5800x3D vs. 7800x3D for VR with Pimax Crystal (Airliner)

Hi Guys

I am currently building a hardware flightdeck setup for an A320, intended to use with the Fenix or possibly also FBW with the option to also use it for the upcomming Aerosoft A330. I am planning a hybrid cockpit for VR, so no screens, only switches.

As of now, I have a Reverb G2 running on an 5800x3D and RTX3080 configuration. Now with the Pimax Crystal comming to the market, this looks like my go-to headset. As for the GPU I cann see that I will probably have to upgrade to a 4090 (or wait for a 5090).

Now the two options I see are

• upgrade my current system with the 5800x3D to a 4090 or
  • build a new system with a 7800x3D and a 4090

The question all boils down to the performance gain I can expect from a 7800x3D setup for VR airliner simulation in the Pimax Crystal. I dont know, how much I can rely on the available bechmarks, since they all use stock aircraft and are not in VR.

So, anyone with experience, similar configuration an/or upgrade paths?

Cheers!

I currently have a 5800X3D and 4080 with a G2 and am mostly GPU limited in VR, so an upgrade to a 7800X3D would not be worthwhile in my case. You can check yourself in MSFS developer mode FPS view and see whether you are main thread (CPU) or GPU limited and by how much, which should give you a good idea of what to expect with an upgrade.

If I were you I’d take the 4090 upgrade option, crank up the resolution and graphics settings to what you’d want to run the Pimax Crystal at and if you find yourself CPU limited then build a new system and put the 4090, but not beforehand.

I see a lot of the times a limit by MainThread (ergo CPU), thats why it got me thinking about the 7800x3D in the first place…

You are GPU limited some settings is to high , You are using 9.85GB VRAM of 8.35GB exeeeding it by 1.5 GB , this will cause swapping to Hard Disk, Try setting your Render Resolution to High instead of ULTRA

As @BoeingPilot8795 says, you are actually GPU limited in the screenshot you posted and you have overrun your GPU’s VRAM, which is possibly why you are GPU limited. I would first try running in DX11, which is much more memory efficient, and see if that changes the CPU/GPU limited balance.

It ususally goes back and forth between CPU and GPU limit. But the first screenshot was after playing around with some settings and forgetting to put it back (including DX11).

As for the GPU memory limit: I can choose the lowest settings, the memory always maxes out and goes sometimes over 100%…
Unbenannt

I can also tune and fiddle with a lot of the settings, the CPU Limit seems so bee quite consistent or at least being tie with the GPU limit.

Lowering the render resolution to 90 helps for the frame rate and consistency but I lose the crisp displays which are quite important, especially the ND. An Nvidia driver supporting to crop out certain areas from DLSS (e.g. the displays in the flight deck) would really help a lot here…

Well since my last post, I went and upgraded to a 4090 myself :grin: so I can give you a better idea of what to expect with a 5800X3D paired with a 4090.

The screenshot below gives you an idea of how a 5800X3D and 4090 can run with an addon aircraft (Kodiak 100), albeit at a remote location in the Solomon Islands, and with a final render resolution the same as what you were showing in your last screenshot post. As you can see, plenty of VRAM for MSFS to play with and frametimes for the GPU are fast, as you would expect for a 4090, but they are also fast for the CPU in mainthread, like 3x faster than yours for the same CPU.

If you want I can load up a flight somewhere more complex of your choosing in the FBW (I don’t have the Fenix sorry) or the A310 (which is heavy on CPU like the Fenix is) and see what I get. I can also try your exact settings if you want, which you would obviously have to let me know. For reference, my settings, which are the same as I was using with my 4080 except custom render scale was 150%, are:

My settings are as follows:

In OpenXR Toolkit the only settings I set was Framethrotteling to 45.

• no upscaling in OpenXR
  • no foviated rendering
  • no Turbo mode
  • Motion reprojection is on “default”

Thanks for providing those settings. Motion reprojection makes it hard to compare setups as it constrains the frame rate to a set divisor of the G2’s default 90Hz refresh rate. I suggest you turn it off temporarily to see how your system performs and what the balance is between CPU and GPU frame times without MR enabled.

BTW, I’m not an MR user but why do you have frame rate throttling at 45 FPS when you have set motion reprojection to be 1/3, which is 30 FPS? Shouldn’t these be the same?

Hm I don’t actually know which settings overrides which (motion reprojection in OpenXR vs. motion reprojection in MSFS…

I disabled it:

Leading to this result:
Unbenannt

So still the MainThread limit… :frowning:

Did you make sure that motion reprojection in OXRTK is disabled too because your frame rate is very close to 30 FPS which is what motion reprojection could be targeting? Make sure it is set to default and also go into and out VR a couple of times because sometimes the change doesn’t stick until the second go.

Also, check with Windows task manager performance view that your CPU is running at the correct speed. Here’s what mine looks like while in a VR flight in MSFS and you can see that my CPU is running at over 4GHz. If yours isn’t, check whether there is a newer BIOS for your motherboard that you should install.

Yes it is set to default.

It usually runs at 4.45 GHz (PBO undervolting in bios to -25) at around 60-65°C

That might acutally help a lot to see how the CPU behaves… I have read a few times, that the Fenix is heavy on CPU and that could add to the MainThread limitation.
My test scenario is LSZH (with FSDT Scenery, but the Gaya Scenery that came with a World Update will also do the job) and broken clouds.

It’s evening where I am now, but I will load up your scenario with your settings tomorrow morning.

No problem, I’m not in a hurry. I just tested with the default A320neo an get the following:
Unbenannt

And in the same setting I took a shot through the lens with the information displayed there by the OpenXR Toolkit:

Quite a few times I get the message there between the FPS and the other data, that i am limited by the CPU.

Here’s my result, same VR settings as you state above, LSZH with World Update, default A320neo, broken clouds:

OXRTK performance info (which you can screenshot with WMR Portal app preview display turned on BTW):

And just to show you what a 4090 could do in your system, here’s what mine pulls with my current settings (still playing with it to get it just right, but aiming to be slightly CPU limited on the ground in complex areas and GPU bound everywhere else), which is 200% OXR, prefer frame rate over latency, VR default Ultra except DLSS Balanced, TLOD 100, bloom off.

I’ll post my data later with the settings others are using. Meantime is anyone using anything to tune the 5800x3d. I’ve read those with the newer 7800x3d are installing various drivers. Mine very much stock.

I am only using PBO2 Tuner to tune my 5800X3D, which has been set to automatically run on system startup to set all cores to CO -30 for cooler CPU operation and more consistently high boost clocks.

Great I’ll give that a go tomorrow

FYI, this is the guide I followed, which includes how to have the utility automatically load your desired settings on startup.

We are about in the same boat. :laughing:

If I hadn’t done my build last year I’d probably say 7800x3D and a 4090.