A game for gamers

Found the post where Ross, the vPilot developer talks about it.

A great, and very informative read. And Matt from WT is talking with him about possible solutions for all.

3 Likes

One thing its worth baring in mind though when it comes to things like replay functionality and some other missing components that people understandably want is that this sim is a massively cutting edge bit of software. Its arguably the most cutting edge bit of software thats thus far been attempted in the world of gaming or simming. All the issues that people are having with it are indeed because its so cutting edge and its functioning on the edge of whats actually currently achievable. Thats pretty clear I would say.

So with that in mind its kind of understandable Asobo wanted to get it out, running well and stable, even if that takes a year or so after release, before they start adding ever more complex functionality into the mix.

1 Like

subscribers list

Ah, ok, I dont know that it is that easy.

I agree with that, but the things the sim has been missing along are the same exact things the community expected from the sim on day one. What I’ve seen is a lot of catch up and reactivity instead of proactivity.

But, I guess my gripe is also water under the bridge at this point because I do believe the next year will be the year where a lot of these missing pieces are introduced.

1 Like

The funny thing about VR is that it didn’t seem to cross their minds, just like a LOT of things that the community expected leading up to release. You can see that in the early Developer Q&As. VR, replay, autopilots that worked, gliders, helicopters…they seemed kind of caught-off-guard that we expected this stuff…

To Asobo’s credit, they cobbled together something quick and dirty- but the fact that it didn’t seem to be on their radar at the time really surprised me.

3 Likes

Definitely. I think about that this sim was like this time last year when it had only be released a few weeks. There pretty much wasn’t a single mod to be had anywhere. In a lot of ways it was quite a bare bones experience compared to what it is now a year later. Its interesting to think where it will be in a years time, or two or three years time.

I think they were just honestly full of ideas and what they want to bring into the sim back then, were then caught up by the reality and have had to slow down. I would not hold that against them, as I have no reason to believe they were in any way willfully deceiving us, nor that they have given up on all those things.

I think at the moment MSFS is trying to be all things to all people. There is no doubt it has to be more accessible as does the hobby if it is to attract new people.

There are a few people on this forum that are lauding the so called new blood and calling the people that even MS called “The people that have propped this hobby up for 30 years” old and boring and yada, yada, yada ad nauseum… incidentally while claiming to be a simmer for years themselves?? I would consider myself one of these people, and I have no problems with the so called “new blood” I just dont want my hobby turned into GTA and I dont think it is wrong to say that.

Anyway that’s all obvious why, their jobs depend on it…But getting back to the Topic, MSFS IMHO has a long way to go but also has come a long ways too. At release it was a joke, it really was. However with WT/FBW it is coming to very close to being a serious sim, We have the FENIX A320 on the horizon, also the PMDG 737, both of which are study level planes.

What is letting MSFS down, is the Flight planner, the silly bugs it has, and few other very fixable bugs. However ASOBO dont seem to want to fix them anytime soon, and this is the let down. It hurts the user base and it hurts add-on dev’s but so be it,

Ultimately if you want Study level stuff now just buy X-Plane, P3D etc…and use a few sims if on PC until MSFS catches up which it will do, hopefully.

All this arguing and defending does no good. Some people will never care about true SIM stuff others will and do…and I can see and understand the frustrations because at times it does seem like ASOBO do not really care for the hard core simmer and maybe they dont…and if that is the case as I said there are other sims, they dont look as good at the moment, but if you want study level now or MSFS never gets to that level you do have options…no point in fighting over it in the forum.

As with everything, when someone drops the ball there is ALWAYS someone ready to pick it up!

1 Like

So exactly like DCS then.

They do care for the hardcore simmer and there is enough evidence that supports that. You know what I think the problem is? I think the problem is that it’s been an extremely long time since we have seen a flight simulator with the Microsoft title, it will be 15 years next month and a new generation of gamers is among us.

