2060 Super & i7 10700 - what am I limited by?

Hi folks - apologies for what I suspect are super dumb questions. I have (per the title), an Nvidia 2060 Super, and an i7 10700 (ram and SSD should both in theory be fine).

I’m keen to upgrade my CPU or GPU, but I can’t work out which of the two is causing FPS bottlenecks.

Screenshots from DX12:

Both CPU and GPU are fairly low in Task Manager, CPU main thread included.

MSFS says on dev mode it’s limited by CPU, despite the utilization, for all cores, being fairly low.

I’m aware the 2060 Super isn’t all that brilliant, so I originally assumed I should upgrade that. Then again, MSFS is showing as CPU limited, despite the utilization in Task Manager being fairly low…? Keen to get to the bottom of this - any ideas/suggestions? What should I be upgrading?

we have many topics in forum about “limited by mainthread” and also the currenty DX12 impl not fix that at all. ( reason: all is waiting for that one ‘worker’ which can not splitted more to other cores, therefore you see one core in full load ). The most common thing to reduce that effect is: reduce TLOD setting e.g. to 150 and not go higher than 200.

EDIT:

and I forgot… your GPU is at 81° … that never normal, if you not own a laptop, with 12% load.Thus try to change the “copy” engine to “graphics_1” engine… See also Answer : Why is my GPU usage only 5..15..25.. %

PS: mentioned the EDIT, because that is what to upgrade :wink: … I assume your 2060 is in full load, independend that you currently in some situations cpu limited too.

Like @MichaMMA said, you are limited by that one Logical processor pegged at 100%

Before upgrading I had, well still have a a second PC, you same setup.

I ran with high-end settings and locked in-game at 30 FPS and that helps some with that one processor being.

Going to ULTRA really hits the CPU harder and running at 30 FPS runs much smoother than 60 FPS, where I use to get more stutters.

Thanks! From what I can tell making that Task Manager change to graphics_1, the GPU is running in the high 80%s. None of the CPU cores are above 50%.

Is it safe to assume I’m GPU limited, despite the GPU “graphics_1” engine not being at 100%?

1 Like

these one, thats 100% :slight_smile:

As mentioned, I assume you are currently in a mix of CPU or GPU limited. The 2060 Super might struggle in lots of situations. But you can here try to lower some GPU relevant settings a bit, without much impact on graphics quality… or try e.g. DLSS in Qualitiy mode.

What the future bring about “core limit” we not know… most important is the TLOD setting, also stronger CPU struggle here with higher values. But of course airplanes like the Fenix , etc. cause additional load on the CPU.

@CAPTAINAS007 mentioned allready an experiance where you can compare.

I own an i7-8700K / 2080TI / 64GIG RAM ( note: I also noticed that your RAM is nearly full, so hint for next PC: minimum 32GIG :wink: ) and with a 3840x1600 resolution:

• I set limit usually to 37.5 FPs ( just with Vsync )
  • my CPU can max out my 2080TI in lots of situations ( and far less than 100% CPU load )
  • but there are also situations where I , as we all, limited by one core
  • at least I reach usually my target fps of 37.5

So,… what I would recommend… may be check more your “how you flight” - are you often more CPU limited or GPU limited. Then I would decide… but I tend in your case, more to the GPU and bit more RAM. The CPU we hope we get better cpu utilization with coming updates.
But, as we say here: " What you do is just allways the wrong thing and you know more after you made the wrong decision first" :rofl:
( possible the worst translation of these adage ever :face_with_hand_over_mouth: )

EDIT: ah… what I must mention is the kind of OC I use… I choose the setting “sync all cores”… that mean the Turbo Frequency will affect all cores in same way ( 4.7 for my CPU ) and so I not have “slower” cores. Needs a better cooling and bit lowering voltage.

I didn’t pay attention and notice the point @MichaMMA makes of your RAM ; 16GB is really low. There are other things in the background that are using RAM and will cause paging, which will also slow you down.

You really should consider going up to a minimum of 32GB. If you run a lot of other stuff in the background like Little NavMap, Navigraph, Discord or other apps maybe even consider 64GB. Don’t know what motherboard you have so you have to check to see wha the max supported RAM is.

1 Like