[86] Adjusted engine wash on roll to have the left turn tendancy experienced in real flight

Please title your post with the number of the line item and the first 5-7 words of the line item.

• Example: [19] Fixed ice continues to accumulate

Release Note Line Item # and Description:
86. Adjusted engine wash on roll to have the left turn tendancy experienced in real flight

Is it fixed as stated?
[x ] Yes
No
Partial

Took off from rwy 23 yesterday against a 4-6 kts wind at 140. No rudder. Cessna 172 steered to the left by itself. Feels very close to rl. Great improvement. Gets more realistic every build! Congratulations!

If no or partial, please give details below on your findings:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this release note item, Click on the button below to use this template:

Is this fixed as stated?
Yes
No
Partial

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Is this fixed as stated?
Yes
[ X] No
Partial

Still no right rudder required on takeoff and climb. No evidence of propeller torque, propwash or p-factor effects.

1 Like

Is this fixed as stated?
Yes
No
Partial

The plane only appears to have left turn tendencies during flight, not on the runway during takeoff, unless there is a crosswind coming from the left side. I would actually prefer takeoff to be more accurate. I find the rolling during long flights annoying, especially since the autorudder key binds do not work to toggle it on/off.

My plane usually pulls hard right on the runway before takeoff, provided auto-rudder assistance is disabled.

With the new flight model adjustments in SU9 I have to increase the trim about 4 or 5 degrees so that the plane doesnā€™t hit 100+ kts on the runway. Once the plane leaves the runway on its own, it has a very slight left bank, however I had already been adding a considerable amount of left rudder the whole time to keep it on the runway. (Note: I do not use rudder pedals)

1 Like

Yes and this is backwards ā€¦ single engine prop plane should have tendency to turn left on runway and on rotation / climbout ā€¦ needing right rudder to compensate.

6 Likes

On my last takeoff the airplane just pulled hard left. Why would it pull hard right sometimes and hard left others? Wind direction? I am having inconsistencies with the simulator picking the wrong runway for takeoff sometimes.

In any kind of crosswind, MSFS rather overdoes the weathervaning effect where the wind pushes against the vertical stabilizer and the nose rotates into wind ā€¦

4 Likes

What was your plane and your angle of attack?
My plane always turns left on the runway, unless thereā€™s a strong crosswind, in which case I need to steer into the wind, which I am still learning and often forget, which makes the plane take off sideways :smirk:

I would replace the word ā€˜ratherā€™ with ā€˜insanelyā€™ :wink:

3 Likes

How much crosswind coming from the right would it really take to cause a real C172 to pull hard right during takeoff?

Good question. So we need to test this RN with clear skies and no wind, right? Is it even possible to take out the wind factor altogether?

I was able to get rid of most wind it seems. The C172 G1000 goes off to the right every time (slowly, not a hard pull), no matter which end of the runway I take off. The propeller spins clockwise from the point of view of the cockpit (I shut the magnetos off, watched the prop stop, then restarted).

Even if the engine is at idle, with parking brake off, and I shove the throttle all the way in, there is still no left-turning tendency. This is at sea level approximately.

Being that I donā€™t have rudder pedals (I donā€™t even want them to be honest, because Iā€™m a couch potato), Iā€™m okay with the plane flying mostly level once in the air. I prefer not to have to use the auto-rudder to counter-act any annoying rolling tendencies a plane might have during long flights.

How strange this is. I am going to test again. You need a little steeper angle of attack to make this tendency a little more pronounced.
Ow, and I flew the steam Cessna. Donā€™t know if that matters?

Number 86 in the release notes refers to the G1000 version so thatā€™s the plane Iā€™ve been testing. The plane DOES have a left turn tendency during long flights, and I find that a bit annoying, even if it is accurate to real life. Itā€™s the runway where the turn tendencies are inaccurate I guess. Iā€™m going to edit my post above to say number 86 is partially fixed because the plane DOES have left turn tendencies during flight.

Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000

1. Ported to new propeller system
  2. CFD simulation now used for this aircraft
  3. Adjusted engine wash on roll to have the left turn tendancy experienced in real flight
  4. Corrected flaps section on the ski version
  5. Added assymetric trim tab values to match real aircraft trim deflection
  6. Updated flight model to match real recorded data behavior
  7. Added fuselage rigidity soft body simulation
1 Like

The C172 G1000 with the new CFD stuff doesnā€™t, it pulls right (left rudder required) which of course is opposite what it should beā€¦

3 Likes

I have to say that I had not read the RN carefully enough it seems. I have to test again. Sorry for the confusion.

Climb rate has nothing to do with left turning tendency, P-factor is depending on angle of attack, so close to stall it will be highest.

1 Like

Changed my wording. Thanks.

2 Likes

Is this fixed as stated?
Yes
No
Partial

Depending what is meant with ā€œleft turn tendenciesā€ (roll, yaw or both) this isnā€™t fixed. It does seem to roll a bit due to torque effect, all the other effects are completely absent, there is no P-factor or slipstream effect.

The description in release note is a bit unclear since engine wash has no (direct) effect on roll. The effect it has on angle of attack on the wing root is negligible, torque has a far greater effect. Engine wash (= slipstream) will primarily cause yaw which in turn causes roll.

Cycling power between full power and idle close to stall speed you can see there is absolutely no yaw or any appreciable roll to the left, unrelated but I also tested adverse yaw which does seem to work.

2 Likes

Maybe time for another of your great how toā€™s? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Already got you covered :joy::

3 Likes