A few hardcore simmers simply don’t want to accept that MSFS is not “their” sim, I say this as a hardcore simmer myself and we have to accept this and not be so selfish about it, there are many people who just want to explore the world without intention to actually learn much about aviation and that’s fine.

I can tell you straight up from 20 years of experience in the hobby with a lot of passion for it (and it shows) that there is no way this sim is going to last years if we as hardcore simmers try to shut the casuals out of it, we need them in order for this sim to survive.

4 Likes

Are you sure about that? They have just announced a new roadmap, the next two updates will be Sim Updates. I get that many feel let down because they feel too few bugs have been fixed, while new ones have been introduced, but I really think they have heard the call and are changing the approach.

I am not advocating shutting anyone out! I think I said the hobby needs more people.

1 Like

They why would you make such a comment? I cherry-picked for a reason. Maybe ignorance on my part is showing here but quite frankly this gatekeeping and constant bashing I read about how MSFS is not a true sim and how they don’t actually care about the hardcore community is straight up not true. MSFS is not all sunshine and rainbows however that doesn’t suggest that they don’t care nor have a goal to try and make us all happy. Too many people in this community are being selfish, it doesn’t take much reading on these forums to figure out that there is a lot of dislike for the casual simmer / gamer or whatever the hardcore community wants to call them. I as a hardcore simmer could litertly careless, why people get so wound up about this I simply don’t understand.

1 Like

I think you are taking things too Personally… What did I cherry pick?

Let me be clear, about the Casuals vs Hardcore… I dont care if people want to fly 747’s over roof tops landing on 200meter runways, in chase view screaming hey mom I can see our house…fine. But as equally as people may want and should be able to do that, I want to fly planes as realistically as possible and the sim should provide the BASE to do that based on what was said., also Please note I said Provide the BASE not the planes, and the annoying thing is, it is 98% there.

When I see things like Top gun expansions and reno air races being added, but the flight planner is still garbage I question do they care… This has nothing to do with what type of simmer someone is. These bugs have been going on since day 1, and badly hamper some aspects of using the sim.

2 Likes

I would call it an angry mob with pitchforks imo.

3 Likes

This is the problem, why is it so hard for some to accept? They are adding gamey features, while the basics don’t work yet…

All good and well. I’d probably like an air race every now and then. But get the basics done first.

1 Like

Yes, and on bandwagons. These things just have very little to do with rationality. and a lot to do with how people feel about things, and the PR really started to spiral out of hand for MSFS. The word “out on the street” is pretty much now that this sim is a mess, even usually easygoing and positive youtubers like Pilot Studd put out a video World Update 6 has BROKEN My Sim where actually of course nothing broke his sim, there was just a collision with his old addon scenery of the area and the night lighting issue.

1 Like

That was me doing the cherry-picking due to a claim you made.

Arbitrary percentage but anyway this is another one of those posts implying that they’re not actively working on improving it and too busy working on things that don’t matter, what is the point of going on and on about this? Why is there so much speculation that this is something they really don’t think is important? Should it not be common sense that this is something front and center? Do you think that more resources are going into this upcoming DLC than the core sim?

SU6 is probably going to be LOADED with much needed fixes and improvements including that to the how aircraft handle in general. As I said a few days ago there is a 20+ page thread on another forum that suggests the XP has an inferior flight model to MSFS.

Read my above post and as for the flight planner I highly suggest you use something like SkyVector and / or SimBrief.

Yeah, that happens after waiting on small fixes for about 12 months… (cough taxi ribbon toggle, logbook popup)

plus, I bought premium deluxe, which includes bad handcrafted airports. These received no attention whatsoever in the past 12 months. Instead they pump out world updates. Clearly they are putting the focus wrong…?

Every update in the past was going to be loaded lol

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a pitty, but call it broken… from my perspective it’s “Sure, whatever you want chap”. Looking at the comments, little understand it’s not broken.