4 minute load on a nvme without big add-ons, what gives?

I’m very annoyed by the performance of the game on my rig. Running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb DDR4 3200 ram, RTX3070ti setup with MSFS being installed on my D drive which is a nvme ssd. My OS is installed on a SSD.

I run the game from the addon manager/linker with fast boot. My other addon is a pushback helper and that’s it.

Start to black screen is 1:10 minute and black screen to welcome screen is 3:15 minutes. I find this pretty appalling performance wise. In my opinion a pretty much vanilla setup should boot way faster. I tried reinstalling the game but that didn’t help.

What else can I do to improve the load times?

Thanks!

Is your SSD Sata or NVME m.2 ? that could be the problem. ssd on nvme pcie x4 is faster than sata 3

My start-up times are the same. Around 4-5 minutes.

I have less of a spec than you - Ryzen 5 2600 16GB RAM RX580, but because I have Steam, both the 1.6GB sim core files (default for MS-Store version would be to keep that on C:) and the Packages folders (Official + Community) are on E: which is a dedicated NVME M.2 strictly for the sim.

I have several third party aircraft folders, most of the Working Title Garmin Mods, Henrik’s Global Ship AI, one custom airport, Navigraph data plus some performance mods to stock aircraft. Total 14GB or so.

Where the sim core files are may matter - physical partition/speed wise. I’ve never been a fan of AddOn-Linkers so I’d be curious to see if you took that out of the equation.

My D drive which I’ve installed MSFS to is a NVME. The appdata stuff is installed on my C drive which is a SATA SSD. But I couldn’t choose where I wanted those…

By this response, I’m guessing you’re on MS-Store version?

The only way to change that is to change the installation path setting for ALL Windows Apps. That includes MSFS. See the bottom of this Zendesk note:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-Install-on-the-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-

Just short of 3 minutes here.

i9 9900k@5.2
Windows11 on a 980pro NVME
MSFS 970pro NVME
Steam on SATA SSD 850pro
MSFS cache SATA SSD 840pro

So yea, technically MSFS is on on 4 drives :crazy_face:

There was one person claiming a load time of 1m 8s in this thread - smells fishy to me…

That being said, there were a few sub-2m load times claimed (including mine).

There is something wrong with your systems. I have a 10 year old computer system with Premium Deluxe version and my load time is about 2.5 minutes:

Intel Xeon 5660 @ 4.2 GHz
24 GB DDR3 Memory
Standard Samsung SSD drive

1 Like

After you start msfs, are you opening anything else, watching vids etc. How many other programs are running. How many are auto starting and running in the background. Also try turning off your antivirus before msfs . Does it make a difference?

Takes 3 mins for me to load on a regular sata ssd and this is with plenty of addons :wink: The difference between nvme and sata ssd is not very significant for ‘‘load times’’
It also all comes down to the users machine and not to forget ram and cpu is faster than any SSD.

There’s a lot of differences in NVMe speeds. Some when approaching high utilization or over time exhibit write degrading.

I personally found this out on my system with 2 NMVe 4.0 SSD and am in the process of replacing them with a better reputable brand.

Use Crystal Disk Mark for SSD read/write performance evaluation.

And the Windows Resource Manager - Disk to see the actual files being read/written by Windows and MSFS during the start up process. This gives an excellent indication of what’s the hold up; Windows, MSFS or add-on.

1 Like

I had the same issue with loading times, It was my anti-virus software, I was able to solve it by creating exceptions in my firewall, and ultimately I uninstalled the anti-virus software, now I’m just using windows defender, haven’t had a long load time since.

Sadly I don’t have any anti virus installed. I just have Windows Defender.

I think the problem might be my Intel 660p nvme ssd. This drive isn’t known for its speed and isn’t even faster than a regular sata ssd. I’m contemplating buying the Samsung 980 Pro ssd to see if that fixes something.

I just tried timing again after cleaning up both my OS ssd and my other ssd which has MSFS on it. It’s 1:13 min to black screen and another 2:18 mins from black screen to welcome screen.

I looked at task manager while starting up and my MSFS ssd had 0% usage all the time.

Another update! I just installed Windows 10 on my nvme ssd and also installed FS2020 on the same drive together with all the world updates.

Time to black screen: 0:37 seconds
Time to welcome screen: 1:40 min
Total time: 2:17 min

I guess you could say the times improved by a lot due to the fresh install so for now my ‘‘problem’’ is fixed. 2:17 mins is ok compared to most people I reckon.

LOL, well that will speed up life a bit.

Been launching the game from a shortcut to the .exe instead of through Steam with -FastLaunch in options.

:grimacing:

Starting from the .exe 3 minutes to welcome screen

Starting from Steam with -FastLaunch 1:35, so about half the time.

a wish-topic to do that without an ‘external’ start parameter , which is not so easy to do for ms-store users:

other existing topics about the Start / loading time:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?q=start%20loading%20%20time

It’s very easy … create a shortcut add a line.

not so easy as it is for Steam Users and “difficult” for users without any kind of pc experiance :wink:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/black-screen-when-starting-installing-re-installing-msfs-2020/366628/86

just that I not get another hint “how easy it is”… It is clear how to do and all users can find the official FAQ…

I mentioned only that there is a existing WISH that users can easy do the same with a very easy in-game settings parameter…

Beside of these does your hint exactly confirm what I said: " not so easy as for Steam users " , at least one users must ask about in forum :slight_smile: