2024 Career Mode

I’m really looking forward to this.

I’ve been using NeoFly off/on for a while now and I’d had tempered high hopes for 2024’s career mode.

Looking at what is described in the marketing copy and what TwoToneMurphy shared on his intro to 2024, it looks significantly more detailed than I had hoped for.

I can’t wait to get involved with it.

Anyone else?

11 Likes

Same. I donated to get some of the more advanced features (i.e. hired Pilots) but I’ve basically maxed out my character. I have all the plane certifications, I have over $600M in cash which can buy anthing except I think the Darkstar, and I’m Senior Captain with no where else to go.

It was great fun and kept me engaged in MSFS2020 for much longer than I otherwise would have been. Money well spent. But I’m hopeful the MSFS2024 career mode will be even more immersive.

8 Likes

The career feature must be really good and deep to surpass the level of detail already offered by specialized addons such as OnAir, Neofly, FS Economy, Air Hauler etc.

It’s a fantastic addition which adds purpose (what I’ve been shouting for decades, ever since I started using the legendary FS Passengers addon in FSX). But I’m waiting to see how much detailed and hardcore it’ll be.

3 Likes

I think I will try it whern launch but I’m more cargo/airliner focused and playing more FlyLat lately so, let’s see.

The more I’ve seen and heard about the Career mode the more I like it. It really adds an extra layer of the immersion to the sim and gives the over all experience a lot more focus.

1 Like

question: will there be an “easy” mode- for users who don’t care about procedures , beyond maybe a 30minute mission, but who still want to explore the various career activities and planes?

I hope it’s not like a Gran Turismo or Sports Manager game where you are forced to do the real thing which can take months or more to do. I just want to free fly or select fire fighting mission & be on my way.

Is this not the case?

3 Likes

Free fly is always an option. Any plane, any where.

The firefighting might be a scripted event only playable through the challanges menu.

The career mode would be 100% optional to play and will not unlock any other parts of the sim, outside of the career mode eco system.

An aircraft maintenance simulation mode would be great and add a new dimension to the simulator.

2 Likes

FYI, With regard to the various careers available, I copied these from this video

Aircraft:

• First Flight
  • Ferry Flight
  • Flightseeing
  • Skydive Aviation
  • Cargo Transport (Light)
  • Aerial Advertising
  • Charter Service - Private
  • Search & Rescue
  • Cargo Transport - Medium
  • Aerial Firefighting - Initial Attack
  • Medivac
  • Agricultural Aviation
  • Charter Service - VIP
  • Passenger Transport - Airline
  • Aerial Firefighting - Extended Attack
  • Cargo Transport - Heavy
  • Cargo Transport - Super Heavy

Rotorcraft:

• Passenger Transport
  • Flightseeing
  • Search & Rescue
  • Cargo Transport - Hook
  • Search & Rescue - Hoist
  • Agricultural Aviation
  • Aerial Construction

There may be more that were not shown, so don’t treat this as a definative list. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

So you don’t need to do career mode to unlock challengers or free flight planes?

And are the missions, ie vip, cargo, fire,tornado science, all in missions as well? Or are you forced to do career mode & unlock stuff in order to try out those things ?

Hoping not the latter- very restrictive

Would you happen to know if Premium Deluxe aircraft will be used in the career/mission mode?

It seems a little silly to have aircraft like a Chinook or Supertanker in the sim & not get to use them for the appropriate missions.

Hoping the career mode scratches my itch of having something of a mix of FSPassengers (I miss you) and FSEconomy (which has it’s limitations)…

…they seem to be aiming at a broad audience. So perhaps that one man bush delivery operation can develop all the way through to an virtual airline with side gigs fighting fires and rescuing folks at sea, action to avoid grind…one can dream :slight_smile:

< looks around on youtube >

Wow, yeah

You know what a proper “Career” mode needs, right?

• Persistent aircraft states, so that it makes you care if you haven’t shut it down properly and it forces you to go over checklists with a real purpose
  • Persistent fuel/oil levels
  • MSFS to resume last parking spot and condition of the aircraft without us having to select these manually
  • Engine, tyre and airframe wear and tear (both progressively over time but also over you slamming gear hard on a landing or causing a wet engine start or plug fouling during taxiing)
  • A motive to adhere to at least basic aviation procedures and rules, otherwise you’ll somehow get penalized. Such as:
    – landing lights on below 10k for commercial aircraft
    – beacons on while engines on, strobes on at the runway etc
    – VFR staying off clouds and respecting minimum AGLs
    – trying to avoid turbulence on passenger airliner flights
    – having transponder on when required
    – respecting airport taxi speed limits
    – respecting airspaces
    – etc, you get the gist of it

Obviously much of the above depends on whether the a/c supports it. For example you can’t expect state saving for a mostly INOP a/c. But for those that do support it (and they all should!) try to integrate them to career modes.

