3090ti Low GPU Usage

Hello everyone, hope to find a solution to this…

I’ve just installed my new 3090ti Founders Edition, but I’ve noticed a low GPU usage and a relevant low FPS for this type of card. I get around 30/40 fps on the ground (LIME + FlyByWire), I don’t have any strange addons. My GPU usage is around 30/40 %, also my CPU usage is around 20/30 %, so I don’t think its a CPU bottleneck.

With my previous 2080ti I was getting the same FPS, so its not normal.

I play on 1440p resolution, I’ve also tryed the new DLSS option, and I get around 40/50fps on the ground, not much more. Everything is set on Ultra and best quality, ground resolution on 200.

These are my specs:
i9-10920X CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz|
RAM 64,0 GB
3090ti Founders Edition
Windows 11

Thank you very much in advance.

You basically already gave the answer yourself: you ARE in a fully CPU limited situation, illustrated by the fact that neither a more powerful GPU nor DLSS results in more FPS.

CPU usage you measured by simply looking into the task manager, correct? On a multicore CPU, due to the fast thread shuffling by Windows, it is almost impossible to have meaningful readouts, especially not if you look only on the overall CPU load instead of per core. Imagine a quad core CPU with one core at 100% and three cores at 0%, you will get an overall CPU usage of 25%, yet you are already fully CPU limited due to one core being hammered…

BUT: you 3090ti power is not at a loss, simply invest the overhead into image quality, for example by using higher resolution scale, higher settings (if not at ultra already anyway) and such.

In my case for example, with a 8700K, I am even more CPU limited and I invested my GPU overhead (RX 6900 XT in my case) into resolution scale, now running the sim at 1440p with 130 resolution scale, giving me a super crisp and clear picture without a single FPS loss.

5 Likes

Moved topic to #self-service:pc-hardware,
as the issue does not seem to be a bug.
The situation seems exactly like @AnkH828072 described.

There are several other topics with similar issues, which may help you:
E.g. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/low-cpu-usage-low-gpu-usage-extremely-low-frames/449324

Hello everyone and thanx for your reply.

I’ve attached a screenshot with task manager open and the FPS counter on top right, It doesn’t seem that my CPU is under heavy load, but please tell me if I’m wrong.

Thank you

1 Like

You are wrong, as already said: it is that simple, if your GPU usage is below 90%, you are most probably in a CPU limitation. On your screenshot you see the one thread/core on the lower right side of the panel being hammered. I guess this is core 0, so a classic situation for MSFS.

1 Like

@AnkH828072 is right. For testing, lower your TLOD which is CPU heavy, E.g. by step of 25, and you’ll see your last core usage going down, and your fps going up.
The granularity of the Task Manager is not enough precise to catch 100% usage peaks and display them. You are too close to the Max, so probably you touch it often between 2 display of the Task Manager.

@AnkH828072 @CodeLoran69 Ok thank you very much, I’ll try to tweak some settings :wink:

The bottom right is the Core 23

1 Like

It’s often the last one with MSFS.
Just look what I took yesterday, and from the MSFS menu. I didn’t posted it yet to complain about this behavior as I want to do other tests before:

It’s a 100%, for sure :wink:

2 Likes

Same issue this bug is driving me crazy, my 3080 TI 12GB is only being utilized at 20% and only getting me 20 to 30 fps and always stuttering, my specs

I9-12900K
Aorus z690 board
AORUS 32GB DDR4 3700mhz
GIGABYTE AORUS 3080TI 12GB
AORUS 360 WATERFORCE AIO

All parts are brand new, built this pc specifically for msfs, tried updating to latest nvidia drivers, enabling xmp/resizable bar and trying a bunch of different graphics settings but nothing helps, even with high settings my pc struggles, the in game fps counter says limited by main thread, whatever that means. one thing I realized is that 11gb out of my 12GB video memory is being used could that be the reason to such low usage? Could it be a vram bottleneck? Would upgrading to a 3090 with 24gb help? Any others people experiencing same issue? Any help appreciated thanks

1 Like

You have the exact same specs as my system.

Are you getting 20 to 30 fps on one screen?? What resolution is the screen?

I’m running three 27" 1440p screens, two 1080p 15" touch screens and another 1080p screen for my flight log app (Volanta) and i’m seeing 30 to 45 fps usually.

First thing i would do is goto your nvidia control panel, press reset on the main tab and again on the MSFS tab, then try again and check your fps. I have rolling cache turned off, DLSS quality and DX12 running.

AFAIK you are CPU limited, yes, even with your CPU. Try lowering settings affecting CPU like TLOD or OLOD, also Cloud from Ultra to High.
You should read (if not already done) few posts above you (6 or 7) as we are talking how to lower CPU pressure if we are right.

I’m using 2 monitors, one Samsung odeyssy 32inch 1440p 165hz monitor (main monitor) and the second one is a dell 1080p 60hz 22 inch monitor.

In thats case you should certainly be getting higher fps, I gather you have not set TLOD & OLOD at max ?

I would reset your nvidia panel as described and try again. Try with TLOD & OLOD on 100.

I’m using 200 tlod and 150 olod still same issue even tried over clocking to 5.5ghz, and all my cores are under 20 percent utilization, so I really doubt it’s a cpu bottleneck, if a 12900k is not enough to run the sim on high settings then the only option is a threadripper :confused:

How do you measure CPU utilization? Per core or in total? A multicore total CPU can easily shwo only 20% overall load yet with one core hammered at 100%, you are nevertheless in a full CPU limit. Way more relevant and meaningful is the GPU utilization: everything below 90% GPU load and you ARE in a CPU limit, no matter what this CPU utilization tells you. Even more, if the dev mode infograph tells you that you are main thread limited, you ARE main thread limited… easy as that.

2 Likes

HELLO this is my configuration

Overview
Computer model: ASUS System Product Name
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (10.0, Build 22622)
Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-13900KF 24/32
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z790-A WIFI
RAM: 32 GB
Hard disk: Samsung SSD 990 PRO 2TB (1,8 TB/Fixed hard disk media)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 (16,0 GB)
Monitor: Acer America Corp. Acer X34A (3440x1440 / 34,2 Inch)

I ve the same problem

Low FPS around 50 and 20 15 near ground in big city

I saw a lot of video running at 100 fps on youtube with the same GPU and CPU in ULTRA setting

How can I fix this ?

Thankyou for any help . Sorry but I m very noob so please tell me what i ve to do like a kid