A couple of noob questions about the Garmin in the C172 (G1000?)

1. Can I get the weather radar map instead of the terrain map on the computer panels? I seem to be able to get it in other aircraft but not the C172.

2. ILS landing. I’ve followed multiple tutorials on this and I just can’t get it. I tried a Southampton to Jersey flight. I selected the ILS as my approach in the world map/flight planning screen. I put the ILS 3 frequency in the Nav1 standby and switched to that frequency around 10 miles out from Jersey airport, I changed the CDI to VOR1 via the softkey but the VOR1 green arrow was pointing north, rather than east (my approach heading is eastwards). VOR 2 the arrow is in the same direction as VOR1 but hollowed. What am I doing wrong?

3. Assuming I can get number 2 working, at what point do i select APR mode on the AP? Do I need to reduce throttle after selecting approach mode?

4. What is VNAV and how is it used?

5. What is ADT and how is it used?

6. What is DME and how is it used?

7. What is RNAV?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Regarding the G1000, you might find some answers here:
https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-00498-07_0A_Web.pdf

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00384-12_0A_Web.pdf

I think ADT stands for “Advanced Training Device”
VNAV - Vertical Navigation
DME - Distance measuring equipment
RNAV - Area navigation

Not sure how they are used though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

YW :slight_smile:

Regarding your ILS approach make sure the correct course is selected. U can find the course from an approach chart for the specific runway. This course is then selected via the course knob which is the upper small triangle like thing where the baro knob is. Normally the correct course is preselected when loading&activating the approach via the MFD.

Hope this helps a bit

1 Like

Be sure to set the course with OBS knob to runway heading. It dictates, which radial you’ll be following for lateral navigation. You can tune in the nav radio further away if you like, just switch the CDI when you are turning final. APR mode can be activated anywhere in final, after ILS lateral guidance is captured.

Depending on the aircraft, you should be managing throttle and speed whole time during approach. If you are following approach charts, you will often be in stable levelled flight before capturing glide slope. At that point, depending on the aircraft, you should already have your gear down, flaps and throttle set for approach speed. When AP captures glide slope and pitches down, you’ll have to maintain approach speed. If aircraft does not have auto throttle, you’ll need to reduce it manually. In jets, you may also want to increase flaps to create more drag.

2 Likes
  1. You should be able to. But the default G1000s are so wretched that it can be impossible.

2. I’ve noticed there was a separate CDI needle for ILS. That is, separate from VOR1.

3. When you are on the LOC intercept heading. You normally have HDG+ALT HOLD activated then you press APR which engages in ARM. It will automatically switch to LOC+GS when the respective beams are intercepted. Yes, you have to control speed manually since C172 doesn’t have autothrottle.

4. VNAV stands for vertical navigation. Since C172 doesn’t have autothrottle, it is a descent only mode. It can be used to automatically follow the descent profile when it’s entered into the active flight plan.

5. Did you mean ADF by chance?

6. DME stands for distance measuring equipment. It allows you to measure slant distance from the aircraft to the VOR tuned if the VOR has a DME beacon.

7. Area Navigation.

If you are interested in how the real unit functions you can try reading the manual. However, don’t expect the default MSFS G1000 to work by the manual. As I said, it’s very underworked.

2 Likes

Massive thanks for the replies. I’m going to have another go shortly. Man, this flight sim lark is addictive :smiley:

@HB427112 Yes sorry, I meant ADF.

Click on the right panel GPS, then NEXRAD to get weather.

1 Like

I tried flying the ILS approach as you described, and also had problems. Initially, I stupidly assumed that the ILS beacon to the West (IDD) at 110.3 Mhz was the ILS Beacon for the ILS08 Approach, when in fact it was the one at the East end (IJJ) at 110.9

I’m not sure what you meant by the ILS3 Frequency.

So, the NAV1 Frequency should be at 110.90 and be showing IJJ as its label on the top left corner of the G1000.

Your CDI should be set, as you say to VOR1. Once you pick up the localizer, the green line will say loc1 and a further press will cycle through the vor2 and GPS, back to vor1 (loc).

I would suggest getting this off pat by flying manually, because I have found that the AP can do odd things. BTW, just to be confusing, if you have the wrong ILS selected, you still get the localizer arrow pointing in the direction of the runway, but no GS.

Once you are on a decent looking approach, at about 2500 ft (bearing in mid that Jersey RW is not at seal level) then, at a few miles out, you should start to pick up the GS and localizer beams - loc as mentioned on the green arrow, and the GS as a tape with a green G at the top next to the altitude bar. Your correct GS will be shown as a green diamond.

Ideally, you would listen for the outer marker to give you a clue to what your altitude should be for a given approach, assuming the marker is around 3 1/2 miles out. From what I can gather, a 1000ft per mile should do it, so if you are already at 2500, then you should be within the beam at the outer marker (unless my understanding of it is screwy).

And that is all I know about the G1000, just after pressing buttons to see what happens. As for the other stuff, it doesn’t bear much in relation to the manual, as has already been pointed out.

1 Like

ADF stands for Automatic Direction Finder. It’s a homing and tracking device coupled with a ground-based station that is older than the VOR, but has the same purpose in mind. The principle is similar: you tune the frequency and the needle points to the station.

1 Like

I managed an ILS landing with the TBM, 5 days or so after the ILS landing trophy randomly popped for me. :crazy_face:

I think i was expecting it to fix onto to the ILS signal sooner than it did. I have a tendency to come in too high for landing and so by the time it hits I’m out of instrument view trying to descend and slow down so didn’t notice the diamond that appears next to your altitude.

Thanks for the help all.

1 Like