2024 ActiveSky Weather Program Main Thread

I bought this a few days back, and so far I am really impressed, on a number of fronts.

Cloud formations are closer to what we had at release than what we have now.

Wind is more consistent with reality, with the option to double them at ground level, to counter the Asobo halving of weather. Much discussed elsewhere, what they appear to have done is take the winds aloft, and halved them at ground level, instead of starting from the ground, and doubling them above.

This was a test I ran last night, parked on the runway at KOSH. The flat part was Asobo live weather, and then I enabled AS.

Wind gusts are much improved, and don’t have that baked in repeating pattern I found back in January.

In Asobo live weather, or preset for that matter, gusts are extremely frequent, leading to very aggressive changes in speeds. In AS these changes in velocity are still there, but are now far more gradual, which the thread I linked to above illustrates.

Obviously the program is a compromise, but a step in the right direction, and I’d really love the Asobo designers to get AS, and spend some serious time with it, then revisit what they are doing with their wind simulation. Plus, there is always the passive mode so you get the nice transition-less(?) Live Asobo weather, with the AS wind simulation injected.

I’m planning on running some more tests tonight at airports with reported gusts, so I’ll have some graphs up comparing how Asobo, and AS do it differently.

4 Likes