40% of users experiencing CTDs

the event viewer is hardly a reliable indicator of an issue. it’ll through a log for just about anything and they all look like theres an issue

That is EXACTLY the impression I get when I see the team and how they are ALLOWED to respond to issues.

I rely on it all the time in my day job, and have done for 25 years.

2 Likes

A bit of a discussion here:

It’s been reported, and an update is apparently to be included in SU7.

This is one case where the problem is at Asobo’s end, but the majority won’t be affected as it’s only in one area. How many more similar problems are there, not only with the scenery but wtih aircraft, instruments, weather etc, where most simmers are not affected as they don’t use that particular feature in that particular way?

Totally agree, 200 is not in anyway a sample of users.

200 people out of how many users is hardly a representative sample. Who are the 200? It’s possibly the most vocal on any forum. You will likely find they are the ones with an axe to grind who have sadly had bad experiences or whiners who are never satisfied. CTD’s do happen, that’s apparent but trying to quantify the amount of people having crashes based on such a small sample is factually pointless.

It’s not 40% of users but 40% of poll participants.

I’ve had three CTD’s, all prior tot SU5. The memory leak was then identified and I suppose they fixed it.

Word to the wise though: I do restart the sim after each flight and so far I have not done flights for longer than 4 hours. I do read about ctd’s from people mostly flying on long hauls.

40% of 200 = 80 complainers

0.04% of 2 million MSFS owners is actually pretty impressive

0.004% is correct

1 Like

Is it? … No wonder I failed maths at school :rofl:

(actually not true)

1 Like

I understand your approach, but if that were the case, it would have to be the same with many other games and programs, wouldn’t it? Only the flight simulator has crashed so far, no other game on my computer! Please don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy flying in the simulator. However, the number of CTDs is alarmingly high.

1 Like

Not saying you have but many folk have a folder full of mods that were not even made for the sim, that predate it and have not been optimised for it either … but somehow that’s all Asobo’s fault!

1 Like

I agree with you in principle. However, without exception, ALL flight simulators, regardless of the studio/ publisher, live from expansion packs, add-ons and other third-party products. The unbelievable number of aircraft, airports and other objects are simply far too many for a single developer. Of course, the relevant providers also have to ensure that their products harmonize with the core product. However, “small discrepancies” should not lead to such massive problems as we unfortunately experience a little too often in MSFS2020 …

As I said: I really enjoy flying in this simulation, but you should also be able to say out loud that it is still a bit away from perfection.

Personally, I would like the main focus to be on bug fixes instead of getting new features every few weeks. True to the motto: “One by one.”

2 Likes

I disagree. There are thousands of mods, some will have cross compatibility issues and until they CTD how are Asobo supposed to know if they work or not? Or do you really believe it’s their duty to test them all in every combination for you? It is much, much easier for a user to take with just what they need for their flight and pick up on any problems as they arise.

If 40% of 2,000,000 users were experiencing significant issues - on the PC alone - don’t you think it would be a pretty major concern for Microsoft? Don’t you suspect it would get at least a mention on network news?

“Microsoft Flight Sim Doesn’t Work For Almost Half Of Its Users”

The sample size of respondents relative to the installed user base is statistically insignificant. (0.01% at 2,000,000 copies installed.) It is difficult (if not impossible) to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion from that result.

1 Like

40% of 212 respondents is all we can say for sure, and we don’t even know for sure what the reasons are for those.

1 Like

If the SDK used is error-free and not adjusted after a system update, there are also fewer problems with mods.
And as I already wrote, out of 1000 addons, after SU05, exactly 3, in words - three - caused problems for me … because, oups, the SDK provided by Asobo was still out of date. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t follow. Weren’t those addons made with the SDK? So they might not work properly with a newer version of the SDK because they were built with an old version, but they can’t have possibly created an addon that expects a newer SDK then is publicly available.

The switch to SU05 took place before the 3rd party guys received the changes. There was an amusing thread here in the forum.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, 2,000,000 was as of December 2020. They’ve since sold a lot of PC copies and probably even more Xbox ones, though I don’t know how they account for people who use that Live service. But I’d bet it’s over 3M by now.