32gb of memory not enough!

Developers being open is good but dangerous, people can often take idle speculation of the “maybe we could” level and turn it into “you promised” .

2 Likes

hope someone can properly test 16/32/64GB with different planes (GA, Jet, etc) flying over different areas (urban, mountains etc). I don’t think there is much difference.

The only possible difference is stutter.

More ram is not going to have any effect on frame rates or visual appearance.

So i’m using my friends system with an i9 10900f and an rtx 3090.

Compared to the 3080 it definitely runs the sim much smoother in 4k with ultra settings.

Especially when you are using the 787-10 in a populated area.

I’m certain that I was running out of VRAM with the 3080.

The 3090 also isn’t as loud, or generating as much heat.

I do understand that the sim will be optimized but i’m thinking about the future when the study level aircraft addons are added.

I’m going with an rtx 3090 for flightsim. In my mind it’s not overkill at all. It’s future proof.

1 Like

A proper comparison would have been an identically specced system with an RTX 3090. Other factors could have played a part.
^
Did the two PCs have the exact same settings, mods, display, etc?

The RTX 3080 has plenty of VRAM for 4K gaming from all the testing I’ve seen. There are plenty of in-depth articles on the topic you should do a search for.
Hell, you can even monitor VRAM usage instead of just jumping to conclusions again.
Seems like you are constantly looking for excuses to upgrade and just think out loud in this discussion. It is your money, if you want the upgrades, spend it - you do not need our approval.

Yes the two systems were identical. I did monitor the VRAM. I did the same flight with the same weather in the same plane. Not looking for approval just stating what i’m going to do, and finally you’re right it is my money.

I have an Alienware Autora R11. 32gb Ram running at 3200mhz, RTX3080, i7-10700k.

I wouldn’t call those identical, just saying…

There seems to be some confusion here between the vram on the gpu (not upgradable) and the system ram in your pc (32gb) which is upgradeable. Both have been stated as being maxed out. Which is it?

Watching the thread un-scroll before my eyes while being satisfied with performance on my GTX980 with 3GB VRAM and playing at 1080p :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It used to all come down to personal budget, now its a slew of issues on both the hardware and software sides. :weary:

But no matter what, advocating for or recommending less power, speed, and size is not advantageous or sensible for msfs.

Sometimes 32GB are really not enough.

The RAM fills up more andd more until its full after an hour or so and the system start wild paging, game drop to 4-6 fps. With some luck you can quit to main menu but ram restores very very slow.

I am surprized to see that GPU-Z shows an RAM usage of up to 29GB while task manager only show up 8GB for msfs but there is not other ram consuming task.

Note that the VRAM is also maxed out.

Happens today over france to me. I have to have an eye on this bug.

1 Like

I didn’t take any chances, I went with the 3090 and 128GB of RAM.

1 Like

It is all relative and depends what you are doing.

The last server I ordered for work for genetic analysis had 1.5TB of RAM because the existing server with 512GB was running out of RAM and crashing the runs after a day or so. The only reason we did not spec it even higher (with two XEON Gold the server could handle more) was installing 3TB would have needed LRDIMM and a different motherboard.

Desktop Defender?

Will have a look at defender, thank you for the tip.

I have had such an popup lately but never mind ( also never seen such before).

edit: :thinking: Defender says its inactive because I use ESET. Also no problem today for over an hour in the same area, ram max around 22GB, Vram stood below 10GB. Mysterious!

Microsoft Flight Simulator can only access 6 cores currently so little difference between an i7 10700k and an i9 10900f. The Ryzen 5950X actually performs worse than the 5900 and I believe the 5800.

The mysterium continues.

Did another flight again on almost the same route as yesterday. The flight just starts with an ram load off over 24GB and then quickly rises to over 31GB while GPU usage drops to 15% or so. Of course slide show.

Does anyone have an idea for this behavior? Why I run into this issue when flying from Marseille to Orleans but not when flying from Montpellier to Saragossa?

Very strange.

I have logged both flights with GPU-Z.

I have the same problem, but sometimes. I didn’t have the problem for weeks, and yesterday i was out of memory again and 6 fps. There must be a memory leak that only triggers under specific conditions.

Ah, ok, good to see its not only me (ok, its not that good :smiley: but that good :thinking::wink:).

Will let them have a zendesk ticket now.

I wish I had found this topic before, I just had this happen to me (FPS Drop during flight - #5 by Hugothester), there is definitely a memory leak causing fps to drop like a rock after 2-3 hours of flight

1 Like