A game for gamers

Which airplane do you fly in real life? I’m asking because if it is one that is a default plane in the sim, then you may be asking too much if you want super accurate default planes. The PC sim market culture has always been (as far as I’m aware) that accurate-to-life planes come from certain 3rd party add-on developers, not the developer of the sim itself. Or am I wrong?

1 Like

There are some third party developers, e.g. Fenix who is currently developing an A320 by coupling MSFS with a backend Prosim flight simulator.

So I believe such lateral thinking solutions will go a long way in providing new MSFS opportunities for 3rd party developers.

When MSFS first launched there were voices here saying it wouldn’t last a year. And now we are not only here but growing with a tremendous and every increasing 3rd party growth.

Whatever one choose to call it is immaterial. The success and growth of MSFS is undeniable.

2 Likes

MSFS will get better with time (I think I saw a screenshot of a Discord post where in the next sim update all aircraft are getting a major overhaul with their flight model). Also as with all sims they’re not perfect and never will be. Me personally? I really enjoy MSFS and am aware of it’s problems (I also use P3D and XP and they’re not perfect). I do suggest that if you really wants to spice things up check out VATSIM. I fly exclusively on it in all three sims and it’s really fun to sometimes fly the 152 mod under IFR navigating the airways the old school way with a DME and CDI and end up shooting precision and non-precision approaches. However most of my flying is done under VFR and I love breaking out real VFR charts and navigating with them! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea, I know, Multiple PCATD, AATD, as well as Level D sims in my logbook both flying and teaching with. THEY worked so I could…you know, practice things, and so my students could practice actual things.

This is just an unfinished toy that ate my money.

We are playing a game, it’s not a simulator, as it would need to be certified as such.

We can all pretend that it is, if that makes anyone feel better, sitting in the cockpit.

In the current state, it has way too many problems to come near the simulator status.

It is what it is, there a few other game like simulators that may be worst or better.

Asobo should maybe get the basic issues resolved such at the core sim level first to avoid the crashing etc., it will buy lots of good will, to start with.

It is what it is, with hope it will transport into something closer to simulator, but not sure I have the patience to wait for years……

It is pretty I must say…impressive in that regard.

But here you are…

Ahh, so it was a bait and switch scam.

That tracks.

All it will take is Austin getting to even 90% of the graphics and terrain system in XP12 that MSFS appears to have.

I honestly can’t be the only one who invests a ton into this hobby and doesn’t play the “sim vs game” debate as a long time flight sim user am I? I mean I have a flight sim rig with this kind of hardware…

…and I see the whole “it’s a game, not a sim” so silly as someone who has been doing this since 1997.

17 Likes

Do you really think it should be Impossible to make a 172 with either a 530 or a G1000 that fully works?
Especially as a Licensed Product?

Garmin GIVES AWAY 100% accurate training sims of both the 530 and G1000. Have been since like 2005. I had a fully working 750 running on FSX and XP11 4 years ago. And that wasn’t a licensed product!

About 20 years ago FS2000-2004 had a reliably working Live Weather system backed by Jeppesen that ACTUALLY worked within like 30 min of real life. I could pull a REAL DUATS and reliably fly in the briefed weather. That’s not something to expect in 2021 now?

If they wanted to just make a toy, they shouldn’t have coopted 40 years of built up brand recognition, and played on former users in order to sell their toy.

Because these days a “Game” is a never working piece of shovel-ware like Cyberpunk, or anything from Bethesda.

3 Likes

What you should be asking is, do I care?

hint: I do not.

Working Title is developing a near 1:1 version of the G1000 NXi (you can actually download it now in the marketplace). It will make it in the stock sim at some point. This has never been done in a flight sim, even XP. While the G1000, GNS 430/530 are “functional” for lack of a better word they’re not entirely accurate and why the RXP 430/530/650/750 exist for them. I don’t have any of them for XP however for P3D I do have the F1 430/530 and RXP 650/750. Here is the problem though, the databases are very old. The 430/530 is virtually unusable on VATSIM for IFR use, the 650/750 is getting there.

Nope, don’t think that at all. But I don’t think the business model of PC sims wants Asobo to make them. Seems to me that it is much better to leave such opportunities to third-parties, thereby broadening the know-how that flows into the sim, in turn broadening the user base.

1 Like

Working Title was working on a fully working regular G1000 then gave up on it to work on an even less working 1000NXi.

You should have been running on the Flight1 Aviation Technologies 530 and 750 and G1000 running through SimConnect before they rage quit the home sim market. It used the full Garmin training product which could be updated with free ARINC database updates. If I was a betting man, based on when they pulled out of the home sim market, I’d bet it was because Garmin Licensed the home sim use of their product to a certain Microsoft product.

1 Like

Then they shouldn’t have tried, and just made Flight 2.0. Because right now, they’re more in the way of third parties with their constantly changing and breaking stuff.

1 Like

Wait, I’m confused. So this is no longer their goal? What I mean is a near 1:1 of the real G1000 NXi.

When was the last regular G1000 update by Working Title? Could it run Track Up map on the PFD and North Up on the MFD? Did it have a working lean assist on the engine page? Could you set options in the settings menu to even do a RAIM check (i know you don’t need to in a WAAS system but it’s still THERE) Did it have stored flight plan pages? Could you make a flight plan IN the G1000 using Airways?

It’s been a month, and you can’t. They flaked for the “official” NXi that can do even less than their legacy G1000 could do and doesn’t work popped out on a touch screen.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I wish this was higher up!

A long time ago, I don’t even think they work on it anymore.

I hope this happens so that all the all the “it’s a sim not a game” people can move over there and enjoy what they feel is a real “sim” and relax.

I have all three sims and play them all for different reasons, and reading the same old rant over and over again gets really tiring.

So yes, I truly hope XP or someone else creates the wonderful sim world these people want and then maybe we can all just chill and play however we like without being constantly told that “real simmers” do it differently.

2 Likes

Oh we’re out there :wink:

But hey, I’d grab some popcorn too just to watch the kids picking on each other :grin:

3 Likes