40% of users experiencing CTDs

Thats me I just voted with my 60 accounts …

1 Like

Some interesting and healthy debate here. I think it boils down to passionate supporters of flight simulation who just want to enjoy their hobby without game breaking bugs. Perhaps an official poll on CTD prevelance will help direct development efforts. Is this possible @Jummivana ?

Again with this.

I believe you’ve already been told rather clearly (and it’s something that the development team already mentioned multiple times) that the developers have precise metrics on CTDs. Not even statistics. They have actual metrics, which are much more relevant and specific than statistics.

They don’t need an “official” (and with completely irrelevant statistical value) poll to be done on the forums to know exactly how many CTDs there are and “direct development efforts.”

3 Likes

Why not? It just means people with issues are significantly more likely to respond, not 100% more likely. But it is self selecting, by definition, its not random and its not coerced, so what else is it?

1 Like

You mention “game breaking” bugs and CTDs but don’t explain why or how or when they are happening. You have created no reports in the Bugs and Issues forum about the issues you are having.

There are numerous solutions offered via the Zendesk support portal, have you tried all of them? Have you tried contacting support about the issue? Going to be tough for anyone to try and fix your specific issues without detailed reports so they can reproduce the bug. Just saying “fix it” is going to do nothing to solve the problem.

Some people aren’t interested in the issues actually being solved as much as they are in simply making noise. That’s why they demand “official polls” with zero statistical value to allegedly give developers info they already have, only infinitely less precise and relevant. :thinking:

4 Likes

This should only tell you that the developers are aware of the issues and doing what they can to solve what is on their side, making this kind of “Polls” (and the many dead-horse threads on exactly the same topic, this one included) pretty literally irrelevant noise.

There are factually many reproducible CTDs that are due to those factors as well, and those will never be solved, as the developers already mentioned quite clearly, and in multiple occasions.

And 11XX votes out of, where are we at, 930XX members?
Still statistically useless as is any voluntary poll/survey but, what does that come out to, 1.2%?

2 Likes

But here it is said again and again that there are no problems on the software side. So how can you solve it then? Confusing :joy:

1 Like

Is it? I see people pointing out that THEY have no problems (which is entirely valid feedback), or that this discussion is not only based on an extremely flawed premise, but beating a dead and buried horse. We know. They know. The developers know. Everyone knows. They working on it. At this point, this is simply noise. And it really is.

I definitely don’t see many people arguing that there is no issue at all.

2 Likes

Well then I’m reassured. I usually only read “It’s your hardware, the OC, the add-ons, the … but not the FS itself.”
And now on, off to the Sim. But before that, don’t let the guys with problems get loud. Otherwise someone could still believe that they exist.

Good flight! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Feel free get loud on the many, many, many, many threads on the same topic that already exist.

You can pretty much close your eyes and point somewhere randomly on the screen, and you have a statistically non-negligible chance of clicking on one of them.

Which perhaps shows that it is not just “a little minority” after all.

2 Likes

No. It shows that people having problems complain about them, and that many aren’t able or willing to use the search feature of the forum, or feel that their personal problem is so super-special to warrant its own thread, despite the fact that it has been discussed in many other threads already.

At the moment, I’m being plagued by an issue that makes airports load indefinitely. I didn’t make another thread on it, as my issue isn’t unique or special. I spent a whole minute searching for that issue, and posted on an existing thread, which consolidates the discussion and makes it easier for others to find one of the workarounds mentioned.

That’s the difference between wanting an issue solved/discussing possible workarounds and simply wanting to make more noise.

3 Likes

That would be my way too.

But, i just always find it funny how the other side immediately jumps into these noisy threads to claim the opposite

1 Like

Again. I don’t see many that claim that the issue doesn’t exist, so this “other side” seems to be a tad imaginary.

And no, pointing out that one isn’t suffering from the issue or that part of that issue isn’t on the developers’ side does not equate to claiming that it does not exist.

Do you work for Microsoft @Abriael ?

No. I don’t. But when the developers say something about the sim I enjoy, I listen. Even more so when it’s something about an issue I’m affected by.

This poll is interesting but is, of course, flawed for a number of reasons. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong, but care is needed with the interpretation. A few thoughts:

The poll is very non specific - a single or even occasional CTD could be caused by something totally unrelated to MSFS and may be a red herring here, but people with a random odd CTD would still answer YES to the question posed. I’ve had CTDs with almost all games at some point or other - usually when I’m trying to do 5 different things at once with the game running in the background :slight_smile:

If the question had been about “repeated” CTDs or regular CTDs or something that suggests a pattern of crashes, then it may give a more meaningful answer.

As others have said, the participants are self selecting - ie they choose to take part and go on to reddit. By defintion not a statistically random sample and will likely favour a higher % of YES responses as those without CTDs are probably less likely to find the poll (me, for example).

I think this is slightly misleading. Sure, this issue has gathered 1196 votes - but that has been over trhe year+ since the sim launched, and I guarantee that no-one who voted for this (and I include myself) who now suffers very few CTDs if any, has gone back and removed their vote. So that paints what I would expect is quite an outdated view of the scale of the issue. I think many people (clearly, not all) have seen significantly improved stability after SU6.

Also worth noting that, as explained in the Q&A session recently, they have got to the bottom of most of the prevalent CTD issues and are now turning their attention to the rarer and more specific cases.

2 Likes

Seb also suggested in the Twitch streams that the live weather only on first flight bug was “user error”. He also put together an elaborate montage of footage to prove that LOD and draw distance had never been reduced. Both those were indeed discovered to be bugs after enough community input and data were provided and both have since been fixed.

3 Likes