20 fps on 3440x1440 ultra 5900x 6800xt

He’s scraping the bottom of the playable barrel at 1440p.

What does that even mean ? In exactly what way is 1440p less playable than 4K ?
Let me say this: that is the most irrelevant idea I’ve read on this forum so far.
You guys really are victims of the industry marketing.

First of all, scientifically, at the distance you are from your monitor, 1440p and 4K are visually nearly undistinguishable and that’s a scientific fact. The human eye can only resolve 1 arc minute and that’s with perfect vision. If you do the calculation, you realize that at a distance of 0.6m, on a 32" monitor, that’s 0.24mm and even in 1440p, one pixel is about as small as that. So 4K single monitors are essentially useless.

Secondly even if you could distinguish pixels, it is unlikely that MSFS will ever have good enough texturing that it matters. Why ? Because since you can fly at any altitude (even at 300 ft or less), this means you need near perfect texturing down to walking distance. This is never gonna happen. The best photogrammetry looks very good already, but when you get too close it will always be an ugly mess. And an ugly mess in 4K is not better than an ugly mess in 1440p or even in 1080p.

The truth is 4K is pretty much useless and is merely an industry trick to sell more monitors in a completely saturated market. One has to sustain that multi billion $ business one way or another, right ? So saying “scraping the bottom of the playable barrel at 1440p” is just perpetuating a completely fabricated urban legend.

10 Likes

Yes, S.A.M is enabled. i dont have adrenaline installed, so no rage mode. i just installed the drivers as the AMD software is just bloatware to me… tried with adrenaline installed as well, and there was no difference in performance. thnx for replying :slight_smile:

I think the point that was being made was that the reported FPS at that resolution for that system, as in 20-25, is scraping the bottom of the barrel,not the actual screen resolution itself.

4 Likes

i know :slight_smile: flying in the middle of nowhere does not interest me :stuck_out_tongue: i fly around locally, training on my IFR procedures

Thnx for sharing this, i think you need to experience the issue at hand to fully understand what is wrong.
im glad to hear im not alone. at the same time, im sorry for you being in the same barrel as me :stuck_out_tongue: its pure frustration and it makes no sense from a performance perspective when tweaking settings.

1 Like

I have a beefy system and I was struggling with low performance (flying GA in rural areas in a single screen). I tinkered with the render scale and it helped tremendously. I know it sounds silly but even after putting it back to 100% the positive effect remained.
My explanation is that something was blocked or whatever and got overwritten during the tuning and restarting. It’s totally unscientific but I thought I’d share because I was in the same boat as you and it went away for reasons I don’t understand to this day.

2 Likes

Thnx for replying, ill give it a go as we speak

EDIT: Going from 100 to 30 in renderscaling made zero difference in performance

I think he was talking about the FPS being at the bottom of playable. And those FPS he gets at 1440p, not 4k.

His post is not about the resolution AT ALL.

P.S.: The difference between 1080p and 4k resolution on a 27" monitor is staggering

3 Likes

This means there is something SERIOUSLY off… You’re probably fully CPU bound somewhere. Have you tried turning off multiplayer? What does the MSFS frame counter say?

1 Like

Ive updated my post multiple times since yesterday for those of you who are returning. Please read the 1st post again before hammering the keyboard :stuck_out_tongue:

Try going from a 27" to a 34" :stuck_out_tongue: the wow factor was insane for the first 2 days until i got used to it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Not CPU, but GPU according to DEV MODE frame counter

In that case it does make 0 sense that your frame rate doesn’t improve if you decrease your render scaling to 30.

Good idea, but I have 3 of them :wink:

1 Like

I rest my case :rofl: :raised_hands:

[quote=“Pieter1982NL, post:35, topic:391361, full:true”]
In that case it does make 0 sense that your frame rate doesn’t improve if you decrease your render scaling to 30.

Completly agree… cyberpunk 2077 gives me 75-80 fps all maxed out on graphics

First… let the sim choose the default settings and after this, you can tweak the rest.
And as stated many tines by MS and Asobo, MSFS doesn’t particularly like overclocked systems, so put everything back to default and see what it does…

2 Likes

Thnx for replying :slight_smile: ive done that, It makes absolutly no difference performance wise in this game

1 Like

Edit; How does it perform when putting resolution back to 1440p?

Must be; 1080p

1 Like

Just as before… The only thing that has an noticiable impact on performance is the terrain LOD setting.

I was getting better performance on my old 7700k 1080ti pc with the same settings, so this makes absolutly no sense to me

The engine of MSFS has a strange preference for older spec machines…

3 Likes