A Farewell Message from Jayne

To the Flight Simulator community,

This message is not an easy one to type, but here we go.

It’s hard to believe that more than six and a half years have passed since I joined the Microsoft Flight Simulator team in January 2020 as a Community Manager.

Over that time, I’ve learned so much about flight simulation, aviation, and community building. Through the people I’ve met, the places I’ve explored, the stories I’ve heard, and even my own experiences learning to fly, I’ve developed a deep appreciation for both this hobby and the people who make it so special.

Some of you may remember the live lessons I took with ForderLearnToFly when I was first learning. Those experiences helped shape my own journey in aviation and remain some of my favorite memories from my time on the team. Translating those virtual lessons to the real-world cockpit felt even more special, knowing that I learned it all from the sim.

I’ve had the privilege of meeting passionate simmers from around the world, working alongside talented developers, creators, partners, and volunteers, and experiencing firsthand just how special this community truly is.

With that said, I have made the difficult decision to step down from my role as Senior Community Manager for Microsoft Flight Simulator to pursue other dream opportunities of mine.

Supporting this community has been one of the greatest privileges of my career. Whether through livestreams, events, forums, Discord, social media, or meeting many of you in person around the world, I’ve been continually inspired by the passion, creativity, generosity, and knowledge that exists throughout this hobby.

One of the greatest lessons I’ve learned is that flight simulation is about so much more than software. Our hobby often gets described as “niche,” but after six and a half years immersed in it, I can confidently say the ecosystem surrounding flight simulation is absolutely gigantic. Working and partnering with some of the most talented developers, peripheral makers, content creators, volunteer moderators, community advocates, and my own coworkers has meant the world to me.

For some, flight simulation is a gateway into aviation. For others, it’s a place to learn, connect, create, explore, preserve history, or simply relax after a long day. Seeing the impact this hobby has on people’s lives has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my time here. For me personally, flying feels free; uninhibited and joyous.

To everyone who has shared feedback, attended an event, contributed to our community spaces, created content, built add-ons, volunteered their time, or simply spent time flying in our virtual skies: thank you. Your support, passion, and friendship have meant more to me than I can adequately express.

I would also like to extend a special thank you to the volunteer moderators I’ve had the pleasure of working alongside throughout the years. So much of what makes our community spaces welcoming, helpful, and successful happens because of your countless hours of dedication behind the scenes. Your contributions often go unseen, but they have had an immeasurable impact on this community.

I am incredibly proud of what this community continues to build and grateful for the opportunity to have been a small part of its story.

While I’m stepping away from my role at Microsoft, you haven’t seen the last of me. You’ve made a flight simmer and aviation enthusiast out of me, and I suspect that’s a lifelong commitment. I’ll continue following the hobby closely and participating as a member of the community alongside all of you.

Thank you for an unforgettable six and a half years.

As Amelia Earhart once said, “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.”

Blue skies and tailwinds,

Jayne

335 Likes

To @Jummivana,

Jayne, it has been an absolute pleasure and easily one of the highlights of my professional career to have worked alongside you for the past ~5 years. I have learned so much from you, and I will dearly miss our daily chats and messages. Your absence will be felt for a very long time after you’ve departed from our team.

I know I’ve already spoken to you privately about this, but you have had a deep and profound impact on my life and career trajectory. I am unable to properly articulate just how much that has meant to me.

Sometimes when one leaves a job to pursue another opportunity, one says their goodbyes on their last day and then never really thinks about their former coworkers again after that. I truly hope that won’t be the case with us. In the time we have worked together, you have become not just a professional colleague but also a cherished personal friend. I look forward to seeing you again and hearing all about the great work you are doing in your new role. I wish you all the best wherever life and work takes you.

With immense gratitude,
SeedyL <3

157 Likes

I can only echo what @SeedyL3205 has said above, and so I will keep this short and sweet. It has been a true privilege and honour to work alongside you over the last three years, and to collaborate on so many fun projects even before I joined the team.

While this chapter may be finishing, another exciting new chapter begins. I have absolutely no doubt that you are going to make a hugely positive impact to so many in your new role, as you have done within the Flight Simulation community from day one.

On behalf of everybody in the MSFS community, we all wish you nothing but the very very best!

Here’s to that next chapter,
Chewwy

55 Likes