In FS Passengers some 20 years ago, during a harsh C172 landing my pilot was injured and had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks, thus he was unable to fly any missions in the meantime. This is proper career mode. Not just skill trees and contracts.

6 Likes

I’ve watched several videos and I’m very intrigued. I will admit, I was half-expecting to see the career mode be a direct integration and partnership with NeoFly, considering how far MS has gone to form 3rd party partnerships and collaborations for FS24, much to their credit. It’s not the end of the world, of course, but it means there are still a lot of unknowns. If done well, this would be a major selling point for me.

So here’s my thoughts so far. Character creation is interesting. I’m not concerned with playing dress-up, but I do hope we will be able to change clothes as we go along - simply because it would be weird to start out in a hoodie and sweatpants flying a C152 and NOT be able to put on a suit once you can fly an airliner. I saw one video that said you can record your own voice to use for your character - very curious to see how that works. The animations - ex. walking up to the office to start working - are a nice, immersive touch.

The license/progression system looks good, and the mission generation looks rather robust. I am very interested about one key point, and I hope someone may already have this answer: (1) Is there location saving? In other words, after completing a point A to point B mission, do you then get to look for your next mission from your new location (as your typical career add-on does), or do you magically teleport back to your chosen home base (which would be incredibly linear and “gamey”)? Magic teleportation would really break the immersion for me and basically lead me to ignore the whole feature. I know you can change your home base, but that doesn’t really address if you can “move around” as you operate, or if it’s little more than a dynamic challenge list for a fixed home location.

Another question I have is about state saving. I love the idea of the walkaround actually mattering, and I would like to hear more details about how wear and tear works: (2) Do you simply pay an automatic “repair fee” at the end of each mission according to how gentle/rough you were, or do components degrade over time (and faster with misuse/abuse) and you have to go in and perform inspections/repairs at appropriate times?

I’m a bit bummed by the reports that there will be no AI pilots/flights. It definitely won’t help you feel like you own a major company when you have just 1 plane and 1 pilot (you). I could see this being added in the future.

Another missed opportunity is cooperative play. Obviously this would work better for some job types more than others - fire fighting immediately coming to mind, as it sure would be cool to team up to tackle large objectives. I could also see this being added as a future update.

4 Likes

For sure, I’d love to be lying circles in a Bronco relaying data to other Broncos leading tankers to the drop zones.

That would be EPIC!

1 Like

Career mode will let you progress and be limited at first.

Free flight will let u take a 747 through downtown Manhattan if you wanted.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it restricting you. Think of it as normal flight sim with a career mode you can choose to play or not.

2 Likes

I hear ya. It’s just a downer and restriction if the only way to do vip, cargo, etc missions is to unlock stuff via a more formal flight training.

Only one way to tell what I’ll pick so gotta wait 2 months.

Career mode does seem to be directed, as shown in this screenshot from this preview:

I’m slowly reviewing the reviews. I have yet to see if one can choose which aircraft one flies. For example, I pass my Airport Transport Pilot License. Can I choose to fly passengers in an A310, or Boeing 737, or (if I’ve purchased the appropriate SKU) the Saab 340B, Boeing 787-10 or even the Latecoere 631?

Or is the aircraft determined by the mission creator? If so, some missions / activities would always be unavailable unless you upgraded to the right SKU.

@DaveBGaming

I would assume so - Both for the Deluxe & Premium Deluxe, but have, as yet, to see this mentioned specifically (still lots of videos & articles to review though). Perhaps others have the answer.

[Edit. Just got around to reading the 09-19 updated Zendesk FAQ:

What aircraft will I have access to in Career Mode?
Career Mode is open for all kinds of aircraft that are appropriate for the various aviation activities. Most but not all of the aircraft from the various editions of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 will be utilized in the Career and the system is also open to 3rd parties if they want their aircraft to participate.

I’m toying with getting the Aviators if one was able to choose & use those aircraft in the career activities that are available at release, but I suspect that will not be the case.

5 Likes

It’s a quantity vs quality value proposition.

Hope so. I am so hyped.

1 Like