40% of users experiencing CTDs

Not strictly true . The cause of the CTD in the Andrews area was found by Asobo, and fixed, but they also said that that in fixing the Andrews Area, they found similar issues elsewhere, that would cause the same problem, and they fixed the ROOT CAUSE of the issue, that fixed both Andrews & other Areas.

So while not fixing EVERY CTD in the sim, the fix for Andrews will also fix a number of other CTDs, cause by this same root cause. :+1:

3 Likes

There are also books that sell 10 million copies, and only a quarter reads it.
If you look at the user data on Steam … … … xD

yes, millions and millions and millions…

2 Likes

The rest must be MS Store users, obviously. :grinning:

I could have phrased it better, but the “area” I referred to was really that part of the coding which caused the problem. I then listed other “areas” of the sim (instruments etc) likely to have potential CTDs, but which are not seen by the majority of simmers as they don’t use the sim in a particular way. This was in response to someone claiming that because they don’t have CTDs it cannot be FS2020 at fault, but must be local.

It would be good if the problem found by Asobo cured a lot of the CTDs users are encountering, but based on previous experience I cannot be hopeful. I previously listed a number of times release notes stated they had fixed some potential crashes, but the number of CTDs I currently get is far higher than I got before SU5. The CDTs around Andrews were pretty reproducible (as was an earlier problem with the Orbx London Landmarks following a sim update), but others not so reproducible, and therefore harder to fix.

1 Like

December 2020, the active user base exceeded 2 million, per multiple news articles. June 2021, MSFS went for PC Gamepass. Multiple articles stated that Game Pass was a success, active users exceeded 1 million. That means between December 2020 and June 2021, active users fell by over a million. The flight simulation community is a niche group. There are many people who will pick this sim up to be amazed for a while, but not all stay for the long haul.

What is this new PC Gamepass?
MSFS was available on game pass since release.

Oh, I didn’t know. I just read an article from july 2021 that said with game pass, active subscribers had passed 1 million active users. But in December it was 2 million. Maybe the article was quoting the September 2020 figures of over one million. I don’t have a PC so I had no idea when MSFS came to Game Pass. The article was talking about what great things Game Pass did for PC and what to expect for the XBox release, but since it was quoting a lower figure than the December figures that had just been exceeded and tying that number to game pass, I figured game pass was a recent thing. Why celebrate a lower figure than what it was in December? But maybe the article was just using old figures

Let’s remember that those numbers in no way represent all the users with MSFS installed on their computer. What we are looking at is the number of players connected at any given time.

If you slice the earth into 24 time zones then theoretically you would be looking at 24 separate peak user times.

Lets say, for arguments sake, half are Steam users and the other half are MS Store. That would mean this table represents about 1 million (if 2 million sold copies).

I am a regular user but still only get time to fly 2 or 3 times per week. Assuming less regular use from the majority of owners, we’ll guess twice a week on average.

Based on those unknown assumptions…

1 million Steam users / 24 peak usage times / twice per week

((1,000,000 / 24) / 3.5) = 11,904 users (unlikely 3/4 of a user would exist)

In the unlikely event that all the users in a given time zone flew their 2 days per week on the same days every week, we would expect to see peak usage of around 12000 avg over the course of a month.

Interesting that the avg peak usage in your table shows just over 14000 per month. Envelope math using assumed numbers seems to pretty much match reality. Hmmm?

yes, but this difference tell enought. Maybe, the half are not interest anymore

I just wanted to show that the recurring statement of “Millions of satisfied customers” is just as baseless as the objections of the other side.

There are problems but, if someone insistently tells me, “This is not the case,” then I cannot take him seriously either. :wink:

Understood.

I also find it difficult to ignore false analogies as they tend to perpetuate myth. I really don’t care which argument one is trying to support. I only ask we support with data that is not improperly interpreted.

Case in point. 21000 avg and 61000 peak in the month of release is in no way indicative of every other month since. Pretty sure everyone that bought at release had that puppy up and running 4 or 5 days a week, not 2 and a pile of hours logged. I was well over 100 hours in the first month. Then more than a year to log the next 750.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but with close to 3 million sold and counting, I get the impression that the majority of users are pretty pleased, warts and all.

1 Like

The majority are the casual gamers who show their friends their house on a fun evening.
This group is not preoccupied enough to be plagued by common mistakes. So yes, from the point of view they are satisfied.

But otherwise, it’s getting better. Since the last SU, my CTDs have gone - and they weren’t due to my system or mods, or the contents of my refrigerator.

2 Likes

I highly question the veracity of the information. In fact, there is a 100% chance those numbers are false.

And again an insinuation

Check out the numbers on Steam for yourself - google will help

And while you look there, there is also a good chart by satisfaction and months. When SU05 was released, the proportion of dissatisfied rose to over 35%. In the meantime, however, this has improved again to below 10%. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting! Not a million miles away from the poll result.

A million miles in the timing of the poll though.

I wouldn’t mind but SU5 was the best update ever before I got my 3060, 75fps while skimming the London rooftops on just a GT1030 … and then you lot complained and we got the hotfixes which almost halved it. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(In case you’re wondering that was flying in the Solo, 720p low preset with volumetrics off)

1 Like

I had 3 CTDs over a 3-day period while flying in 2 different aircraft, and 2 while in MSFS 2020’s various UI screens. I’ve experienced random CTDs every once in a while before but never as often as I have since the latest update to 1.20.60. I checked my system’s settings and I noticed that the virtual memory settings were letting Windows 10 make the decision to optimize performance. In some cases that might be okay but not when you have the OS installed on the C: SSD storage device, and MSFS 2020 installed on another 1 TB SSD configured as NVME. I decided to configure it manually and I set it as 512 MB minimum, and 1 GB maximum, and instructed Windows 10 to use the same SSD MSFS 2020 is installed on. This was 4 days ago and so far no CTDs.

I have had 2 crashes in 2 days, and I cannot remember the last time I had CTD’s I do not overclock and only use FBW with no other mods or skins and run at 35 - 40 fps.

Update!
I switched from Experimental to Stable FBW A320 and made a few perfect flights.

MSFS store version
Window 10 pro 64
Thrustmaster Airbus SideStick & 2 Lever Quadrant
Ryzen 7 3700X
GIGABYTE RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (DDR4-3200)
Gigabyte 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
MSI Optix 3440 x 1440

I’ve had one flying the CS 777F just - about an hour in. Very rarely get them so unsure what caused it.

That’s just plain RUDE !

I believe the question has been answered for the OP. As stated, this is not a scientific poll.

A reminder to keep the focus on MSFS and not not directing fault on others.

Thank you.