task manager would show it) the process. … its a strange bug…