Low CPU usage/Low GPU usage extremely low frames

Hi All,

recently got my new machine RTX3070TI i9 11900k 32GB of RAM but I noticed low GPU usage and LOW CPU usage especially at Heathrow flying the 787.

Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be? not at all tech savy. when I get a drop in FPS along with CPU/GPU I tend to CTD.

Mainly running on ulta with v-Sync off. it’s fine in other aircraft.

Hello @KevinSull,

looking at the screenshots, I am unsure if you are experiencing a bug. It would be good if you could post a screenshot of the in-game fps counter, which can be enabled via the in-game developer mode setting. Basically the game will run as fast as the slowest part in your pc. The utilization that you show can indicate which part that is. For example if the CPU is utilized almost 100%, the gpu will not be utilized fully, as it has to wait for the CPU. You may know this already, but what may be not known is, that your CPU can do up to 16 things in parallel (called threads). If all these threads are fully used by MSFS, you will see almost 100% overall utilization. The problem is, that games normally are not able to use these 16 threads, as they may not have enough things for the CPU to do in parallel. This means that even if the game runs normally, you may see “low” overall CPU utilization. When looking in the task manager under performance/cpu and switch the big graph to display your 16 “logical cores” (done via right clicking the graph), you may see that in Heathrow airport one of these threads(one graph) is almost fully utilized. If this is the case, your PC may run the game as intended and the only way to solve the problem of low fps is by buying better hardware, or by reducing CPU demanding settings like the amount of ground vehicles.

Without seeing the actual graphs in-game and in the task manager, this is speculation that this is the issue you are experiencing, but I hope I could explain, why it is uncertain if you are experiencing a bug.

2 Likes

Thank you for your time in responding. I will most definitely check that out!

My god if I need better hardware already​:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Your hardware is better than mine, so you should be fine :sweat_smile:. If it turns out to be a CPU main thread bottleneck(what I described above), lowering some specific settings should give you a significant FPS boost.

2 Likes

would this be the correct place to look? bear in mind different aircraft and location.

Yes but you have to switch the graph by switching to show logical cores. I think it was done by right clicking the graph. I am not at my PC right now, but the setting should be called something like that.

1 Like

Thanks very much! I think I have it

whats really odd, it just seems to be heathrow, even at JFK its much better!

Yes, I agree that this can be very location/aircraft dependent. You can see in your screenshot that your CPU is utilized by MSFS 100%. See the top left thread graph.

Therefore I would recommend reducing settings that are heavily effecting CPU usage:

If I remember correctly, that would mainly be the cockpit refresh rate and the traffic sliders like ground/airport vehicles.

1 Like

Ah OK now I get you!

So basically reduce settings or get a better CPU! Man this resource hungry this sim!

Yes. I edited my upper post, to provide further info. This could potentially bring you relative huge performance gains for a relative small visual loss.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the help!

No problem. As the issue seems resolved/does not seem like there is a bug, I will close your topic in a few days, if no other indication is given.

Would be interesting to see your FPS gains though, if you indeed choose to change a few settings :sweat_smile:.

Yeah I will have to change a few settings!

Always hard moving the sliders down!:rofl:

Out of interest is jut that the sim is not fully utilised or just better hardware needed?

Man PC gaming can get expensive real quick

Agree, turning sliders down is always hard, but the wife would be mad spending vasts amounts of money for 10 fps more :expressionless:.

Better hardware has its benefits, but I would not say it is needed in your case. Personal taste I guess.
MSFS is currently exceptionally demanding for a game. You are correct, when you say that MSFS does not fully utilize your pc’s capabilities, as in theory with future software optimizations, more fps could be achieved without having to lose visual quality or having to upgrade hardware. Time will tell.
Unfortunately this is not easy to do in practice and depending on the software, may not even be an option. So as a user we don’t have to concern ourselfes with that and if you don’t want to dive into these tech things, a common user would probably stop at changing settings.

If you want to go further, I noticed something in your screenshots that I would check on my personal computer, as it would seem interesting for me. That would however be MSFS unrelated…

In the task manager your screen shot shows, that your CPU, which seems to be your bottleneck, runs at a speed of 4.80 GHz. Checking your CPU specifications, it could be able to go up to a speed of 5,30 GHz, which is some difference… Why that is the case, would need further investigation. It could be that 4.80 GHz, is entirely normal for this kind of constant load for your individual CPU. But it could also be, that your CPU gets hot and better cooling would increase your performance. As I don’t have further information, this would be speculation and I would not be overly concerned about it, if I were you. But if it interests you, you could look into it.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that! You have been a great help!

I will certainly look into that.

My current cooling, means absolutely zero to me​:rofl::rofl: not sure if good or bad

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler

1 Like

Not an expert in this domain,

but

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cool

should be fine, especially assuming the PC you bought is reasonably configured.

Seems like you have a nice setup.
In that case, tweek some MSFS setting, check if it gives you the desired performance gains and if yes, enjoy flying instead of troubleshooting :+1:.

1 Like

honestly, I appreciate your support alot!

very grateful!

1 Like

Your CPU simply isn’t this slow, something is off. This is what you might expect with something more like a 2nd-4th gen Intel CPU or something along those lines, not a 2020 top-of-the-line CPU.

There are a lot of AVG processes visible in Task Manager. Try to disable any real-time / anti-ransomware / similar protection there and elsewhere (Windows Defender is fine though) and see what happens.

I had similar but less extreme issues with similar software (Acronis Active Protection, thread here) where it cost me 35-40% of my framerate.

Could you post an exact scenario (plane, weather, multiplayer setting, traffic setting, airport + runway you spawn on, and date + time)? I could try it out too and see what results I get. I only have the standard edition though so please try the 747 or A320 instead in that case.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback.

How do you disable them? Sorry if its a silly question

I agree with @Aeluwas, that I would stop AVG processes from running while MSFS is active, to make sure it is not at fault.
This may help you to accomplish it?: How to temporarily disable AVG Antivirus | AVG

Personally I would completely remove AVG and also just use the Windows Defender, since it is very capable these days.

Also, I rechecked your CPU frequency and your 4.8ghz seems normal for multithreaded applications: Intel Core i9-11900K Processor - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech

1 Like